Detective Gallo

Started by Texmurphy78, Tue 25/10/2016 15:14:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Texmurphy78

Hello everybody,

let me introduce myself.
I am Maurizio De Angelis, and I am honored to present you the project whose I am co-author along with my brother Francesco.

Detective Gallo is a point&click comic-noir adventure which is entirely hand-illustrated and hand-animated, whose protagonist is a feathered and grumpy private eye struggling with a very tricky case. The story tells about five exotic plants that have been victims of a serial murder. Thanks to the support of his cactus assistant (yes, you understood well!), it will be up to Gallo to investigate, interrogating bizarre characters e solving puzzles that will put his insight and his patience to the test.

Teaser:
www.youtube.com/embed/dQ0QZFCN_Hk

Features:
-   Hand-illustrated Cartoon-Noir styled characters and backgrounds (1920x1080 FullHD)
-   Frame-by-frame hand-animated characters with more sets of animations
-   Intriguing comedy/mystery plot to solve
-   All locations explorable and functional to story since the beginning to the end
-   Exponential difficulty of puzzles according to locations being gradually unlocked
-   Graphic variations of the locations based on story development
-   Game Diary recapping accomplished and current goals
-   User-friendly and minimal interface not covering the screen

Screenshots:

Current status:
-   GUI: 80%
-   Scripting: 80%
-   Animations: 50%
-   Locations: 65%
-   Sounds: 30%
-   Music: 85%

Estimated release: 2017

Our Goal: We are finalizing a DEMO that will be downloadable and playable around the end of October 2016. It will be linked to Eppela platform to support a crowdfunding campaign thanks to which we will add the following update features in the final game build:
-   New in-game animations
-   New cutscenes
-   Enrichments of the scenarios
-   Multilanguage localization
-   English and Italian full speech

For more info, follow us on our website (www.detectivegallo.com) and on our Facebook page!

If you have questions/curiosity about Detective Gallo, please feel free to write me in this forum!

Thanks,

Maurizio

Cassiebsg

This is insane! Can't even fit my screen! 8-0
Looks awesome and sounds very intriguing!
Good luck with the project. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Texmurphy78

Thanks! ;)
Do you mean Detective Gallo would not fit to your PC screen because the game resolution is too high?

Cassiebsg

Well, that is the size of my screen res... but I never play anything full-screen anymore, so... But no big deal, AGS has scale down now. ;)

Darth Mandarb

Is this being made in AGS? Thanks!

Looks very nice.

LeCroissantCyclope

This is truly beautiful! :shocked: Great job!

Texmurphy78

Yes, it is an AGS game.

Daniel Thomas

Looks great, looking forward to the demo and giving it a go!
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

CaptainD

This looks great and, truth be told, I've always wanted a cactus assistant! :cheesy:

Peder 🚀

This is looking really nice!

selmiak

absolutely stylisch! Keep us posted! ;-D

Texmurphy78

In a week we should finalize the demo that will be downloadable and playable :)

DBoyWheeler

I'd like to play this game too!

What?  Did you think I was... chicken?!
(rimshot)

Anyway, best of luck to you in making this!

Texmurphy78

Hi, everybody!

With great honor, I can announce you that you can download (and play) the Detective Gallo DEMO from Eppela website:

https://www.eppela.com/en/projects/10838-detective-gallo

From there, you can support our just-started crowdfunding campaign :)
Let's cross our fingers!

Thanks,

Maurizio

SilverSpook

Looks sweet!  Haven't seen many cartoon-style AGS games like this one.

Texmurphy78

Thanks!
Just try the demo and let me know what you think :)

Andail

Wow, now that's high resolution :)
Will try the demo when I get the time.

Blondbraid

The screenshots look great!

doimus

Great Scott, this looks awesome!! :-D

I noticed you're from Italy - I'm getting really strong Italian Disney Comics vibes from these screenshots! Paperino & Co. FTW! :=

Texmurphy78

Yes, I confirm that!
If you know Disney Italian style, you'll be aware of great artists like Giorgio Cavazzano and Corrado Mastantuono, to whom I got inspiration :)

doimus

Yeah, I'm aware of those guys. Back in the 80s we had monthly Mickey magazine(basically, our version of Topolino, I'm from Croatia) with assorted comics by Italian and American authors. But Cavazzano always stood out with his unique art style. Romano Scarpa was great too, and of course, any story by Carl Barks.
I think it was Cavazzano who drew first CYOA-style stories with multiple endings back in the mid 80s. That stuff was addicting as hell for us kids. We used to run to the newsstand on release day! It was the start of adventure gaming before we had our VCRs, C64s, Amigas, Nintendos, and waaay before anyone had a PC. Just numbered sheets of paper. :shocked:  Glory days.

Texmurphy78

Hi guys,

have you downloaded and tried the demo? How does it look? :)

doctorfargo

Wow! Neat style! The artwork looks very professional!

Good luck on your crowd funding campaign! :cheesy:

(By the way, You probably should add the link for the demo download to the main post)

Texmurphy78

Thanks for the good feedback :)

Anyway the download starts at once by clicking "download Alpha Demo" from the following link:

Nixxon

Oh wow, how did I miss this?? Looks truly amazing. Can't wait to try the demo tonight :D

Texmurphy78

Thanks! :)
I'm waiting your feedback about that!
We're taking in consideration all the comments to refine and improve the final build of the game.

Nixxon

Will do bud! Super keen to see how 1080p pans out with AGS, this is something I've had my eye on for a while. ;)

Texmurphy78

Thank you, pal! :)

I am very happy to tell you that the crowdfunding campaign is going very well!
We are close to reach the required amount, then we'll start talking about the STRETCH GOALS!
Stay tuned! :)

Looking forward to receiving all your feedback about the Alpha Demo that you can download from here:

P.S.2: If you want to watch some funny gameplay (including DEMO SPOILERS), click on the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sRt5_2mS2g

Texmurphy78

Hi, everyone!

Wow, our backers were faster than light! We wanted to give you guys a surprise at 60% (or 6.000â,¬) but over the weekend you actually broke the 7k mark! Thanks a lot for your generosity and your trust in our project. We are really humbled by your support.
So, here's the surprise: As you know, we've been extensively touring game shows in Italy (and not only Italy, as a matter of fact; we had an event in London as well) so we received a lot of cash donations by fans and supporters around Europe. Finally, with all the beans counted and registered properly, we can put that money into the actual campaign total and… wow, we're at 90%+! This means we have LESS than 900â,¬ to go to reach 10.000â,¬ (PostepayCrowd will fill the final 5k, as you know) and 9 full days ahead of us! Let's spread the word and walk this extra mile before we can start talking about the STRETCH GOALS!

Texmurphy78

Yes, we did it!
15k reached! ;D

Texmurphy78

Crowdfunding campaign is over, and has been a success! :P  Thank to everybody!

Now we'll be focusing on the stretch goal, then on the final build of the game, including all the enhanced features!
Please take a look on one of the new locations we're working on! Hope you like it! :)

Cassiebsg

Looks great! (nod)

And congrats on the crowdfunding. :-D

Texmurphy78

Hello everybody,

let me recap the status of Detective Gallo right now.

-   GUI: 100%
-   Scripting: 85%
-   Animations: 60% (we are focusing on new animations and cutscenes)
-   Locations: 100%
-   Sounds: 50%
-   Music: 90%

In a month more or less we'll be getting into the balancement step, in order to refine dialogues and puzzles difficulty, and to improve the pace of the overall experience.
If you have played the Alpha demo (always downloadable from eppela website, please see below) and you want to share doubts, critics and suggestions with us, please feel free!

That would be much appreciated from our side, thanks in advance!

Maurizio

Here is below a new picture of the game locations!

Blondbraid

Lovely art, I'm a sucker for twisted and surreal cartoon shapes, though I'm curios on how the fish-eye perspective will work in the game!

Texmurphy78

Thanks!  :wink:

Consider that this location will scroll horizontally because it is longer than 1920 p.
Anyway, the artistic ispiration comes from the bizarre, deformed and wonderful perspectives of Peter Chan's backgrounds!

Mr Underhill

Excellent background art! Excited for this one. Go go!

shaun9991

Amazing background art! Love the perspective
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

SilverSpook

Yeah that is looking pretty awesome!

doctorfargo

Nice! Keep up the good work!

The clouds have a Monkey Island 3 look to them. :smiley:

Vincent

The graphic style of this game as the style used in colors is simply fantastic. :)
One of my friends tried the demo and was very pleased to play.
I've not had the chance to try it yet but I should do it as soon.
I wish you still good luck for the game. :)

Complimenti ragazzi, avanti tutta. 8-)

Texmurphy78

Thanks! :)

We keep updating all of you by showing you the game menu: here is detective Gallo in person at his office desk, (not pleasantly) welcoming the player before to start the game!
What do you think, guys?

Stay tuned on this forum topic and on our official facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/detectivegallo/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Please don't hesitate to ask further about the game and share your advices!
Maurizio

Texmurphy78

Ah, here is a BIG QUESTION for all of you: which way you would greet the most grumpy beaked detective on Earth while entering in his office? (laugh)

Blondbraid

Awesome menu, I like the unusual layout!  8-)

Texmurphy78

Hi everybody, there's great news!  8-)

GOG.com contacted us after successfully evaluating our Alpha Demo: they liked the ironic and hard-boiled style for a point-and-click adventure game!
That means that you'll be also able to purchase/download Detective Gallo also from GOG in DRM-free version, apart of Steam and Zodiac platforms.

Stay tuned for further updates  (roll)

CaptainD

That's great news, congratulations!  ;-D

helpessfool

Wow. The talent on his forum is incredible. This looks like it's right out of the golden age of late '90s adventure games, the spiritual successor to games like Grim Fandango and Curse of Monkey Island. It's even got that great sense of humor that made such games so endearing.

I'm excited for this one!

Texmurphy78

Hi, guys!

A brief update of the game informing you that we are implementing cutscenes and polishing dialogues.

Clicking on the link below, you can watch a speedrun video showing Gallo in one of the game cuscenes (to be completed):

Speedrun Video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=savIc_kcoeA

Cassiebsg

Looks, nice, but why is the picture jumping all over? 8-0

Darth Mandarb

I would guess it's how the screen cap software interprets the tablet (cintiq?) rotating. Looks great either way.

Texmurphy78

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 11/06/2017 18:47:03
Looks, nice, but why is the picture jumping all over? 8-0

That "jumping-over picture" is one of the references for the key colors of the protagonist :)

Cassiebsg

Somehow, I think DM's reply makes more sense... thanks. (nod)

Stupot

That was cool. The 'jumping about' seemed to be in time with the music but I think that was just coincidence.

Texmurphy78

Let me explain that... the popping-up Gallo picture that you see sometimes during the video is a reference image that I'm using to pick up the key colors for Gallo.
That's it :wink:

Cassiebsg

No, I meant the image rotating in all different directions. DM's explanation makes sense, I thought you guys had done it on purpose for the video. :-\

CrashPL

Nice one! I really like watching such speedpaint videos (mostly because I did similiar ones back then :D).

Texmurphy78

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 12/06/2017 12:51:39
No, I meant the image rotating in all different directions. DM's explanation makes sense, I thought you guys had done it on purpose for the video. :-\

Ah, the rotating image. I have a Cintiq, by the way I'm using Paint Tool Sai software (do you know that?) which is very precise when you draw and/or clean up drawings.
This software allows the user to rotate the image through some shortcut buttons on the keyboard without necessarily rotating the Cintiq.

AnasAbdin

I love the speed paint. I did get a little dizzy from the rotations so I decided to enjoy the video as a music video not as a tutorial (roll)
I think you're talented, but if I wanted to draw Detective Gallo for the first time, I'd need outlines, shapes and dividing lines. And of course a stabilized video :-[

I think you are one awesome character designer 8-)

Kini

I've just finished the demo, and it was fantastic! Great work. I can't wait to play the full game.

The art, music and voice acting are all great, but I particularly liked the puzzles, especially...
Spoiler
...the solution to turning on the high-powered lamp.
[close]

A couple of minor bugs and one very minor quibble:

- After I double-clicked out of the crime scene room, the crying sound effect kept playing wherever I went. I saved the game, quit and re-loaded, which fixed the problem.

- When I tried using...
Spoiler
...the revolver with the 'cable with plug' in the dark, I got an Italian subtitle (I was playing in English).
[close]

- I found it annoying and unnecessary that during my dialogue with the guy in the plant room, after every time I said something like, 'So, we were saying...' to get us back to the main dialogue tree options, he repeated the same line. I think you could stand to just cut this out.

But, as I said, overall it was great. Keep doing what you're doing!

Texmurphy78

Many thanks!

Thank you for positive and negative feedback, very helpful indeed.
What you've played was an alpha demo that we are improving: e.g. the bug with Phil Cloro crying even after getting out of his house has been already fixed.

By the way, thanks for the encouragement to move ahead!

Texmurphy78

Hi everybody,

here you can see one of the in-game animations we're implementing in the new build.
Our grumpy detective is thinking on the launch... of his favourite game 8-)

CaptainD

Can't wait for this one to be released, everything about it looks great. ;)

Texmurphy78

Thanks! :wink:

Meanwhile, have you downloaded and played the demo?
We're looking forward to getting your votes 8-)

Texmurphy78

Detective Gallo is happy (just once!) to welcome, among his feathered companions, three characters that the players will meet during the adventure!

CaptainD

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't trust ANY of those three!!

Glad to see this is still coming along nicely.

LimboJimbo84

Beautiful art style, seeing a Bill Tiller influence in there. Keep up the awesome work :smiley:

Gurok

That's some very clean art. Looks great!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Texmurphy78

A new update!

Our detective pretends to play the role of a "singing chicken" in one of the new locations of the game! :P
Jokes part, this image officially confirms that we've started English localization & dubbing phase!

CaptainD

I've always wanted a game where I could play the role of a singing chicken. ;-D

Texmurphy78

Gallo is thinking about new rules to invent and apply... so, if you have ideas, invent the original RULE OF GALLO!

The CONTEST has already started HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/detectivegallo/?hc_ref=ARQb899tz_q_s45RIVG7lFZQ_NkQr-DwgNIWjm3mEbM7dEcvcownAiafTigF59Qj-C0&fref=nf

Texmurphy78

Merry Christmas to all of you!

In this special occasion, Gallo himself wants to wish you the best of the best... in his peculiar Christmas video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVpfjztbEDM

We are glad to say that Gallo's video is included in the 2017 official Christmas video of "Adventure Gamers" website:
https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/34247

Texmurphy78

Here is a high-resolution, picturesque, artistic-noir artwork of our grumpy beaked detective!

Riaise

I just played the demo a few days ago and I thought it was great! I can't wait for the full game. ;-D

Texmurphy78

Thank you, Riaise :grin: Too kind of you!
We're confirming our followers that we'll be able to complete the game by spring! Stay tuned!

Cassiebsg

Hi, I just dwled the demo and was about to try it but I can't see winsetup and the game seems to insist on running on full screen (which I do not want!)
even though I changed the cfg file to run windowed mode it still run full screen. >:(

Can you provide winsetup.exe so I can run this windowed?

Texmurphy78

I'm sorry, but that demo was running only in full screen.
Now the complete build of the game (we are about to release the complete game in spring) also runs in window mode, but we can't upload it on AGS website. :tongue:

Cassiebsg

Uhm, okay then, guess I won't get to try it then. :~(

Texmurphy78

Here is an update about English dubbing directly from our official page on Facebook :wink:

https://www.facebook.com/detectivegallo/videos/1816729628630523/

Texmurphy78

Hi everybody!

We are proud to announce that on Facebook page we've just communicated the official release date for PC version:
https://www.facebook.com/detectivegallo/?ref=br_rs

30th May, 2018

Save the date :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk