I Want Out!

Started by NicolaGs, Mon 05/12/2016 15:16:57

Previous topic - Next topic

NicolaGs

Hi everyone,

Let me introduce you I want out!.
This little boy asked you desperately. I'm sure you've got a heart... so you'll help him, won't you?
Help him to find the exit from this weird place he doesn't know anything about...

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/9hCLsYl.png[/imgzoom]

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/vMAV9M2.png[/imgzoom]

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/4jO3VlX.png[/imgzoom]

New to the world of AGS - about six months - it's our first AGS project. "Our" because it is me, programing, with my brother who work on the graphics.
Our main goal is to learn game creation with AGS and make the best thing we can while having fun together.

The game is an "escape the room" one. So only one room. So a short game...
We opted for the following constraints : a 320x200 resolution and a 9-verb interface but with graphical improvements since the 80's (well... we hope...)

Working on a project like this is really fun but time consuming when you have a family and a full time job... So one of the reasons I present this project here is to feel more obliged to complete it. Another reason is to have some feedback on the work already done.

Overall completion : 95%... ?
Puzzles : 100%
Story : 100%
Static graphics : 95%
Animated graphics : 90%
Sound : 100%
Scripting : 99%

ETA : 2017 but no idea when... before 31, december!

It's currently developed in french but I'll do an english version before releasing it.
The english translation is finished!

Nicolas

Update feb, 2, 2017 : updated progress, new images, link to a video preview
Update july, 16, 2017 : updated progress, video link to a newer version of the game presentation
Update october, 25, 2017 : updated progress, new images and video link
My first game : I Want Out!

xBRANEx

This looks great!

I must admit that the character seems to be in a resolution higher than 320x200

NicolaGs

Quotethe character seems to be in a resolution higher than 320x200
Indeed. I used Direct3D rendering, so the character is scaled at the displayed resolution - and not the native resolution.
I prefer this than the native resolution scaling (I know this is subject to debate ! :-D)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: xBRANEx on Mon 05/12/2016 15:24:45
I must admit that the character seems to be in a resolution higher than 320x200
Quote from: Nicolas on Mon 05/12/2016 15:29:12
Indeed. I used Direct3D rendering, so the character is scaled at the displayed resolution - and not the native resolution.
I prefer this than the native resolution scaling (I know this is subject to debate ! :-D)

That's an old AGS issue, which is going to be improved in the next version of AGS*, where this type of "hires" scaling is optional and can be enabled or disabled according to gamedev or players preference.

*There is no release date set, but first quarter of 2017 is likely.

Cassiebsg

Looks gorgeous! :-D (nod)
I guess, if your aim is to make the kid pop-out and look like an outsider to the place, then it's okay as a design choice. My eyes would prefer they matched though.  (laugh) (but maybe you have this cunning surprise ending, that will explain a lot!) ;)

Anyway, good job you guy and good luck in completing it.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

The art in this looks simply gorgeous!
Also, it's nice to see another fellow subpixel lover. :-D

NicolaGs

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 05/12/2016 15:38:45My eyes would prefer they matched though.  (laugh)
Winsetup will still leave the choice to change it back to DirectDraw which scales the sprite without the bug... but I started to create the game that way and a more "academic" scaling seems horrible to me now, as the character is rarely at 100% (and it scales down to 25%)...

Snarky

Looks brill!
BTW, in English you don't put a space before an exclamation point (or question mark or colon). Something to keep in mind for the translation and title...

NicolaGs

Thanks for the information. I'll try to remember this ! this! ;)
(first post edited)

selmiak

This looks pretty cool.
Maybe you should oblige to posting a new screenshot every week just because I want to see more ;)

Nixxon

Wow. Well done! The screens have a final fantasy 8 vibe. Looks great :D

Stupot

Gorgeous screenies. All the best to you and your brothers :-)

NicolaGs

Thank you all, this is very encouraging... :-D

Squall_Leonheart

Hi Nicolas!
Your work seems really accurate. It's a pleasure to see three brothers working together to make a game. For passion, without payment. After your two screens, I can't see the quality of programming but the starting idea and the graphic intrigue me.
Have a nice job, i'll hope for more update! Very compliments!

NicolaGs

Thanks Squall_Leonheart (2 months later... :-[).

I updated the first post with new zoomable images (this time in native resolution, so the character will not seem "out of place" - but even if I end up updating with the latest AGS beta version, I'll let the player choose the sprite scaling method)
I also added a little video preview to show the work in action !

AnasAbdin

How did i miss this!
Looks amazing 8-0 i love the idea and the atmosphere.
Keep up the good work (nod)

NickyNyce

This looks great and it's nice to hear that three brothers are collectively working on a game. Looking forward to this.

Cassiebsg

Nice to know it's still going, and looking lovely! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

NicolaGs

Thanks ! :)
Yes, Cassiebsg, it's still going... but too slowly for my taste. If it wasn't for my job, the game would be already finished... (at least the programing - my little brother who is very at ease with digital painting is struggling with the animations...).

SilverSpook

Looks great!  Good luck to your little brother.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk