Trumpmageddon

Started by Stupot, Wed 09/11/2016 08:21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Danvzare

Holy crap.
The people who said not to bring race into the discussion, were the ones who accidentally made the discussion about race by saying that! 8-0
That is just hilarious. (laugh)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 15/06/2017 11:20:10
Holy crap.
The people who said not to bring race into the discussion, were the ones who accidentally made the discussion about race by saying that! 8-0
That is just hilarious. (laugh)
Whenever someone says race, gender or background doesn't matter, I think of this Monty Python quote:

Ali

In conclusion, kill whitey.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 15/06/2017 11:45:54
Whenever someone says race, gender or background doesn't matter, I think of this Monty Python quote:

Whenever in doubt: Monty Python is always right! There are no exceptions!

I'm not being sarcastic: Monty Python has the 2nd most balanced outlook on humanity that I have ever seen (The 1st is Douglas Adams, but he was technically a member of and writer for Python for a short while until he got fed up with Graham Chapman being constantly drunk). The fact that both Python and Adams also happen to be hilarious just goes to show that we can only know our true nature by poking fun at it...

And Mr. Trump is providing so much material for doing just that...

If only he had a sense of humour about himself...

Mandle

Quote from: Ali on Thu 15/06/2017 15:07:03
In conclusion, kill whitey.

Potential 3rd most balnced outlook on humanity...

Andail

Gurok: Just pointing out that there is an imbalance in how race and gender is represented in a government isn't itself racism, sexism or in any way a part of the problem. I don't quite see how you can arrive at that opinion.

However, that also wasn't the main issue with the cabinet meeting. What's truly frightening is that a group of experienced, professional politicians so readily accepted to be reduced to self-humiliating sycophants, ignoring how ridiculous they seem to an observer. This means that Trump has created an atmosphere where anyone working in his vicinity must surrender all dignity and integrity, even as it borders and goes beyond parody. You couldn't script satire more unrealistic than what we just witnessed. 

It's not supposed to look like that, Gurok. Trump isn't an emperor - they're not there to serve and please him, they're there to serve the American people. Even if Trump was as successful as he himself claims (another Kim Jong Il-inspired moment), which probably doesn't stand to scrutiny, that scene still wouldn't be justified. Maybe after eight years of constant success, of bringing unity and prosperity to a nation, as a retirement celebration, maybe then you can allow yourself that kind of self-gratulation. Not when work has hardly begun.

Snarky

You know, on its own I don't think it's that exceptional for cabinet members to give a statement about how they're honored to serve, that it's a privilege, etc. If any one of them gave a statement like this after being nominated or confirmed, no one would blink. Even Priebus's remark about it being a "blessing" would under normal circumstances be an occasion for some light ribbing at most.

What makes it extraordinary is that this was a televised cabinet meeting, with ALL the cabinet members taking turns expressing the same sentiment, and most of them making sure to target their gratitude and praise towards Trump as a person. There's also the fact that this happened in the middle of revelations about how Comey and others were fired after refusing to promise the sort of personal loyalty Trump demanded. And there's the contrast with Trump's own remarks: while his minions all talk about lucky and humbled they are, he ludicrously brags about having achieved more than any previous president ("with a few exceptions"). The whole exercise is so transparently an ego-stroking affair, and the cabinet members come off as toadying courtiers more than public servants.

Gurok

Quote from: Andail on Fri 16/06/2017 08:30:46
Gurok: Just pointing out that there is an imbalance in how race and gender is represented in a government isn't itself racism, sexism or in any way a part of the problem. I don't quite see how you can arrive at that opinion.

I don't really have that opinion.
I have a problem with someone bringing race into an insult or advocating killing a particular racial group.
I don't have a problem with someone mentioning race or gender per se.
My point was that "white morons" was dangerously close to "corrupt females".

Quote from: Andail on Fri 16/06/2017 08:30:46
It's not supposed to look like that, Gurok. Trump isn't an emperor - they're not there to serve and please him, they're there to serve the American people.

I think this is an exaggeration and perhaps a little reactionary in a political environment that's pushing a more nationalist agenda. It's not supposed to look like that to you because you don't want things to be that way.

I don't agree with a lot of Trump's agenda (walls, trade wars), but I also don't think there's a hulking right-wing behemoth coming to destroy us all. I certainly don't think Trump resembles a dictator or an emperor.

I would say that Trump has had quite a few misfires, but also made real progress, and the people underneath him truly believe in his leadership.
They have the right to remain optimistic. I think they're genuine, but I can see how someone might think that a person couldn't be genuine and hold opposing beliefs to his or her own.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Mandle

Quote from: Gurok on Fri 16/06/2017 11:39:21
I have a problem with someone bringing race into an insult or advocating killing a particular racial group.

I think that may have been shock-jock humour, and not an actual call to kill all white people...

Gurok

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 16/06/2017 16:18:31

I think that may have been shock-jock humour, and not an actual call to kill all white people...

I'm confused, Mandle. "Balanced outlook on humanity" or "ha ha, funny shock-jock humour"?
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Mandle

Quote from: Gurok on Fri 16/06/2017 16:37:20
I'm confused, Mandle. "Balanced outlook on humanity" or "ha ha, funny shock-jock humour"?

My "Balanced outlook on humanity" comment was also a joke responding to his.

Of course "Kill whitey" is not a balanced outlook...

Not every post in here has to be 100% serious, right? We're all still buds just talking, right?

Nobody is taking this too seriously, right?

Scavenger

My point was that "white morons" was dangerously close to "corrupt females".

No, they aren't. They are nothing alike. I've already explained why. You can't just make mad libs out of identity groups, especially in a political context.

I would say that Trump has had quite a few misfires, but also made real progress, and the people underneath him truly believe in his leadership.
They have the right to remain optimistic. I think they're genuine, but I can see how someone might think that a person couldn't be genuine and hold opposing beliefs to his or her own.

How many mistakes, missteps, security breaches, constitutional violations, attacks on minorities, systematic removals of people's healthcare, before you finally say he needs to be removed from office? Why do you give him so much slack when in just a few months he's done so much wrong? Honestly, what has he done right???

Ponch

Quote from: Scavenger on Fri 16/06/2017 17:52:22
Honestly, what has he done right???
He finally got the American government to stop preparing for the Y2K bug. :=

Ali

For the avoidance of doubt, when I said "kill whitey," I meant that white people should die.

dactylopus

Quote from: Ali on Sat 17/06/2017 01:17:49
For the avoidance of doubt, when I said "kill whitey," I meant that white people should die.

Oh yeah, oh yeah...

milkanannan

Melania's hanging in there. Thought she would have tapped out by now. You go girl!

Scavenger

Hey, look what the Trump administration has done so far:

Not to mention trying to repeal a law that allows a lot of people to have health insurance. It's not perfect, but it's better than what Trump is offering, which is tax breaks for the wealthy and death for the poor. And the fact that his administration doesn't have even half of it's positions filled. And the fact that everyone he's hiring is a wall street rich kid. And the fact that he thought Obamacare was around for 17 years, proving he can't even do basic math. And the fact that he wants to build a pointless border wall, that's transparent so that drugs don't fall on people. OH, and not to mention the treason his administration committed and openly admitted to.

Why does anyone still support this wretched bloated rotten tangerine again? I can see zero reason to.

Khris

Somebody recently tweeted that the amazing thing about Trump is that he doesn't have a single redeeming quality.
It's basically true, and it gets funnier and more sad the longer you think about it.

milkanannan

Quote from: Scavenger on Wed 26/07/2017 16:57:40

Why does anyone still support this wretched bloated rotten tangerine again? I can see zero reason to.

I guess that's the beautiful thing about presidential terms - they aren't forever.(laugh)

Scavenger

Unfortunately, this administration is likely to murder and terrorise a lot of people during it's time, so "it ends eventually" is cold comfort.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk