Room backgrounds -- views, and how to improve? :)

Started by KyriakosCH, Sat 22/10/2016 13:07:34

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

(edit, scroll down for the new pics ;) )

What do you think of these, and how can they be improved? :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Babar

The arrangement and setup seems a bit boring. Maybe you can add some things to the foreground (vases, umbrella/coatstands, tables, shelves, etc.), or vary the shape of the rooms.

They don't look like very important rooms, though, more like rooms you'd just pass through to get to the important stuff, in which case, they seem done, now move on to the next :D!
Otherwise, you may want to vary their shape as well?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

KyriakosCH

Well, yes, they are just the apartment's corridor :)

The first room leads from the exit (door) to the inner part of the apartment, while the second room (which maybe should be smaller) has two doors (bathroom, bedroom), goes south to the living room, and west to the kitchen :)

Danvzare

I agree with Babar, they seem to be done to me.
After all, there's only so much you can do with a pair of corridors.

Although if I had to be picky, I would say that the walls look a little too rough. But that's it, and it's only a minor complaint.

KyriakosCH

I am not happy with them -- nor with any other of my gfx :o

Maybe i should try to twist things more so as to include some less modest models of mine (laugh)

Mandle

The lamps on the walls make little sense to me: They seem to be library reading lamps, and also why is the light that comes from them different colours? Is this a dream sequence or reality in the game narrative? Also, they don't seem to produce any lighting on the ceiling despite their lampshades glowing brightly...

Other than that: I like the feel of the scene

KyriakosCH

The top of each lamp is covered :)

By the way, tried to join the two rooms so as to have just one corridor:

Better?

KyriakosCH

And early stage work (with a number of placeholder stuff) on the living room:

Blondbraid

I like the lightning, but I still think the overall problem is that the wall textures look to grainy...

KyriakosCH

You are probably right. That is easy to change, though :D

KyriakosCH

Hm, trying a different camera angle:

Issues with lighting, same camera angle:

Better?

KyriakosCH

Any view on the last two pics? :) (cause if there aren't issues with visibility i would like to make the rest of the rooms in the same template ;) ).

Final game screen will be a bit larger, though, cause those don't include the space for inventory. Final screen will be up to 640x400.

Danvzare

They look nice, but how does your character sprite look while walking around on them?
Does he match in terms of perspective?

Also that second room seems very cluttered, I can't imagine how anyone could walk around there.

KyriakosCH

He will be rendered again, using the new camera angle :)

And yes, the living room currently is a bit too small. Although there isn't much to do there tbh :=

KyriakosCH

I am happy with the style... Lighting will need improvements here and there, due to noise in some areas :)

KyriakosCH

sulhyd

Are you using blender/cycles render engine for this? You may want to turn up the samples while rendering.

Fred Five

Quote from: sulhyd on Tue 08/11/2016 02:16:19
Are you using blender/cycles render engine for this? You may want to turn up the samples while rendering.
Second that.
Maybe a render with max amount of samples, then import to Photoshop (if that is available to you) and throw a posterize adjustment layer on top of your render. This way you can reduce the number of colours and get that oldschool pixelated look.

BunnyDeFluff

The kitchen looks great. I like the art style of objects in it. Like they were made of simple low poly model with acceptable texture and lighting shade. I like the red table clothe very much. Do not change your art style just to make objects more detailed because sometimes less detail is better.

KyriakosCH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk