MAGS December "Pickpocketing" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Wed 30/11/2016 23:59:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow1000

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 09/01/2017 15:48:35
@ shadow: I managed to not get caught by the cop at all after some playing. You can hide in the dark by pressing up. But in level 4 or 5 suddenly noone had any more of these funny stuff items anymore so it was gameover for me there :P

I do realize that. I got to level 4 before giving up because it seemed that i would just rob one item and the cop went on high alert and hiding didn't lower the panic level anymore.

SHADOW

Funkpanzer

Thanks for playing!

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 09/01/2017 15:23:51
Spoiler
I think my one problem that I had with Night Work was that once you are caught by the cop...
[close]

When you are caught by the cop the game is supposed to start you at the beginning of that day/level. The same should be true for quitting to the main menu and selecting "Continue". I'll take a look to make sure that's working! I realize it's also not clear at all that once the player's cash starts flashing that they are to go back home to complete a level. I put a big effort into not holding the player's hand but maybe a bit too much of an effort...

This is what the police is supposed to do at maximum alert: https://twitter.com/defomort/status/812350348773982213

At least half of the characters had mechanics similar to how the dancing woman and the man on the bench behave where you would need to interact with them in some specific way to receive an item from them. Also, the reason you run out of items on Level 5 is it's supposed to go to World 2 at that point.

I wish I'd had more time to finish the game but I didn't want to fail a fourth MAGS in a row! On the 2nd to last day I had free the police script completely broke and I was never fully able to get him going again. :-D

Shadow1000

Quote from: Funkpanzer on Mon 09/01/2017 20:07:07
Thanks for playing!

When you are caught by the cop the game is supposed to start you at the beginning of that day/level.

In a way it does in the sense that you start from home and then are given the task again. However, my problem was with the amount of money you lose. I quickly found myself below zero and then into the thousands of dollars below zero.

QuoteI realize it's also not clear at all that once the player's cash starts flashing that they are to go back home to complete a level. I put a big effort into not holding the player's hand but maybe a bit too much of an effort...

Yup...I figured that one out. I agree with not holding hands too much because as I said, it took me a while to figure the game out and I think that was part of the fun. If you do continue with the game, maybe have the game detect if the user seems to be struggling and then a hint can pop on the screen or something.

SHADOW

Funkpanzer

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 09/01/2017 20:46:05
In a way it does in the sense that you start from home and then are given the task again. However, my problem was with the amount of money you lose. I quickly found myself below zero and then into the thousands of dollars below zero.

Oh no! I definitely put something in the wrong order there. Thanks for specifying!

Shadow1000

Quote from: Funkpanzer on Mon 09/01/2017 20:57:48

Oh no! I definitely put something in the wrong order there. Thanks for specifying!

If you change that aspect of the game I will definitely give it another spin.

What is supposed to happen to your money when the cop catches you?

SHADOW

Danvzare

QuoteI realize it's also not clear at all that once the player's cash starts flashing that they are to go back home to complete a level. I put a big effort into not holding the player's hand but maybe a bit too much of an effort...

Yup...I figured that one out. I agree with not holding hands too much because as I said, it took me a while to figure the game out and I think that was part of the fun.

Same here, I rather liked how the game didn't hold my hand whatsoever. I felt proud of myself for figuring out even the simplest of things.
I just wish there was a bit more to do. Because it started to feel like I was simply pick pocketing, then waiting for the alert meter to die down, then pick pocketing again.

Stupot

MiteWiseacreLives!

I've tried both games.. but need to really dig into them, they're both cool.

Mandle

I finally got to try out Night Work and:

It's an AMAZING looking game. I love the graphics so much, backgrounds, character sprites, inventory sprites...freakin' everything!

Also really digging the music and back-story with the phone calls and all.

The gameplay looks very solid so far. I couldn't understand everything that was going on but from reading the comments of others I understand that this is part of the challenge.

Unfortunately I had to give up on playing when I hit the same issues that Shadow1000 mentioned: I got caught by the cops and went so far into negative money that I didn't feel like it was worth continuing the game... Restarting was the better option, but then I would just run into the same issue again...etc.

I understand that this is an unintended bug, and I wish that this had been fixed after being mentioned in this thread, as bug-fixes are allowed after the deadline (a ruling I took advantage of or my own entry would have been unplayable from start to finish).

Despite all this: A very solid entry with intriguing potential and of course gets my vote!

Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

• Night Work by Funkpanzer - 4 votes
• Pickpocket RPG by  - 7 votes

Well done Mandle. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for February.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

Shadow1000

Both great games...congrats to Mandle!

Looking forward to seeing what he'll come up with for the February MAGS...

SHADOW

Danvzare

Congratulations Mandle, I can't wait to see what the February MAGS will be. :-D

Mandle

Wow! Quite an honour to win out against a gorgeous game like Night Work. I suspect that if Funkpanzer had had just a little extra time over the Christmas/New Years season the positions would be reversed.

Anyways, I'm thinking hard on the next theme, trying to choose from several ideas I have.

Thanks for the votes and good words, folks!

Slasher

Yarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr   well done Mandle......... (nod)

Riaise

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Cheers!

After quite a bit of thought I decided on the February theme and have sent to Stupot. It was a tough choice between three options I had in mind, but in the end I chose the one that I thought would appeal to a larger field of participants...

Seeyas there in February!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk