Who is your favorite painter? :)

Started by KyriakosCH, Mon 17/10/2016 04:46:25

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

For a while now (several years) it has been Paul Klee. I seem to like virtually all of his works :)

I also love De Chirico. Desolation and large empty public spaces :)

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mandle

AnasAbdin

Interesting paintings  :)
I like Vermeer and Seurat a lot.
But when it comes to my ultimate favorite, it's Vincent van Gogh without question.

Danvzare

Myself. (laugh)
Oh who am I kidding, I can't paint.

Personally though, I don't have a favourite painter. I've not seen enough art to determine what I like the most.

KyriakosCH

There is also Beksinski, although (in my humble opinion, and i can't paint AT ALL), he is just below the (absolute) top tier painters :)

Still very cool vision:

Radiant

KyriakosCH

^ Very nice :)

I like the ants in the moebius strip as well :)

Mandle

I only had time to write my favorite artist's name up above, but yeah:

Banksy, the anonymous (well, I think he has been busted as to his identity, damn the media) guerilla artist of our time:

Hiding because some images are huge and I don't want to blow up the thread...
Spoiler

I could go on and on... There are so many brilliant works, stunts, and actual adventures this artist has undertook...

Just google him to know more: A living legend!
[close]

CaptainD

Mine is Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot.  Looking at the images on a computer screen doesn't begin to capture the feeling but when you view his paintings for real, his landscapes are so vivid you can feel the wind on your face.  His character studies are very emotive, but I've not seen so many of them in real life as his landscapes.

selmiak

in before someone else mentions Dali.
I just love everything about him and his works. I hope I can gather some of his paintings for you to see here someday...

Chicky

Ben304! I'm particularly fond of his expressionist phase. :=

Snarky

One artist I like is the landscape painter John Atkinson Grimshaw (1836-1893), whose style is unmistakable:

CaptainD

Not familiar with his work Snarky but I think I've just decided I want to be!  Breathtaking stuff.  I wonder if any art galleries in the Midlands have any of his work?

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 26/10/2016 10:56:07
One artist I like is the landscape painter John Atkinson Grimshaw (1836-1893), whose style is unmistakable:

Amazing art. The water puddles are unbelievably realistic.

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 26/10/2016 10:56:07

Is that a girl ghost?  8-0

One of my Vincent van Gogh's favorites is Starry Night Over the Rhone. Many people haven't seen it due to the famous The Starry Night painting.

I can't stop staring at Almond Blossoms as well.

Here.. watch this and cry a little...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubTJI_UphPk

Snarky

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Wed 26/10/2016 12:03:47
Is that a girl ghost?  8-0

A version of the same subject was in fact used as the Penguin cover for The Woman in White (who is not a ghost, but is certainly spooky):

I really like Almond Blossoms too, with its Asian-influenced style.

Grundislav

I agree with Snarky! My dream is to see some Grimshaw paintings in real life.

Also, it's no secret that I'm totally trying to ape his style/atmosphere for some of the backgrounds in Lamplight City :P

SilverSpook

Based on my Google autofill, and the fact he's my go-to artist when I need to namedrop a high-class painter to appear smart, it has to be H. R. Giger.

Besides also just loving the art itself, I feel like he blew open a Pandora's box of visual ideas and emotions that had been sealed off, or 'blown out the airlock' as the case may be, until Giger went into the deep-space of his own chronic nightmares and retrieved them. 

As far as influence in my own work, I'd say the intricate, ambiguously biomechanical greebling, and cyberpunk surrealism is liberally basted all over Neofeud.

KyriakosCH

I place Giger at a similar position to Beksinski, ie "just below the absolute top tier painters". I mostly like his non biomechanoid stuff, though. For example:

Shaft #7

SilverSpook

My penchant for Giger has a lot to do with his connection to and work with Ridley Scott, really.  If Scott is one of the most influential filmmakers on not only film but everything from art to fashion stemming from his work in the 80's, then he absolutely has to give a cut of the prize money to Giger.  :)

Gradir

Hey guys!
I need to throw in some digital painting too!
I'd recommend the works of:
Theo Prins
http://www.theoprins.com
Spoiler
[close]
Eytan Zana
https://www.artstation.com/artist/eytan
Spoiler
[close]
Ayan Nag
https://www.artstation.com/artist/artofayan
Spoiler