10 YEARS OF AGS

Started by Dualnames, Wed 30/11/2016 10:38:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

Where to begin really, who to mention, who to remember?

I started out this very day (well, about this day), 10 years ago, being 18 with the hopes of making videogames. And AGS has been an integral part to that, even if, I've decided to shy away from it, but the community, more or less, has stood by me. Not as mass always, sure, that's too much to ask of people anyway - but as individuals, they sure have. I've met some of you in real life, some I haven't, some I hope to do so, one day. To some I've been unjust, and childish, it would be a shitty thing not to admit that, and I've surely let my ego get the hold of me on countless occasions, but never have I ever not unpinned or unbookmarked AGS from my browser. It would be like tearing a big part of me apart. I've met wonderful people around these parts, and m0ds. Damn, m0ds is horrible. I've had the luxury of working with talented people, and italians, italians are the worst. It has been a sweet ride, and I wouldn't change it for anything, so for once, perhaps truly, I'll humble myself, and say

Thank you.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

qptain Nemo

Thank you for sticking around. I don't think this community would be the same without you. <3

Danvzare

Quote from: Dualnames on Wed 30/11/2016 10:38:24
Thank you.
You're welcome. (laugh)

But on a more serious note, it's great having you around. qptain Nemo said it best:
Quote from: qptain Nemo on Wed 30/11/2016 10:48:11
I don't think this community would be the same without you.
Although I also think that goes for just about everyone on this forum. :)

Fitz

Yes, and also thank you for that one game that had me rage-quit way more than either of the Hotline Miamis (laugh) And for that outro song that made all of that pain and anger just wash away (nod)

Radiant

Ten years and you haven't even worked on any games yet! :P

Chicky

Word up, Jim.

You're a good dude. I second Fitz, although I've yet to reach the outro >:(

NickyNyce

I just realized that I went over the 5 year hump back in March. Wow, time does fly.

It's been a lot of fun. This is the one and only website I go to and post. AGS has become a part of my daily grind actually. I always seem to stop in at least once a day.

Congrats on 10 years dualnames.

Stupot

Happy 10th AGS birthday Dualsy.
Mine is coming up next month. I wish I could say I've acheived the same amount of awesomeness in that time.

ThreeOhFour

That's a cool milestone, nice one! :cheesy:

Andail

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Andail

Joking aside, it's pretty fascinating how time flies. Can't believe 2006 was ten years ago.

It's funny that the community seemed much more active back then, but we have so many more quality games now, with commercial titles released on a regular basis.

tzachs

Happy birthday!
So what would you consider your personal best AGS accomplishment? Hitchhiker? Primordia? The awards?

selmiak

Dualnames

Single biggest accomplishment, would be passing through the test when I signed up. :DDD

Joking aside, in terms of technical and emotional effort (not result) it would have to be Until I Have You. In terms of significance, it would have to be Primordia.

LimpingFish

Well done, Duals! ;D

Quote from: Andail on Fri 02/12/2016 09:19:11
...it's pretty fascinating how time flies.

Scary too, and it seems to get worse the older you get. Casting my mind back, 1995-2005 seemed so much longer then 2005-2015!
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

[delete}

QuoteI've decided to shy away from AGS
Where are you heading to? Now with the adventure renaissance may coming to an end, I wonder which path you go as an Indie developer. Not wanting to be left behind here.

Mandle

Quote from: Rogue Am on Tue 06/12/2016 20:02:23
QuoteI've decided to shy away from AGS
Where are you heading to? Now with the adventure renaissance may coming to an end, I wonder which path you go as an Indie developer. Not wanting to be left behind here.

I think the best idea is to ignore what is currently popular in the game market and just make whatever concept you yourself would be interested in playing.

If you try to follow trends you will always be a slave to them, and nothing you make will have any real heart or passion in it.

Dualnames

Moving away from AGS as an engine, doesn't mean i am abandoning anything. The reasons are practical, not emotional.

Ryan Timothy B

10 years? No you haven't.... Oh you have indeed!
Which means apparently I've been on this forum for 9 years this month. What happened? I had so many goals and dreams... and all I made was Road Racer. lol

Are you working with Unity now?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk