AGS Secret Santa

Started by Stupot, Wed 07/12/2016 10:46:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

It's December, so you're officially allowed to talk about Christmas without annoying me. And in fact, I'm feeling rather festive, for a change.

I had an idea that we could do a forum-wide 'Secret Santa' (or Secret Seasonal-Gift-Giving-Figurehead-of-Your-Choice).

How exactly this would work is open for discussion. I'm thinking we have an initial show of hands as to who would be interested in taking part. After a given deadline, I would run all the names through a randomiser and privately inform everyone who they need to buy a pressie for.

• First things first, if you are in say in capitals "I'M IN". If for any reason you change your mind before the deadline (23:59 on December 11th) say "I'M OUT". No one will judge anyone for changing their mind.
  • What sort of gift value do you think is reasonable? I personally don't think it needs to be any more than $5, US.
  • Should we stick to Steam Keys and digital content or would you be up for sending/receiving physical gifts in the post? Of course, not everyone is comfortable giving out their home addresses online. If we were to go physical, you would send addresses to me and I would of course only ever share them with the person who has drawn you for the Secret Santa.
  • Any other suggestions, points, questions?

Amayirot Akago

I'M IN.

I'm okay with the suggested gift value and digital gifts.
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Gurok

I'M IN.

$5 USD sounds fine. I don't mind if I give (or get) physical.

I did this on another forum a few years ago and they tried to match people from the same country with each other to keep postage costs down.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

cat

We are a creative community - I suggest you have to make an electronic Christmas card in AGS for the other person!

Radiant

I like the idea. Given the distances involved I'd prefer digital gifts.

Baron

I'M IN.

I like to get physical.  I also like long walks on the beach and holding hands. :-*

But realistically, with the way time is crunching, I think digital is the most practical way to go.

Stupot

Thanks for the interest so far.
Santa is busy oiling the sleigh and has charged me with officially setting the deadline for participation to 23:59 on December 11th

I think we should leave the option open for sending physical gifts for whoever wants to (as long as the person they are sending to is happy to receive it).
I also don't think it's a problem if some gifts don't reach their recipient by Xmas day. The last post is already looming anyway (Wish I'd thought of this a few weeks ago). I also don't think we need to match people by country. If people don't want to post internationally, they can just send a digital gift. Also, international post can be kept fairly cheap if you send something small and flat that fits into a card ;-)

In the meantime, I will be PMing everyone with the questions below:
Better to answer them in the PM so as to avoid any early spoilers as to who your secret santa is. Also I can make a nice little spreadsheet.

Spoiler

Name:

Are you happy to send a digital gift?
Are you happy to receive a digital gift?
If yes, what is your Steam ID, GOG username, etc (whatever you are happy to provide)?

Are you happy to send a physical gift in the post?
If yes, Are you happy to send internationally or would you prefer to send within your own country?
Are you happy to receive physical gift in the post?
If yes, please include the address you would like it sent to?

Any other comments or questions?
[close]

Stupot

Gurok

How do people who are sending GOG or Steam gifts keep them anonymous? Do we send them to you first, Stupot+, and have them forwarded on?

Stupot

Quote from: Gurok on Wed 14/12/2016 01:09:32
How do people who are sending GOG or Steam gifts keep them anonymous? Do we send them to you first, Stupot+, and have them forwarded on?
Is it possible to forward Steam and GOG gifts? I'd hate to receive gifts intended for other people and then be unable to forward it. But if it is possible, then yeah, send them to me and I'll forward them on.

LimpingFish

As far as I know, most of those services offer a "Send as a Gift" option, although the recipient will have to log into the service to claim it. For instance, buying something from the Humble store will allow you to receive it as a gift link. The person whom you send that link to will have to sign up to Humble (if they aren't already a member) to redeem the link and generate a Steam key. GOG does something similar, but with codes.

Long story short, (I think) those gift links could be sent to Stupot, who could then forward them to the proper recipients.

A gift bought through Steam itself can be sent immediately, but the person who receives it will have to wait fourteen days (I think!) before it can be gifted again. Or is that trading...? Or both?
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Amayirot Akago

Sent out my gift and thanks very much to whoever sent me mine :D Merry Christmas all!
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Radiant

I'm happy with my gift and spent yesterday playing it. My gift also sent :)

Stupot

Thank you to the Santas. I believe all the gifts have been sent (let me know if there are any issues).

Merry Christmas, one and y'all.

Gurok

I like my gift very much. Thank you to whoever sent it!

Baron

Am reading my gift right now as I await IRL festivities to begin.  Thanks!:)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk