I can't start my game in the editor

Started by Blondbraid, Thu 24/11/2016 23:06:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

OK, I have a problem, I tried to import a new font and then this shows up whenever I try to play or edit my game:

I tried importing a different font from the SCI-fonts pack http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/ags/sci_fonts/, to no effect.
The scary thing is that I'm afraid that the same thing happens to my backup copy, and I didn't even change the font on that one!

What shall I do? :~(

Khris

Make a backup of your backup, then open it.

selmiak

Just to be sure make a backup of your backup of your backup before you open the backup of the backup (nod)

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 24/11/2016 23:06:10
The scary thing is that I'm afraid that the same thing happens to my backup copy, and I didn't even change the font on that one!

Guys, I think this sentence actually means that he did already try the backup copy and got the same error message.

Did you backup a copy that you were sure opened properly in AGS, or did you backup after saving and exiting AGS, but before testing that the game opened properly in AGS?

Crimson Wizard

This error cannot be displayed in the editor, it is shown when engine is running (ACWIN.EXE).

@Blondbraid, how did you restore the backup copy, did you put some older files into same folder, or have a completely different folder with backup?
If you put them in same folder, and the bad font file is still there, then it may be attached to the compiled game. Also, if you did not replace all files (rooms, etc) you may need to do "Rebuild all files".

Also, would it be acceptable for you to send me the compiled game that is crashes? If you did I'd try to at least find out what is causing the crash.

Blondbraid

I went trough my game files again, and it seems I must have hit the compile button sometime before I made the backup. I tried deleting the compiled folder, but it had no effect. While I'm not able to test-run the game from the editor, I'm able to make changes to the game and then make a compiled version and play it, all the compiled versions of the game have worked. I think I should be able to work on and finish this project without playing it from the editor, but I still don't know why I can't start the game via the editor, I thought I would be able to start the game in the editor even after it was compiled.

Crimson Wizard

So, this only happens when you debug game from the editor with F5?

Blondbraid

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 26/11/2016 15:26:39
So, this only happens when you debug game from the editor with F5?
Yes, pretty much.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk