Another random adventure-related thought.

Started by DBoyWheeler, Wed 05/10/2016 16:27:52

Previous topic - Next topic

DBoyWheeler

I discussed this with Stupot+ in notes, but I wanted to share this.

I had yet another random thought related to adventure games in general... it came shortly after this current MAGS started (Oct. 2016)...

What if Phantasmagoria or the Gabriel Knight series were done in the art style of the anime/manga "Death Note"?

Cassiebsg

I'm sure we all Phantasmagoria and GK (or the most of us anyway)... but anime/manga is probably not our strong side, so a picture in tha question showing what you mean would be nice. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

vertigoaddict

If we're talking about... based on the current MAGS requirements, would that be enough of a 'genre' shift? Or would the game still be the same with only a superficial difference in art style?
Or by 'art' would you be expanding that to adding the typical tropes or codes and conventions found within anime and manga? Making imagining a version of GK or Phantasmagoria if it had been made in Japan?
I feel like 'style' and 'genre' aren't necissarily interchangable terms though. I feel like the MAGS rules this month were going for more of a Dead or Alive volleyball rather than Powerpuff girls Z know what I mean?
But if you're talking about making games in general like this, why not? Power of being an indie game developer, innit?

VampireWombat

I'm not too familiar with Phantasmagoria, but I am familiar with Phantasmagoria 2 and Gabriel Knight and I just re-watched Death Note last month. I kind of question why the choice of Death Note in particular, but I suppose I can kind of see it working. Of the anime I've seen/own, I'd think of Tokko or d.Gray Man over Death Note.

But how about taking it one step further and doing a graphic novel using an art style of Death Note? That would make it fit the MAGs rules and could be quite interesting.

Mandle

What if ______________ or _______________ were done in the art style of ______________?
                 (noun)                       (noun)                                                            (noun)

cat

Ooooh, this sounds like fun!

What if Sam&Max or DOTT were done in the art style of Monet?

Stupot

After DBoy PMed me (he also mentioned Yahtzee's Chzo series, which I agreed would make for an awesome anime), I started thinking: what other AGS games would I like to see given the anime treatment?

The first one that came to mind was Gemini Rue, which I then remembered is itself cited as being partially inspired by Cowboy Beebop.
Other ideas are Camp 1, A Second Face and Aractaur.

Danvzare

Quote from: cat on Thu 06/10/2016 08:25:06
Ooooh, this sounds like fun!
Agreed, that does sound like fun.

What if The Secret of Monkey Island or Maniac Mansion were done in the art style of any Tim Burton movie?

Jack

Choose wisely:

a) David Fincher directing the Beneath a Steel Sky film
b) Neil Blomkamp doing a Space Quest film
c) Frank Miller writes and directs the Camp 1 film
d) All of the above

Mandle

What if Simon The Sorceror or Pac Man were done in the art style of H.R.Giger?

VampireWombat

What if Sam and Max Hit The Road were done in the style of Paul Verhoeven
What if the Edna and Harvey games were done in the style of David Lynch.
What if Day of the Tentacle were done in the style of David Cronenberg.

CaesarCub

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 06/10/2016 12:49:08

Pac Man by Giger would be grey flesh-like looking corridors where penis shaped ghosts chase a weird Alien-face hugger-egg with a vagina shaped mouth (because Giger) that gains teeth after eating some fetus/baby shaped power ups... Hmmm this one might actually work.

Edit: Add some Debbie Harry faces with needles protruding on them to replace the cherries.

Mandle

Quote from: CaesarCub on Thu 06/10/2016 13:53:52
Quote from: Mandle on Thu 06/10/2016 12:49:08

Pac Man by Giger would be grey flesh-like looking corridors where penis shaped ghosts chase a weird Alien-face hugger-egg with a vagina shaped mouth (because Giger) that gains teeth after eating some fetus/baby shaped power ups... Hmmm this one might actually work.

Edit: Add some Debbie Harry faces with needles protruding on them to replace the cherries.

Pretty much what I imagined it would look like: And yes, it could be awesome!

selmiak

So, who can code a pacmanclone in AGS or whatever?! I'd paint a teethy vaginafacehugger :D

CaesarCub

If made as a Darkseed turned into Pac Man, it would work as this month's MAGS entry.

Mandle, it's your concept. How do we turn this:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/kM404RC.png[/imgzoom]

into this?

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/wef12QQ.png[/imgzoom]

Snarky

I want Myst to be filmed by Justin Bieber, Zork written in the style of Richard Nixon, the AGS Forums done in the style of gummi bears.

Ali

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 06/10/2016 14:55:40
I want... Zork written in the style of Richard Nixon.

You are [REDACTED] west of the White House.

CaptainD

Snarky Bear, bouncing here and there and everywhere...

Mandle

Quote from: CaesarCub on Thu 06/10/2016 14:47:38
If made as a Darkseed turned into Pac Man, it would work as this month's MAGS entry.

Mandle, it's your concept. How do we turn this:

Spoiler
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/kM404RC.png[/imgzoom]
[close]

into this?

Spoiler
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/wef12QQ.png[/imgzoom]
[close]

With something like this?

Disclaimer: Uncompleted and very ripped design...

But with the whole level redrawn (without the ripping) in this style it could be an awesome game...

Mandle

Quote from: Ali on Thu 06/10/2016 15:24:41
Quote from: Snarky on Thu 06/10/2016 14:55:40
I want... Zork written in the style of Richard Nixon.

You are [REDACTED] west of the White House.

(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

That could soooo work!

Instead of treasures you, as Woodward and/or Bernstein have to collect all the Watergate tapes, and Nixon is the thief that steals them back from you and deletes vital sections...

Instead of a certain amount of lantern fuel/battery life you have a limited press-pass that expires once the CIA figures out what you're doing...And then you're eaten by a GOP...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk