Has anyone here used Tor?

Started by Stupot, Mon 10/10/2016 11:03:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Does anyone here use Tor or the deep web in general?

I'm tempted to check it out but don't really know if I need to. Im not a criminal or a whistleblower or a political dissident... Yet.

Is there any use for it for a regular Joe like me other than wanting to be super anonymous when browsing cat pictures?

Slasher

Well, companies and indeed non companies can keep certain pages invisible for various reason such as security etc etc.

To be able to access these through Deep Web would surely be a violation of legislation, would it not?

Apart from being nosy or for illegal purposes i don't think it serves any purpose..

Danvzare

Quote from: slasher on Mon 10/10/2016 11:18:10
Well, companies and indeed non companies can keep certain pages invisible for various reason such as security etc etc.
To be able to access these through Deep Web would surely be a violation of legislation, would it not?
Not really. After all, you can only get to a page in the Deep Web if you find a link to it. And they shouldn't have given a link to it somewhere, if they didn't want someone going there. Of course you don't need Tor to go to the deep web, just login to somewhere, and boom, Deep Web.

The Dark Web on the other hands requires Tor. And browsing those websites also isn't illegal. Like anywhere though, some websites are illegal by providing illegal content, but I doubt any of us would go to those types of websites.

Now does Tor serve any purpose other than going through the Dark Web?
Of course. It can provide anonymity to an extent, but the government (no idea which one) did find a way to find out who you are if you're using Tor. Basically they found out who was using Tor to visit a website (because a Tor browser is very easily identifiable) and then just sent over some spyware that in turn sent over your IP address.

But there's another much better reason to use Tor other than anonymity and the Dark Web. It saves you the hassle of having to use Proxies to get past any blockades your country has placed on certain websites.

Other than those uses, I wouldn't recommend it for day to day use. It's much to slow for that.

Adeel

Don't answer Stu's questions. I've confirmed reports that this guy has started working with NSA and he's collecting information on the pretext of friendship!!11! :shocked::shocked::shocked:

selmiak

I've confirmed reports that Adeel is a cover name for a whistleblower that blows the cover of certain NSA agents! But imho he's a terrorist hacker that gained access to more informations than he tells us through deep dark channels and spreads fud to cover his illegal knowledge! 8-)

Adeel

And selmiak is my right hand man, but you guys will never get to know this ever!

It's truly a sad state of affairs when teachers don't get paid enough and they have to resort to becoming NSA agents to be able to feed their family. :~(

Danvzare

Quote from: Adeel on Tue 11/10/2016 13:44:34
It's truly a sad state of affairs when teachers don't get paid enough and they have to resort to becoming NSA agents to be able to feed their family. :~(
I believe what you meant to write was "It's truly a sad state of affairs when NSA agents don't get paid enough and they have to resort to becoming teachers to be able to feed their family."

reg42

I have, just to check out what was actually on the deep web. There's a site called the Deep(Dark?) Web Wiki which you can find with not too much digging, and I just went through some of the websites posted there. I also went and browsed SilkRoad when that was a thing, though didn't actually buy anything off there. Its really not all that exciting from what I saw, though I'm willing to bet there's some sketchy stuff on there if you know where to look.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk