Decided to have a fully animated, 8-direction moving character

Started by KyriakosCH, Mon 03/10/2016 16:37:28

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

Lazy again, and this could have been hugely better, but i think it may work as the basis for the movement even as it is:

?
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Danvzare

Oh yes, that will definitely do for movement.
It's not perfect by any means, but it's definitely better than your first original version.
And I rather like how it looks. :-D

gameboy

About the walkcycle:

* His knees should bend significantly more. Right now it seems as if the angle between his thigh and calf is pretty much the same all the time.

* The swing of his arms is very minimal, almost non existent. Is this intentional? Looks almost as if he were holding his hands in his pockets.

Also, what .M.M. said. Unless the character's personality means he's supposed to be dragging his feet.

KyriakosCH

Well, he is sort of insane, and moves in a rigid manner, so even if i wasn't lazy he would NEVER move his hands much when he walks :)

I know about the upper leg part; lazy got me there again :/

A possible alternative size/textures (the rest are virtually the same, though) :

I think the above is a little more atmospheric. Keep in mind most of the locations are dark anyway ;)

KyriakosCH

Some work -early- on an external location, and a night scene:

Views? :)

KyriakosCH

And a bit more defined (the red thing is an object; actually a drawn game on the pavement) :

Do you like the screens? :)

Danvzare

KyriakosCH

You will, although... it isn't exactly festive (cough -- horror 8-0 ) :D

The location was modelled after a part of the local promenade :)

Only the greenish background is a plane, the rest are full 3d models i made :D

KyriakosCH

Is there a visible and abrupt change from the regular sky to an utter blackness in your monitor setting for the two screens? Cause while there isn't in mine, someone told me they could see it in theirs... (in which case i will have to alter some stuff)

Snarky

KyriakosCH

Now? (seems to be ok re that problem)

brightness/contrast of my monitor is at 50/80, and i am worried if the background plane with the buildings is unrealistically lit for a night scene. Views? :)

Cassiebsg

You should either remove the black from the sky by clipping it on the picture/plane, or extend the plane to cover all your image, tat way you'll avoid that happening, since you can't control every player's settings.

Looks okay on mine now, though.
Where did the water go? :shocked:
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

You could also possibly edit the background in your chosen art software and turn the sky into a subtle gradient.
It's just a thought.

selmiak

That flickering light is not very horror! What about turning off the other lightsource and then let it flicker. The shadow make it creepy. It's probably best to prerender this and place the character on a specific spot where his shadow looks the creepiest. Then you always have him in the same spot with fitting shadows and can play this every time the flicker is needed. Just my take on this.

KyriakosCH

You are right...

What about the somewhat eroded/blurred pics? Better than the pixel-striking previous versions? :)

VampireWombat

I find the current flicker to be more annoying than anything. It's too fast. Also there should be a greater contrast when it flickers. As it is, it just seems to alternate between a black and white halo. I'd also suggest lengthening the animation to include a short period it stops flickering and to also include 2 or 3 slightly different flickering patterns.

Edit: Here's a quickly made example. I achieved the darkness using GIMP and creating a new layer that was all black, used the ellipse tool to create an oval, and used feather.

KyriakosCH

^ Awesome :)

But how would one use this as a background?... Too many frames, no?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk