Room backgrounds -- views, and how to improve? :)

Started by KyriakosCH, Sat 22/10/2016 13:07:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Danvzare

Ooh looking much better. Much more atmospheric! 8-0
And it looks like you finally managed to make it look dark, without actually making it dark. Absolutely brilliant! ;)

I like the interface as well.

gameboy

Using mainly blue tones is a great way to imply darkness while not really having a dark image.

I think colour-wise there's still some room for improvement.

To me the cold blue light sources on blue/purple backgrounds evoke a feeling of a nightclub. Or maybe it's the high saturation. In a dark horror game, I believe that's not what you're going for (correct me if I'm wrong)

I feel the rooms might look more natural with warm, yellow light sources. Some LucasArts samples:

BunnyDeFluff

The new colored lighting look very bad to me. Who would use colored light in their house like that? Better to use ordinary light for common rooms and save those colored lights for rare occasions or special rooms.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: gameboy on Wed 09/11/2016 19:09:07
Using mainly blue tones is a great way to imply darkness while not really having a dark image.

I think colour-wise there's still some room for improvement.

To me the cold blue light sources on blue/purple backgrounds evoke a feeling of a nightclub. Or maybe it's the high saturation. In a dark horror game, I believe that's not what you're going for (correct me if I'm wrong)

I feel the rooms might look more natural with warm, yellow light sources. Some LucasArts samples:

Something a bit like this?

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Stupot

They're still very dark to me, even on my iPhone with the brightness turned way up.
Otherwise they're great backgounds.

KyriakosCH

What do you think of this change? (united the corridor with the living room, to make things a bit more compact)

Danvzare

Well it definitely doesn't seem as empty, that's for sure. (nod)
It's always a good idea to cut rooms if possible, and reduce walking distances.

KyriakosCH

Now? :)

Living room (with doors to outside the apartment, and the corridor; north door to the corridor will likely be replaced with an opening)

Kitchen

Danvzare

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 23/11/2016 19:25:23
Well? :=
They're perfect. :-D
Well I suppose if I had to be picky, the kitchen does look a little empty. But other than that, I think they look lovely. Especially the living room, which to me looks absolutely superb.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 23/11/2016 19:28:59
Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 23/11/2016 19:25:23
Well? :=
They're perfect. :-D
Well I suppose if I had to be picky, the kitchen does look a little empty. But other than that, I think they look lovely. Especially the living room, which to me looks absolutely superb.
The cloth over the living room table look weird and I agree that the kitchen looks rather large and empty, but otherwise it looks really cozy! :)

LameNick

I would suggest to chamfer edges on your models ever so slightly and use subtle glossy specular reflection on wooden and hard and smooth surfaces.
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

TheBlindRabbit

Gives me creep just by looking at it, really nice atmosphere 8-0
Play Tester for SilverSpook's Neofeud !

KyriakosCH

Quote from: TheBlindRabbit on Sun 04/12/2016 22:13:02
Gives me creep just by looking at it, really nice atmosphere 8-0

Thanks, that was the intention of course :=

Although the storyline is more ominous than just a bit of shades falling on austere furniture pieces :X

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk