Tales - $4 bundle!

Started by , Mon 14/11/2016 21:44:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Cheers Fitz for the awesome review there!!!

Quote from: Fitz on Fri 18/11/2016 10:25:08
The one thing that amused me was everyone saying "dude" (or "man" in Enkidu's case, though that might've been his nickname for Gilgamesh, perhaps?) like they're surfer dudes ;)

Some background on "dude":
Spoiler
This was a running joke that was born through Andrea's and my translation chats...

His original rough "guide" translations had the word "dude" in them and I found it so charming in the game that I asked him if we could have at least one character per book that said "dude"... Andrea was totally on board for it and so we included it as a running joke...

I think it really works to make accessible for the player what otherwise could have been stale classical speech from these old classical characters...

Another of my favorites is:

Spoiler
"Art thou crazy?!" from Dante
[close]
[close]

About Enkidu's "man":

Spoiler

I was a bit worried about the "man" in Enkidu's speech until I heard the voice actor say it. I was worried it might rob that scene of its emotion by making it part of the running gag of "dude". But when I heard it said by the actor it felt for me more like it cemented their intimate friendship and also that the player was already used to the comical "dude" so the heartfelt "man" had earned its place in the scene and could be accepted not as a joke, but as part of the tone of the language of the game and be taken seriously...Anyways, long story short: The voice actor saved my ass right there... (laugh)
[close]

Also: why so surprised about who my voice character was?

Spoiler
I actually had my wife listen to those scenes and she couldn't pick what voice I was... So I guess I did alright...(laugh)
[close]

Quote from: Fitz on Fri 18/11/2016 10:25:08
It was a grand, beautiful journey -- beautifully drawn by Andrea.

The graphics were gorgeous,

After playing through the game as many dozens of times as I have: One thing I always wanted to say was that any one screen, whether it be a regular background, or a cutscene, would never look out of place in a gorgeous picture book...

And this really helped me in being able to play the game as many times as I had to: I was always looking forward to seeing the next scene, and also hearing the music, and watching the cinematic transitions...

The game always pulled me onwards like as if I was watching a favorite movie over again, or, as Alfred said (paraphrased) :

Spoiler
"I'll miss my old friends...By which I mean the characters in the books of this library..."

And I will miss them, and most likely come back every year or so and play the game over again just to smile and meet up with my favorites all over again...

I already know who my favorite character is: But I will leave that until voting for the next AGS awards comes around:
[close]

Fitz

Well, your favorite character better be the one I'm thinking ;)

I can echo your sentiments. My experience of the actual game in its full splendor was just a few days, but it did feel special. Like the Little Big Adventure games, it was a world I'd love to stick around in, have another visit to all the places in the epilogue perhaps, check up on all the crazy people and the beautiful locations. Sequel, maybe?

And I was surprised to learn via the credits at the end that Thrym was you. You know, the "it's nice to put a cartoon ice giant voice to an avatar" kinda way ;) I myself have the most fun with doing voices that don't sound like me at all, and especially creepy monster voices -- so Oblivion was a ton of fun to record. Sore throat for a couple of days, but totally worth it!

Mandle

AprilSkies

Nice one ^_^
but Fitz's review is still the best one ^_^ thanks DUDE!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

splat44

Well done and I absolutely like those voices! Volume is perfect!

Nixxon

This looks great! Well done on the release. Can't wait to give it a whirl.

Hobo

Congrats! It's always good to see a quality AGS game get its commercial release. I do remember enjoying the Tech Demo a couple of years ago and I'm pretty confident that I'll enjoy the final product. Haven't seen much in terms of reviews, articles and interviews though, hopefully the press will pick it up and you'll get some more buzz around the game.

The Great Underground Empire

Congrats on the release.  Any news on Kinky Island, since I donated $100 to your Indiegogo three years ago, and all we've gotten since was "you'll have something this year...no this year...no wait, this year" update e-mails, as you pile on newer, more-profitable-to-you projects instead?

m0ds

Rather than you or I derail this thread, I'll post an update and a direct response to what you just said in its GiP thread soon enough. In the meantime, there is also this update which explains how time since your pledge is for this games benefit, it's now listed on site at Screen7.uk, it's in a recent video on my youtube, new music on soundcloud and it's about to be up on Greenlight (and get a GiP thread overhaul here). Right now though, your support for Tales, is appreciated.

Frodo

So... are we likely to see this on GOG?

Screen 7 still hasn't said anything about this. 

m0ds

Heh, yes sorry it was tentative right up to release.

Spoiler
But also, Screen 7 does not use AGS as the priority means of news deliverance... try Twitter, where there's a pinned Tweet for the last week that says "It was not accepted by GOG". But I suppose you provoke a reaction somewhere like here where I can type more than 40 words, and you get one. They didn't like the art or voices. The fucking art man, they didn't like it. I can understand the voices but the art? This is why when "GOG only customers" crop up I just sigh. You don't know the half of it...not only for this game but for every indie game that has to deal with them. Look at all those lovely rejected games this year that you "GOG only" "support". Nelly Cootalot, Demetrios, Corrosion, Tales, probably a list longer than my arm. Literally god only knows what those were rejected on, but I bet every one of those developers feel real good. Feel supported. Thanks for not buying them, y'know, simply because you can't get it at GOG. Because they don't meet the quality you expect (despite knowing their entire production inside out from these forums). There's actually a big barrier with them, for everyone. Even you when you reach that point, have fun with it..! I was probably naive when they requested changes to Samaritan Paradox in order to distribute it...to distribute it - not publish, not develop, just distribute, but I won't stand for that again, not from a distributor, when you have Steam and Humble lining up for your work. In fact the entire future of Screen 7 + GOG is on the verge of going up in smoke, I'll tell you that. Valve are our supporters. Through and through, and without question. Valve. And if you can make games work on Steam then you have a viable career ahead of you. I thank them for that. With GOG it feels completely different. Like I said I bet everyone who gets rejected is feeling really into adventure games right now--oh wait no of course none of them have done anything else since. GOG has a positive impact on our sector, shall we harp that? Seriously? If you want to play the GOG distribution game then yes you are commendable for putting up with that but the exclusivity is counter-intuitive to all your (our) creative friends trying to deliver their game to YOU. Our supporter at GOG, Jeremi - left the company. Jeremi got us there in the first place and since his departure the "support" towards our catalogue has dropped off a cliff. I'm not bothered by GOG's decision, I'm used to this from them now. My point is from here out, GOG can come to me if they want our games. Because screw going to them, if things like the art in a low res point and click traditional adventure is considered detrimental by them. We do okay with the distributors that don't rip our games apart. LOL, ok rant over, but whatever. Now you know, right? Something was "said" ;)
[close]

Frodo

Well, thanks for your reply, Screen 7.  Not everyone uses twitter, so a lot of people, myself included, didn't know this. And when I see developers only using twitter to keep fans informed, and neglect to inform fans on other sites they have announced their game on... I just sigh! 

I can understand your frustration with GOG - it must be disappointing.  But MANY of us will not support steam games, because we don't like DRM in our games.  And steam is DRM.

If you want to know why people support GOG, it's because of their DRM-free policy.  It shows that adding DRM to a game is a waste of time, money, and effort. 
But since GOG is not an option in this case, I will be buying in from Screen 7 website. 

Congrats on release.  :smiley:

cat

We started playing two days ago and so far are really enjoying it! Looking forward to continuing tonight.

@Frodo: Isn't Humble DRM-free? We have Tales from Steam, but I bought stuff from Humble before and had no issues with DRM.

Frodo

Cat, yes Humble offers DRM-free for this game.  But I was trying to explain to Screen 7 why people dislike steam.   :smiley:

Fitz

One of the problems people have with Steam is that it's like you don't OWN the game you bought, you're just sort of borrowing them -- and if one day Valve decides to take them down for whatever reason, they're just gone from your library and that's it. I haven't heard of that many titles that this happened to, but I did have my eye on certain Marvel Comic games, and they were taken down over some licensing issues between the developer and Marvel. But none of the games I owned got ever taken down. Meanwhile, one day I decided I'd love to give GTA4 a whirl after a long break, and logged onto my GOG library only to find it gone because reasons. My bad for not backing the installation file up somewhere -- but still, not nice to throw my toys away just because I haven't played them in a while.

So yeah, I don't trust either of them. I do tend to favor GOG, but if Steam is the only way I can get the game, then Steam it is.

Babar

Quote from: Fitz on Thu 24/11/2016 13:35:13
One of the problems people have with Steam is that it's like you don't OWN the game you bought, you're just sort of borrowing them -- and if one day Valve decides to take them down for whatever reason, they're just gone from your library and that's it. I haven't heard of that many titles that this happened to, but I did have my eye on certain Marvel Comic games, and they were taken down over some licensing issues between the developer and Marvel. But none of the games I owned got ever taken down. Meanwhile, one day I decided I'd love to give GTA4 a whirl after a long break, and logged onto my GOG library only to find it gone because reasons. My bad for not backing the installation file up somewhere -- but still, not nice to throw my toys away just because I haven't played them in a while.

So yeah, I don't trust either of them. I do tend to favor GOG, but if Steam is the only way I can get the game, then Steam it is.
Probably not the best place for this discussion, but GOG has never had any GTA game, and even for games removed from Steam, if you bought it, you can still download and play it.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Fitz

Oops, my bad. It seems I got something really mixed up here. I realized I meant San Andreas. Then I checked back and it turns out you're right, it never was on GOG. OH well, I'm getting old, and that was long ago.

So anyway, I was thinking... Tales could really become AGS's Kyrandia. You've kind of set up a possible beginning for a sequel, and in part three you could twist it around and make the villain the protagonist! (laugh)

m0ds

If you own the game on Steam, please leave a review (you don't have to type anything). This really would help us all out. Thank you!

Mandle

I've just found a Let's Play of Tales done by a youtuber called 123Pazu. It seems he livestreamed a complete(?) playthrough of the game and the videos are currently being uploaded in 15 minute segments (parts 1 & 2 are up at the moment):

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv_2SQLNWWxYoBMjr2vaw9axAei7ouJTD

I've found several other walkthrough series of Tales on youtube as well, but this is the first I've found with commentary... And without that it's a bit dry and boring...

But, it's SO interesting to watch how somebody who has no idea what the game is about react to the story and gameplay!

EDIT: He's up to episode 7 so far...And when he mentions the hints from "Mandevil" in eps 6&7...That's me...He had a tad of trouble with the tavern door riddle so I helped him out in comments...

EDIT 2: Pazu is continuing the series after a few weeks break from it and has just mentioned that he plans to finish the game by the end of this week (I post this edit on Jan 12th, 2017)

Mandle

I've found another Let's Play of Tales on youtube, and this one is SOOOOO charming because it seems that it's a father and his child playing the game together, and also it looks like they have only just started their youtube channel together and that Tales is their first full Let's Play series!!!

I had a grin on my face through every episode so far!

Here's the link to their first episode and then you can find one after the next from there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_1sq1qfDr8

;-D

EDIT: Also, it seems that they played the free demo on steam and liked it so much that they bought the game to play together for their channel... So kudos to the demo!

EDIT 2: Kudos as well to Mark (Mods) for having us take out the light druggie humour at one point or this father/child lets play might have gotten uncomfortable...

EDIT 3: Actually I just found out that this playthrough is a guy playing the game with his little sister. I think they are from India. This actually warms my heart more than a father/son team as fathers have a natural inclination to get their son involved in their interests, but older brothers (and quite a bit older by the sounds of their voices) do not usually have the same inclination towards younger sisters... So yeah, an interesting combo there indeed!

EDIT 4: This let's play has reached the end of the game and he has concluded the series. It's a very good watch for any fan of the game, and you can even hear him choking up a bit during the finale scene and epilogue. He mentioned to me later in the comments that playing the game and especially the ending was "emotionally overwhelming" for him!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk