Purgatory - Non-AGS Adventure Horror Game

Started by JoelMayer, Wed 26/10/2016 10:37:46

Previous topic - Next topic

JoelMayer

********UPDATE 2018:**********

New Website, new Art, new everything! Check out the progress of the Game here: www.joelmayer.io :)

Hi there!

Forgive me for posting here, even though i'm a Construct 2 user, but in my eyes there is no better community for these kind of games (or similiar) than on your forums :)

So allow me to present my Game, "Purgatory" on which i'm currently working and i'm hoping to present something by AdventureX 2017 ;)

Story:

When Alex and her boyfriend Dennis as well as their friends Cynthia and Marc are on their way back from a wild night out partying, they get in a car accident on a lonely country road in the middle of a forest. Alex awakes in the wrecked car, her friends: gone. There's no choice but to travel deeper into the woods, looking for them. Finally, she reaches an old mansion, and it gets clear pretty quickly, that some evil force has captivated the rest of the group. Through her cell phone she receives cries for help and eerie messages from an unknown number. Alex has to uncover the dark secrets that happened within these walls before the night is over, if she ever wants to see her friends, and most of all, Dennis, again. But the former inhabitants of the house are not the only ones with an unsettling past and Alex will have to face not just the demons ahead but also the ones she left behind…

The game isn't going to be a typical point and click and to be honest, i was more influenced by SNES titles and stuff like "Home", "Lone Survivor" and Rem Michalski's Games.

You will definitely be able to die in this and sometimes there will be more than one solution to a puzzle. But anyway, let me just present you the first few screens i did ;)

Let me know what you think :) I hope to get some more Backgrounds finished this week. The Design is 98% complete, there is 24 Backgrounds and around 9 Characters. I hope i can make it happen and would love to hear your feedback!

Thanks again and cheers!

Joel

Stupot

Danvzare

Quote from: JoelMayer on Wed 26/10/2016 10:37:46
Forgive me for posting here, even though i'm a Construct 2 user, but in my eyes there is no better community for these kind of games (or similiar) than on your forums :)
Can't argue there. :-D

To me, I think this game looks pretty awesome. The aesthetics alone make me want to play it. Plus I love overly pixelated horror games. They have a sort of fun creepiness that you just can't get with anything more graphical.

The interface looks pretty interesting too. I wish you luck in completing the game.

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

The aesthetics are nice, but the scale seems a little off when you compare the character to the background, the furniture looks huge.

Otherwise, a group of young friends trapped in a haunted house may not be a very original premise, but having the heroine confront demons from her past sounds like an intriguing twist.

Wish you luck with you project! :)

Andail

Looks great. Really nice pixel art.
My only complaint would be her stereotypical and highly unnatural bosom/cleavage, but hey...

JoelMayer

Hey wow thanks for the very positive responses :)

QuoteThe aesthetics are nice, but the scale seems a little off when you compare the character to the background, the furniture looks huge.

Otherwise, a group of young friends trapped in a haunted house may not be a very original premise, but having the heroine confront demons from her past sounds like an intriguing twist.

Yeah with such a small resolution it's even harder getting scales right because i always want to draw a lot of details but shouldn't really because that demands more pixels :-[ Duly noted :)

Yeah, it's really a total clichéd premise but i'm trying to give it my own spin and hopefully make my very personal version of this often-seen trope (kinda what Quentin Tarantino does to Genre Films ;) ) . Thank you!

QuoteLooks great. Really nice pixel art.
My only complaint would be her stereotypical and highly unnatural bosom/cleavage, but hey...

Thank you!

*snickers* (roll)

JoelMayer

Danvzare

Aww, I wonder what cute creature those eyes belong to.
I bet it's a big ol' fluffy white bunny. Either that or a grue. (laugh)

Looks nice. I can't wait to play the game. :-D

JoelMayer

Hi everybody! Long time no see :D Well after some hiatus, Purgatory picked up development full-speed (at least, as far as this is possible next to a fulltime job) last October and we're making good progress! Check out the original Post for the beautiful, overhauled Background Art by Matt Frith and the new Character Sprites and Animation by myself.

Also, i just launched my new website (finally!!) with all the information you'd ever need about the game. A Trailer will hopefully produced in the next few months. In the meantime, please have a look at www.joelmayer.io and like us on Twitter, Insta or Facebook for all future Updates :)

I'll also make sure, to post here from time to time when there's something newsworthy going on :D Hope you like it and thanks!

KyriakosCH

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mandle

Love the lighting! Very atmospheric!

But why was Alex unconcious? In the portrait she seems unwounded. A severe enough bump to the head to knock someone out almost always bleeds even if the surface of impact was smooth and flat. And scalp wounds bleed a lot. Maybe some blood in her hair and some seeping out from under the hairline?

Also: I hope in the game you give a very pressing reason why she wanders off into the forest as her first option: a trail of blood splatters to follow or somesuch. The way the intro in the top post is written makes her sound like a bit of a nitwit. Most people would probably try waiting for a passing car, calling out to her friends, calling out generally for help, searching the area around the crash to see if her friends were thrown from the wreck etc. (I assume this is set before cell-phones)

Best of luck with what looks like an awesome game!

JoelMayer

Hey @Mandle !

Thanks for your very thoughtful and great feedback. Definitely something to take into account :) Funnily enough, she does actually have a "hurt" state for her portrait so that would be an easy fix. The idea about the blood trail going into the woods is also very good!

She will be having a phone (working on it atm actually) but, in true Slasher Movie fashion, there will be a reason as to why she can't just simply call the police ;)

Glad you like it so far and thanks again!

JoelMayer

Hellouuu :) Today lemme show you some new gameplay video on my Twitter:

https://twitter.com/JoelMayerProds/status/989400996794290176

Things are going quite well! BTW i also stream development from time to time so feel free to follow me on Twitch.tv To see the game being created in action :D

Danvzare

It looks like it's coming along good.
I'll probably play this when it's finished. :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk