MAGS November "Afterlife" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Tue 01/11/2016 00:26:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

• Three Guys Walk Into Heaven by Mandle - 0 votes
• Fallen Soldier by Blondbraid - 5 votes
• Psychopomp by Riaise - 7 votes

Well done Riaise. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for January.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Fallen Soldier by Blondbraid
Psychopomp by Riaise
Three Guys Walk Into Heaven by Mandle

Click on the game title to download.

Topic: Afterlife
This month's guidelines were set by CaesarCub

All men must die (some more gruesomely than others) but the real question has always been "What happens next?"
This month in MAGS we explore the Afterlife.
Where do the dead go? Heaven, Hell, Limbo, Valhalla, Sto'Vo'Kor?
Must they bribe their way to reincarnation at the Divine Treasury?
Do they become one with the Force?
Or maybe our former-adventurers find themselves experiencing a never-ending loop of Christmases for the rest of eternity?

It's up to you to tell us!

There are no particular rules, except for the game to happen in the afterlife.

Ending: November 30th

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

DBoyWheeler

Maybe there could be even an afterlife waiting room (like in Beetlejuice).

Anyway, good luck with this project.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 01/11/2016 00:26:14
Or maybe our former-adventurers find themselves experiencing a never-ending loop of Christmases for the rest of eternity?

That's Hell you're going for there, right? I bet there's a jukebox with 10 trillion selections and all of them are "White Christmas"

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 01/11/2016 09:43:25

That's Hell you're going for there, right? I bet there's a jukebox with 10 trillion selections and all of them are "White Christmas"

Ahh man. Don't. I went to Nitori on October 2nd, a full 4 weeks before even Halloween, and they already quite a considerable Christmas section. Absolutely barmy.

In other news, I'm thinking of entering something this month. I've had an idea, but now I need time.

CaesarCub

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 01/11/2016 09:43:25

Not really, it's how Heaven is depicted in The Meaning of Life by Monty Python:

DBoyWheeler

Yeah, I still think it'd be funny to have an afterlife waiting room like in Beetlejuice.

Weren't for the fact I have a lot going on right now, and that I'm backlogged on my current personal AGS project, I'd be joining this MAGS.

Nevertheless, best of luck to all who participate.

Blondbraid

Sounds interesting, but I have a question.
See, I have this idea that I've been toying with, but it doesn't exactly take place in the afterlife, but it's still about a post-mortem experience in a way.
My idea is about a character who is killed, have an out-of-body experience, walking around like a ghost for a while until they come back to life,
kind of like in the movie The Phantom Carriage...

Is this acceptable for the theme of the competition?

CaesarCub

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 01/11/2016 13:22:38
Sounds interesting, but I have a question.
See, I have this idea that I've been toying with, but it doesn't exactly take place in the afterlife, but it's still about a post-mortem experience in a way.
My idea is about a character who is killed, have an out-of-body experience, walking around like a ghost for a while until they come back to life,
kind of like in the movie The Phantom Carriage...

Well, it might be someones afterlife to walk around as a ghost, so I guess it's fine.

Amayirot Akago

Quote from: RulesYou are not allowed to use any material created before the competition.
Does this rule extend to taking previously existing materials and editing them, like changing a pre-existing sprite into a different character?
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Amayirot Akago on Wed 02/11/2016 15:54:03
Quote from: RulesYou are not allowed to use any material created before the competition.
Does this rule extend to taking previously existing materials and editing them, like changing a pre-existing sprite into a different character?
Can you use characters and stories you made up before as long as you make new sprites and graphics for them?
(Was thinking of having a character from a previous game I made show up, but with new sprites...)

Stupot

@Amayirot - As long as it's clear that some sort of effort has been taken on making the sprite your own then I can't see it raising too many objections.

@Blondbraid - Do you mean like a kind of sequel to a prevous game of yours? There's no problem with that as long as it's a new story for this contest.

(Regarding your previous Question. I'll leave that up to CaesarCub to decide as they're his rules).

Icey

I haven't actually released anything this year, been really hard at work but I want to release at least something small in 2016 and I think this may be my chance!!!

Blondbraid

I have been working on this idea for the competition;

The story of a soldier of the german Wehrmacht in WWII who falls in battle and laying lifeless surrounded by an ongoing war,
he starts questioning what led him here and pondering his role in the grand scheme of things...

Now this is just a concept image I threw together, but I hope to make it a real game in time for the deadline.
What do you think? :)

CaesarCub

Quote from: icey games on Thu 03/11/2016 07:03:10
I haven't actually released anything this year, been really hard at work but I want to release at least something small in 2016 and I think this may be my chance!!!

You should totally do that!

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 04/11/2016 20:27:39
I have been working on this idea for the competition;

It looks like am interesting idea.

Riaise

Is it OK for the game to focus on characters who already reside in the afterlife, rather than people who have died?

CaesarCub

Quote from: Riaise on Thu 10/11/2016 15:10:13
Is it OK for the game to focus on characters who already reside in the afterlife, rather than people who have died?

Yes, that's perfectly fine.

xBRANEx

My background artist failed me! I really like the theme but it looks like I won't be able to compete in this one.

Here's the opening scene:

Slasher

QuotexBRANEx: My background artist failed me! I really like the theme but it looks like I won't be able to compete in this one.
That's a shame....   that can happen when you rely on people too much..do it yourself, there is still time (nod)

Danvzare

Quote from: slasher on Sat 12/11/2016 11:20:59
do it yourself, there is still time (nod)
Even if it requires simple MSPaint shapes, we know you can do it! :-D

The backgrounds look simple enough, I'm sure you could do a similar style.

CaesarCub

I agree with everyone here, you should try making them yourself, even if they are left unpolished.
Mostly because I want to see more of what looks like a death janitor :-D

xBRANEx

I started a bit but realized I wouldn't have time.

Here's the walk of the main character, the meanest man who lived on this earth - Timothy Ashowl

[imgzoom]https://media.giphy.com/media/3oriO57z8UtxtXPFcY/giphy.gif[/imgzoom]

And this is his grave. He asked to be buried as far as he can from other people!

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/YsIamvr.png[/imgzoom]

Really sorry I couldn't do it, a beautiful theme!

CaesarCub

Quote from: xBRANEx on Sun 27/11/2016 13:27:21
I started a bit but realized I wouldn't have time.

I'm really sad to hear that, that walk animation looks so fun.

Danvzare

Quote from: CaesarCub on Sun 27/11/2016 15:47:50
I'm really sad to hear that, that walk animation looks so fun.
I'm sad too, not only because the walk animation looks fun, but also because I would've loved to have seen how much this "meanest man on earth" would've made me hate him. :-D

Blondbraid

Terribly sad to hear that you didn't make it, xBRANx, I agree with CaesarCub and Danvzare, your animation looks great and the story and character seemed interesting.

I recently finished my entry myself, here is a link:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=54211.new#new

It's  game about a german soldier in WWII, whom in death gets a new perspective on life. Sort of.
What do you guys think?

Shadow1000

I really liked that. It just took a few minutes to play. Not much in terms of puzzles but definitely moving and thought provoking. I liked the references to Sniper and Spotter. Fits the theme of the MAGS really well.

Well done!

SHADOW

Riaise

It's a shame you couldn't make the deadline, xBRANEx. Will you keep working on it and release it sometime anyway?

I can't wait to play your entry, Blondbraid! It looks really good!

Here's my entry: Psychopomp

Story:
The Psychopomp must guide newly dead souls to the Hereafter, but can they make the journey to safety?

Screenshot:

Details:

Mandle

Well... I've just started working on my entry...

Wish me luck!

Cassiebsg

Good luck Mandle! I know you can make it! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 28/11/2016 16:22:37
Good luck Mandle! I know you can make it! (nod)
Best of luck to you!

Just played through Psychopomp, a really nice game!

Riaise

Good luck, Mandle! You can do it! :-D

Thanks, Blondbraid! I've just played Fallen Soldier, and it's really thought-provoking and quite emotional. You've done a really fantastic job!

Shadow1000

I just played psychopomp and it's awesome! I enjoyed the animation and the music fit really well. Short game with good puzzles. It's unusual to have multiple playable characters in a short game made for a MAGS entry, so good job on that! I agree with the comment on the fact that the mission and story is conveyed with zero dialogue being a great touch. Great entry that fits the theme.

Well done

SHADOW

Mandle

Well, my "game" is finished but it's 2AM here so time to sleep...

I will upload tomorrow in time for deadline!

YAY!

Cassiebsg

Congrats Mandle in finishing you "game" with 1 day to spare!
This will put pressure into slasher... 1 day game? Got to be a record for MAGS! (nod)(laugh)

Slasher

QuoteThis will put pressure into slasher... 1 day game? Got to be a record for MAGS!
Even with four pairs of hands and heavy involvement with other games that even I can't do this months MAG (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 29/11/2016 17:06:51
Congrats Mandle in finishing you "game" with 1 day to spare!
This will put pressure into slasher... 1 day game? Got to be a record for MAGS! (nod)(laugh)

Well...You'll understand when you see it...

I started making it because I thought this MAGS might have been a one-horse-race, so it was really just to give Blondbraid something to win against...But I think it might give someone a chuckle at least...

Mandle

And here it is in all its glory after a few more tweaks today:

THREE GUYS WALK INTO HEAVEN
[IMGZOOM]http://i63.tinypic.com/14v2rnn.png[/IMGZOOM]

Literally a "joke game" I made for the 2016 November MAGS, the theme of which was "Afterlife"...

This is a joke a dude from Nepal I used to work with told me around 20 years ago, and I have never heard it before or since, so hopefully you haven't heard it either...

Its complicated structure challenges me to retell it every now and then as a test of my mind as I grow older...

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

And don't forget to play all the MAGS games this (and every) month and rate, comment, and vote on them...This helps keep our lovely AGS community warm and fuzzy!!!

Blondbraid

Thank you for your kind words, Riaise, I'm so happy that you liked it!

Mandle, I just played your game, and while I've heard a variation of that joke before, it was nicely executed in the game,
the cute background and angel choirs really added something a little bit extra to the joke.

Stupot

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

Fallen Soldier by Blondbraid
Psychopomp by Riaise
Three Guys Walk Into Heaven by Mandle

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE
Send the title of your favourite game under the subject MAGS [MONTH]

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: December 15th

Kitty Trouble

I'm currently stuck in Psychopomp, and I'd like to finish it in order to give a fair vote. I made a post in the hints and tips forum about it.

Mandle

Woah.... WAY TO GO AGS COMMUNITY!!!

Most Popular This Week

Fallen soldier
(54 downloads)

Psychopomp
(44 downloads)

Maniac Mansion Deluxe
(43 downloads)

Graveyard
(43 downloads)

Three Guys Walk Into Heaven
(37 downloads)

This is the first time I've ever seen every MAGS entry in the most downloaded list, especially impressive considering that my entry went up less than 2 days ago!

Hopefully this also equates to a ton of voters!

Twirlly

I submitted my vote, but just wanted to thank the contributors to this months competition.

Blondbraid: graphically engaging with superb animations, both of which set the scene and heighten the action

Riaise: those pesky demons, great puzzles, and nice use of simple yet eloquent character animations to drive the story without dialog

Mandle: I applaud your quick game making skills, loved the joke, and can't wait to share it with someone

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Blondbraid

Thanks for the kind words, Twirlly!

I voted for Pychopomp, I liked the puzzles and characters,
but Mandle's game was fun too!

Dog Rat

Three nice different games. Here's a little feedback.

Fallen Soldier:
Spoiler
As usual, great artwork from Blondbraid. I liked the touching plot too, but the lack of puzzles was kind of a let down for me. Good overall work.
[close]

Psychopomp:
Spoiler
On the contrary side, graphics here are not that great (although better than anything I could do!) but it has some interesting puzzles going on. It wasn't an easy choice, but this one gets my vote.
[close]

Three Guys Walk Into Heaven:
Spoiler
:-D :-D :-D
[close]

Riaise

Thank you for the lovely comments, I really appreciate all the feedback! :)

Shadow1000

Ok, psychopomp got my vote. My comments are in a previous post and on the game page...

SHADOW

Cassiebsg

Three very nice entries. (nod)

Fallen Soldier:
Spoiler

Really awesome what you can do in a little month. (nod) Though the lack of puzzles, makes it feel more like an interactive novel than a game. But was nice to see Maria again. (laugh)
[close]

Psychopomp:
Spoiler

Yes, the graphics aren't that worthy of calling home, but in a simple game as this, it didn't bothered be that much. Except for that one almost pixel like hunting. :-\ But my fault for not looking properly. (roll) Maybe cause I was expecting to get the vase to collect the water... ;) A game with no chat? Refreshing! Not I did got stuck trying to give the torch to Phycopomp and not understanding why I couldn't that. Or why I was placing the torch on the table.
Still, in overall very nice game with interesting atmosphere, game play and puzzles. The music was spot on. (nod)
You got my vote. :)
Oh, I've spotted a number of small bugs (mostly to do with the wrong baseline), if you planning to fix them, I can PM them to you. But have a feeling you should know these already, since they are "in your face" all through the game.
[close]

Three Guys Walk Into Heaven:
Spoiler

Okay... Like some others around, I also knew a variation of that joke... only on "mine" it was the closet/wardrobe ;)
Still really nice entry... not really a game though. :P Maybe you could have written some variations of the joke and let the player choose the lines? ;)
[close]

CaesarCub

I really enjoyed playing all the entres ;-D

Fallen Soldier had a really nice story and was quite enjoyable.

Psychopomp was really nice to play, though I got a bit frustrated with the handling of the inventory until I got that I could not do things while holding stuff.

Three Guys Walk Into Heaven was fun, but I wished for some interaction in it.

Mandle

Quote from: CaesarCub on Wed 07/12/2016 23:47:10
Three Guys Walk Into Heaven was fun, but I wished for some interaction in it.

Hey! Do I come down there to where you work and knock the broom outta your hand?! (Oldschool standup comedian response to hecklers: No offense intended...And hopefully my MAGS entry this month will have a ton of interactivity, maybe too much even... I'll see what I can manage... )

Stupot

Two days left to vote, if you haven't already. And don't forget to rate and comment on the game pages :-)

Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

• Three Guys Walk Into Heaven by Mandle - 0 votes
• Fallen Soldier by Blondbraid - 5 votes
• Psychopomp by Riaise - 7 votes

Well done Riaise. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for January.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

Shadow1000

Congrats, Riaise!

Can't wait to see the January theme...

SHADOW

Blondbraid

Congratulations Riaise, it will be exciting to see what theme you pick! ;-D

Riaise

Wow, thank you so much to everyone who voted! And congratulations to Blondbraid, that was pretty close! And well done to Mandle, since it's the taking part that counts! ;-D

Really, though, I never thought I'd ever win a MAGs, so thank you al so much! :-D

CaesarCub

Congratulations Riaise! :-D

And thanks to everyone that participated :D

Mandle

Quote from: Riaise on Thu 15/12/2016 13:07:33
And well done to Mandle, since it's the taking part that counts! ;-D

Cheers, yeah my entry was just to avoid a one horse race at the time I started it, and also because I really love that joke. And also it was the first time I drew a walkcycle from scratch so YAY! for that...

Sorry that I never got to vote, but I had no time to play the other games... Time sucks...

Slasher

Well done Riaise and commiserations to the other entrants.

DBoyWheeler

Cassiebsg

Congrats! (nod)
Was a good game, you should be proud.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 15/12/2016 14:56:50
Quote from: Riaise on Thu 15/12/2016 13:07:33
And well done to Mandle, since it's the taking part that counts! ;-D

Cheers, yeah my entry was just to avoid a one horse race at the time I started it, and also because I really love that joke. And also it was the first time I drew a walkcycle from scratch so YAY! for that...

Sorry that I never got to vote, but I had no time to play the other games... Time sucks...
I hope you get the time to try the other games sometime, even after the vote has ended, Psychopomp was really good game, and it would be fun to hear your opinion on mine! ;-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk