Trumpmageddon

Started by Stupot, Wed 09/11/2016 08:21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

What are your predictions for the next four years?

AnasAbdin

Earth will complete 4 revolutions.

Radiant

California will declare independence (just like Scotland).

CaptainD

Canada's population will double.

Gurok

If he can reduce US military involvement in the Middle East, perhaps less aggression from the world overall.
An end of US imperialism? No more going after gold and oil, oh I'm sorry, "spreading democracy".
Also, expect a US-China trade war and massive investment in infrastructure.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 09/11/2016 08:21:56
What are your predictions for the next four years?

I think you meant: "the next eight years?"?

America elected Bush Dubberyah twice in a row...Surely they cannot let us down by not electing Trump to a second term?

On the positive side: I predict that Trump will expose most of the corruption in the American and worldwide political system through his sheer just stumbling around in a dark room and not knowing how to maintain the status quo of a coffee table over here or a lamp over there...

This might bring the whole world into a very dark room as well, where no one person knows just where they last placed their cup of tea, or where their other bedroom slipper got the heck to...

But maybe somehow by stumbling around in the darkness the world might have the opportunity to find a new light switch?

I dunno... I still think I'm having a weird dream...

But at least my mate owes me a beer from a year ago when I bet him that Trump would win!

Yay for beer...?

SilverSpook

I'm thinking I'm glad I blew off the MSM, shorted the dollar and hedged in crypto / hard money.  Maybe I can fund Neofeud 2 with the profit $$$ :) :D

I may have to go back and revise some of my Neofeudal dynasties, though...  Trump-Giulanis scale up the steep Forbes trillionaires list. :)

Scavenger

Hate crimes against minorities will increase, as a bigoted president has been elected, validating the views of awful people and empowering them to attack even more frequently than they already do.

Muslim, Black, Latinx, LGBTQIA+ and disabled folk will suffer, and it'll be an awful time.

Jack

Bill Hicks explains US Presidency

I think his inauguration will be held in Dealy Plaza. If not, the fed will make his life a living hell. Or he'll just pull an obama and do a complete 180.

Then again, I never really took his campaign seriously. Maybe I'm jaded and will be wrong again.

Quote from: Scavenger on Wed 09/11/2016 09:36:50
Hate crimes against minorities will increase, as a bigoted president has been elected, validating the views of awful people and empowering them to attack even more frequently than they already do.

Muslim, Black, Latinx, LGBTQIA+ and disabled folk will suffer, and it'll be an awful time.

Run! RUN! No! Leave the bag of dildoes! RUUUUUN!

Mandle

And... If this doesn't look like a scene from some Antichrist/Dystopian-Future movie:

I don't know what does...

(But it's from real life... Brrrrrrr... )

Atelier

Trump may be an idiot, but I think the "WW3" doom-mongers that have appeared are worse.

It's so easy and fashionable to jump on the Trump-hate bandwagon. Social justice warriors have mobilised in force today. Someone I know is joining a demonstration outside the US embassy in London to protest against Trump being elected. Protesting a democratically elected leader in another country? I actually can't understand the stupidity of things like that. The only explanation has to be to gain personal sanctimony points.

The world still turns, and at this stage people should judge him on what he actually does and is politically able to do, rather than what he said to get votes. One thing is for certain though, the cold Russia-US relationship will thaw. Trump rightfully respects Putin.

Snarky

Having become President and commander of the armed forces, Trump's ego swells to even more grandiose proportions. He is hooked on the high of adulation, and responds to any criticism or attack with uncontrolled fury. Having alienated much of the political establishment (particularly the foreign policy establishment), his administration is short on expertise and full of extremists, sycophants and charlatans. His undisciplined, impulsive and downright foolish words and actions, as well as the missteps of the other unqualified administration members, cause numerous international and economic crises, to which his instinct is to respond with aggression and escalation. Hopefully his easy manipulability (just flatter him) and more rational actors in other countries manage to stop these crises from sparking wider war.

Encouraged by Trump's lack of support for American alliances, Russia, China and other states step up confrontation with their neighboring countries. South Korea and Japan respond by rearming, which may include a nuclear weapons program. Other East Asian states make concessions, resigning themselves to increased Chinese influence. In the former communist states in Europe there's a decrease in faith in all the institutions and ideals of "the West": EU, NATO, liberal democracy. NATO continues to weaken and fracture (not just because of Trump, but also by the erosion of democracy in countries like Poland, Hungary and Turkey), and with no reassurance of common defense, individual countries start to arm up and pursue separate defense strategies. There's a worldwide rise in militarism and nationalism.

The US abandons many of its treaties, including the Iran treaty (so Iran resumes its nuclear weapons program), NAFTA (causing a loss in trade with Mexico that weakens the economy), the Paris climate change treaty (setting back any effective action to stop the ongoing global environmental disaster), and more. "Obamacare" is only partially abolished, but millions of Americans do lose their health care. Deep tax cuts lead to giant deficits, and to cuts in government programs and staffing. Anti-trade policies and attempts to "get tough" in trade negotiations with China and other countries lead to retributory policies that may escalate into a trade war. Together with the uncertainty caused by Trump's erratic behavior, this causes the economy to plunge into another recession.

On immigration, Trump's signature policies (the wall, deportation) are watered down or only carried out to a symbolic extent; most of his supporters don't notice, but some hardliners decry him as a traitor. In matters of social justice (police violence etc.), a Trump administration is unsympathetic and tin-eared, and this leads to increased social unrest. Killings both of cops and of black activists, by disturbed individuals who have been radicalized online, increase.

Blaming Muslims as a group for jihadist terrorism, Trump continues to nourish Islamophobia in America. Hate crimes against Muslims (and those who can be mistaken for Muslims) rise. Marginalized in this way, more Muslims are in fact radicalized into violence, while a larger group is drawn towards anti-Trump liberal politics. In the Muslim world, the narrative that the west is at war with Islam gains increased acceptance, delegitimizing American values and influences and strengthening extremists and authoritarian governments alike.

Coming into office as a sexual predator with a long list of scandals, a track record of fraud and illegality, not having isolated himself from his business interests, and with ties to organized crime, international fugitives and foreign oligarchs and dictators, Trump's administration quickly shows itself to be the most corrupt and scandal-ridden in memory, with Trump blatantly using the government to enrich himself. These scandals get considerable play in the media, but the GOP Congress is too craven and partisan to take any action to censure or rein him in, at least at first.

Already loathed and feared by half the country, Trump's shtick wears thin very quickly even for many who voted for him. His approval ratings fall to somewhere around the George W. Bush low point of 25%. Resentful and vindictive, he lashes out at his enemies and tries to use the powers of his office to get even with them. This leads to illegalities and abuses that dwarf Watergate.

... So, all around a fun few years ahead.

Blondbraid

If anything, this shows how very broken their two-party system where the winner takes all is,
when the election comes down to two candidates that few really liked, and it's a very even result.

Americas political system was a modern, equal and democratic system in 1776.
The problem is, their political system was a modern, equal and democratic system...
...in 1776.

The election relly reminded me of this Simpsons clip.

Quote from: Atelier on Wed 09/11/2016 11:21:19
Trump may be an idiot, but I think the "WW3" doom-mongers that have appeared are worse.

It's so easy and fashionable to jump on the Trump-hate bandwagon. Social justice warriors have mobilised in force today. Someone I know is joining a demonstration outside the US embassy in London to protest against Trump being elected. Protesting a democratically elected leader in another country? I actually can't understand the stupidity of things like that. The only explanation has to be to gain personal sanctimony points.

The world still turns, and at this stage people should judge him on what he actually does and is politically able to do, rather than what he said to get votes. One thing is for certain though, the cold Russia-US relationship will thaw. Trump rightfully respects Putin.
Even if Trump will not have absolute power as president, he will still have an impact on the public debate climate and how the rest of the world views USA.
And I'm not sure Trump being friends with Putin is a good thing, looking at what Putin did in Ukraine.
Quote from: Scavenger on Wed 09/11/2016 09:36:50

I find it disconcerting that someone sprayed a swastika on Trump's star on the Hollywood walk of fame, and nobody can tell weather it's by someone who opposed or supported him.

Jack

Except that's the opposite of a swastika.

Snarky

It's a swastika whichever way it's facing. It's just not a Nazi swastika.

Scavenger

Quote from: Atelier on Wed 09/11/2016 11:21:19

God damn do I hate when people say stuff like this. Like Trump hasn't been dehumanising entire groups of people for months. Like he hasn't picked a murderous insane vp who wants to fund torturing queer youth until they say they're straight to make it stop. Like what he's campaigned for hasn't been entirely bigoted and dangerous to people's very lives. How dare you expect us to take it lying down. How dare you say "oh, it's just the sjws scoring outrage points for kicks". People are fucking frightened of what's been validated here. One of the biggest mass shootings this year was entirely to murder queer latinx people, an intersection of two groups of people Trump has been rallying people against all year. I would be protesting too, not because he's a democratically elected leader but because what he's been selling is inhuman and monstrous and the fact that he got in is inhuman and monstrous.

If the only explanation you can think of for people to be upset is "sanctimony points" then you haven't been listening to a single word people have been saying about the very real danger to their and the people they love's lives.

Jack

Quote from: Scavenger on Wed 09/11/2016 12:07:29
People are fucking frightened of what's been validated here.

Terrorised.

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 09/11/2016 11:48:10
It's a swastika whichever way it's facing. It's just not a Nazi swastika.

Nothing is going their way these days it seems.

Stupot

Quote from: Snarky...
Chilling read, man, even if only half of that comes true. :-X

Atelier

Quote from: Scavenger on Wed 09/11/2016 12:07:29How dare you expect us to take it lying down.

I'm not :-D I dislike Trump as much as the next person. But rather than flog a dead-horse I also wanted to say that I can't bear knee-jerk doom-mongering reactions to bad situations. A UK citizen protesting at the US embassy about that country's decision to elect someone is beyond futile. A little sense of perspective is needed. Like I say, even if he's a moron, just look at what actually happens before lamenting the approach of WW3 and pogroms.

Quote from: Scavenger on Wed 09/11/2016 12:07:29
How dare you say "oh, it's just the sjws scoring outrage points for kicks".

Yeah, for the vast majority of people in my circle it totally is. I see the same people protesting and whining on social media all the time about everything under the sun that they read a buzzfeed article on once. Last month it was Disney appropriating Polynesian culture, last week it was checking in at Standing Rock,  today (and for one day only) it is Trump, tomorrow they'll forget about Trump and start talking about the gender-wage gap again.

Andail

Atelier...

Eh, I actually don't know where to start.

Trump has an extensive track record of gaffes, failures, shortcomings, hateful rhetoric, childish vendettas, ill informed statements, etc, and is basically the epitome of a racist, homophobic, islamophobic bully, but people shouldn't protest because... because you have friends that also are annoyed with how Disney appropriates Polynesian culture?

We shouldn't be upset because we have only seen his past and not his future? So you can never judge a man until... you've travelled to the future and back and also know what he will do?

We can never criticise someone that others also criticise because then we're just jumping onto a band wagon?

We can never criticise someone if we also criticise something else because then we're probably just social justice warriors?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk