Background for a 1930's office/study

Started by Fred Five, Thu 10/11/2016 13:07:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Five

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/MI66e1E.png[/imgzoom]

Work in progress on a background for Indiana Jones and the Seven Cities of Gold. Additional details are going to be added, adjustments and so forth :)

CaptainD

To me, it is a thing of beauty. (nod)  Interested to know if the intricate lighting will affect the character sprites the walk in the area by the windows though.

Fred Five

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 10/11/2016 13:10:49
Interested to know if the intricate lighting will affect the character sprites the walk in the area by the windows though.
As I am not the programmer on the project, I cannot say. But the lightshafts coming from the window, are painted on a seperate transparent layer, so I reckon it should be possible :)

CaptainD

Quote from: Fred Five on Thu 10/11/2016 13:15:04
Interested to know if the intricate lighting will affect the character sprites the walk in the area by the windows though.
As I am not the programmer on the project, I cannot say. But the lightshafts coming from the window, are painted on a seperate transparent layer, so I reckon it should be possible :)

If it could be made to work, that would look pretty awesome.  Anyway terrific work on that background!

Fred Five

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 10/11/2016 13:42:33
Anyway terrific work on that background!

Thanks a lot man, much appreciated! (nod)

xBRANEx

This looks perfect to me. Would love to see how will you improve it. And what are the flaws now? (or not flaws, just things that are missing)

Only thing that maybe looks unnatural to me is the light on the ceiling, not sure.

ThreeOhFour

I like it! I think the door seems very wide, considering the angle we're seeing it at. Perhaps it could be slimmed a touch.

Fred Five

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Thu 10/11/2016 16:05:48
I like it! I think the door seems very wide, considering the angle we're seeing it at. Perhaps it could be slimmed a touch.

Thanks a lot man! Yeah you're right. The door's is to wide. Gonna shrink it down a few pixels. Thanks for the input!

Fred Five

Update:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/qufvN9a.png[/imgzoom]

Fixed door width (Thanks ThreeOhFour)
Fixed glow from chandelier (Thanks xBRANEx)

Added: Idols, photos and junk ;)

Snarky

I'd cut the width of the door by another third, TBH. Looks very nice otherwise, though.

I think the problem with light effects in adventure games is usually that the character doesn't cast a proper shadow. If Indy stands somewhere in the shafts of light from the window, they really shouldn't pass through him as if he's not there, and if he stands in front of the window but you can't see him silhouetted on the floor it'll look pretty obviously fake. It's tricky, technically speaking, to achieve a convincing effect.

selmiak

just move the doorknob to the middle and add another one and make it a double door. seems fitting for that study room.

Danvzare

Absolutely beautiful! :-D

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 11/11/2016 01:01:25
just move the doorknob to the middle and add another one and make it a double door. seems fitting for that study room.
I actually thought it was a double door in the original picture, until I noticed it only had one door handle.

Quote from: Fred Five on Thu 10/11/2016 13:15:04
Ooh, I wonder what it would look like with the light shafts as separate partially transparent objects that can overlay Indy depending on whether you're in front of behind them.
I bet it would look good.

Cassiebsg

Looks beautiful! (nod)
To me the only thing that looks off, is the chair. Feels like it's "falling" towards the camera. And if Indy is at the correct size, the chair now looks a bit too small also.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Fred Five

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 11/11/2016 01:01:25

Ha! Should've thought of that earlier (laugh)

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 10/11/2016 17:46:47
I'd cut the width of the door by another third, TBH. Looks very nice otherwise, though.

I think the problem with light effects in adventure games is usually that the character doesn't cast a proper shadow. If Indy stands somewhere in the shafts of light from the window, they really shouldn't pass through him as if he's not there, and if he stands in front of the window but you can't see him silhouetted on the floor it'll look pretty obviously fake. It's tricky, technically speaking, to achieve a convincing effect.

Yeah I get your point about the lighting. Absolutely. But imho it's not a game breaker if there's not realistic shadows. One has got to remember the computing power limitations of the early 90's ;) Though it would be cool if it was possible to mask out the lit areas on the floor and draw a sprite which would create the illusion of a cast shadow. In this case,it's not an important room, so a work around could be just to have no characters in direct light.

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 11/11/2016 14:54:07
Looks beautiful! (nod)
To me the only thing that looks off, is the chair. Feels like it's "falling" towards the camera. And if Indy is at the correct size, the chair now looks a bit too small also.
Hmm I dunno.. Maybe the leg of the chair furthest to the right is a bit off. But with the perspective grid turned on it doesn't look criminal.
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/N4D5JRz.jpg[/imgzoom]

Andail

Yeah the perspective of the chair is off, which you'd see if you studied your own grid better ;)

Look at how the armrests are drawn at very different heights, even though the perspective line close to the right one is perfectly horisontal. The seat itself should also be flatter, almost only a line.

My only other gripe would be the mix of AA and non-AA edges, most noticably on the "roof" on top of the pillars (no idea what the architectural term would be) and the window mullions, which look like traditional pixel art, but most other lines have AA on them.

Regards,
the resident nitpick

Fred Five

Thanks for pointing out those issues Andail. Great to get some critique so I can improve(nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk