Tales - $4 bundle!

Started by , Mon 14/11/2016 21:44:28

Previous topic - Next topic

m0ds

Tales is now available! And it's still November 14th, just! ;)

Tales is a traditional point and click adventure with English voice acting and music by Luigi Di Guida.

Alfred Walsh is the new librarian, but on his first day he will accidentally unleash a dreaded curse upon the shelves within. He must fix things fast - but how will his tale end? With the help of Merlin and some other familiar faces, Alfred must solve puzzles in the strangest of places if he is to succeed and stop the curse of Oblivion!

AVAILABLE FROM
Official website: http://www.taaales.co.uk
Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/416250
Humble Store: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/tales
Zodiac Store: Zodiac Store page link
Fireflower Games: (link soon!)
Screen 7: http://www.screen7.co.uk

You can still get 15% off from the official website or Screen7.co.uk (though I need to update that page to reflect the release, which I'll do a bit later!)

There is also a short demo to be downloaded from the official website. This will also appear on Steam just as soon as they approve it! The unfortunate news is that GOG did not accept the game. But if you like it you could add it to the wishlist over there ;) In the meantime, making sure the Steam and DRM-free copy are in good working order.

Spanish texts are to be added by the end of the month, on Steam the update will be automatic, others can simply download and install the game again - so if you're waiting on the Spanish - keep an eye out for version 1.1.

Thanks for your interest in Tales, buying it, playing it, supporting Ape Marina with their debut commercial game and supporting Screen 7 by delaying a disaster like Dumbass Drivers 3D remake ;) Wherever you buy the game from, it is appreciated. And thanks for staying engaged and interest in the games in production thread (locky locky!)..

Thanks to the Ape Marina team for their patience with me (and players too for that matter, hey its still Nov 14th!!111) and also Fizzii who helped with voice editing. And also the VA's, the many lines recorded by Ali, and everyone else who played a part, Fitz, Grundislav, CaptainD, Grim to name a few.

I should probably get back to making sure the game is working for people for now. Andrea will hook up a db entry soon. If I forgot to mention something I will edit this post. Hope you enjoy Tales! taaaaaaaales :)

The first reviews are in!

"They should not have used the name Tales. It will get lost in search results" - Steam person

(laugh)

CaptainD

Yay!  The game is fully released!  Congrats to Andrea and Mark! ;-D

Boo!  My savegame files from the press preview build don't work now. :P  I can however confirm that it was worth the wait. (nod)

NickyNyce

Congrats on the release, looks great. I'll be picking it up soon.

shaun9991

Well done Andrea and team! I've been following this one since day one and am so proud you've done it, will be buying on pay-day! :)

Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Stupot

Congratulations guys. Glad to see this is finally available for the masses :-D

Mandle

The day is finally here!!!

And Nov 14th it seems may be an auspicious date for indie ventures: The original "Evil Dead" opened production on Nov 14th (a fact I happened to read this week by total coincidence). So maybe the gods of indie developments smile down on this day.

I must admit I was a bit worried about a year and a half ago when I heard Tales was going to be fully voice acted. Having written the english translation of the game over the course of 3 years or so, I knew just how much voice acting was going to be needed. I was mostly worried about the endurance of the voice actors and publisher, but also about how my text would translate into voice-acted lines.

Well, I had no need to worry it seems on the former points: Screen 7 were working on the game right up until the 11th hour. Mod's, you showed huge levels of commitment to the game, and to making sure it got the release version it deserves. The voice actors did amazing jobs: In the emotional scenes I have actually teared-up from the feelings I can hear through the actor's performances, and in the comedic moments I have laughed out loud from the professional-level comedic timing of the performers.

As for the latter worry about my text translating into voice acted lines: Thank you to all the actors for putting up with any flaws, and for making their performances flowing and natural. It was an amazing wonder and an honour to hear lines I had written coming from the mouths of such a talented group of actors.

It was always my goal to polish the english version to the extent that nobody would ever even suspect that the game was originally written in italian. I wanted english-speaking players to feel they were playing the original language of the game, not a translated version. And, as I found out, this is easier said than done. But, many, many, many rewrites later based on countless playthroughs (over 50 at least) and close contact with and amazing support from AprilSkies, I believe I achieved my goal. And it's such a great feeling!

Of course, the heart and story of the game though is all AprilSkies (and his co-writer Giovanni), and the amazing endurance I saw from them from when the game was only a 5 room "demo", up until the final mind-blowing scope of the game, is nothing short of legendary.

So...stop reading my rant and go experience the "Tales"...

"...while you still can, 'librarian'..."

selmiak

Oh cool! Congrats on the release! Will get it asap ;-D

Creamy

Congrats on the release. It looks like an ambitious game :)

Gurok

Congratulations, AprilSkies! And a big thanks to Mods for his work too.

I voted for it on GOG. Hope you make it to their store. I will probably pick it up on Humble.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

cat

Congrats on the release! Please don't forget to add the game to the AGS database to make it eligible for the next AGS awards!

ThreeOhFour

Awesome to see this one finished, I've been really looking forward to it! Just purchased my copy, I'm looking forward to checking it out! :cheesy:

Cassiebsg

Congrats on the release! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AprilSkies

hi guys and gals.
I thank you all for the support, comments and for existing :D
And thanks a lot m0ds for the great job!
I'm so so happy for the release!

edit: well also Mandle has been fundmental. best tester and text-editor ever.

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Gribbler

I buy my games on GOG. Hope it will be available there too in the future!

Peder 🚀

Congrats on the release AprilSkies!

Frodo

*1 for buying the game from GOG.

Looks fantastic, but unfortunately it's only available on steam right now, and I'm one of the many that don't support steam. 

PLEASE make it available on GOG, so I can buy it DRM-free.  :smiley:

ThreeOhFour

You can get it DRM free on the Humble Store!

Andail

Congrats on the release!
Well done AprilSkies and Mark :)

Grundislav

Nice work! Congrats on the release, I look forward to checking it out :)

Fitz

I've just finished it -- and what a crazy ride it was! It was an epic fairytale adventure, fun and whimsical in places, and dark and existential in others. I'd go as far as comparing it to Fate of Atlantis (an academic on a grand and dangerous quest, solving wicked logical puzzles with symbols and twisting stuff around), Little Big Adventure (with its vast world, beautiful landscapes and oddball characters), and The Whispered World (for the theme of a world falling apart and succumbing to negativity). Beautiful work all around.

I was perhaps a little disappointed that we didn't get to visit the more modern stories listed, such as Alice or The Wizard of Oz -- but what I appreciate more than that is that we get to learn a bit about the more obscure and older stories. It was a grand, beautiful journey -- beautifully drawn by Andrea.

The graphics were gorgeous, even in lo-res (though I would totally throw my money at you if you decide to make a hi-res redux sometime!). The music was another thing that reminded me of LBA -- which is one of my favorite soundtracks EVER. Beautiful job, definitely putting it on my chillout playlist!

The voice acting was a real treat. My complimens to Ali especially, I was totally immersed thanks to him in particular. Nice to hear some AGS friends. Recognized CaptainD instantly, Grundislav I didn't at first, and I was surprised to learn who Mandle played. BTW, great job on the translation! The one thing that amused me was everyone saying "dude" (or "man" in Enkidu's case, though that might've been his nickname for Gilgamesh, perhaps?) like they're surfer dudes ;) But hey, they're fairytales, so if you can have a Mayan woman speaking with an Irish (I think) accent, a ruggedly Slavic pelota champion, or an English-sounding mother with an American-sounding kid, anything goes ;) Voice-over was especially dear to me in this game, since I had my part in it. At first I thought that I did an absolutely terrible job, since I based my performances on lower registers and quiet nuances, and most of it got lost in the music -- but then came the Utnapishtim scene, and that I consider my tour de force (laugh).

The puzzles... Well, I did spam the help thread yesterday -- but aside from the puzzle in question, most of them were very intuitive. Though honestly, some did cause me some trouble, either because I didn't notice something or my reasoning was off (spent half an hour looking for a book about a winged creature) -- and sometimes the famed adventure game logic got me completely stumped (like the time when Alfred saw no way and no point whatsoever in filling a bottle with water). So what we get is a classic 90's adventure game: an epic story that doesn't take it easy on the player.

Again, congrats to everyone involved! It was a pleasure and an honor to be a part of it :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk