Author Topic: Julia's Canadian Mystery EGA text parser mystery game  (Read 828 times)  Share 

Inspired by Sierra On-line's "The Colonel's Bequest", an EGA text parser adventure game of mystery and intrigue set in Northern Ontario, Canada! Made with AGS, of course!

The year is 1913. You are a clerk working at the Royal Ontario Museum and your boss wants the mineralogy exhibit to be the talk of the town when the museum opens the following year. So when a fisherman finds a huge diamond in the belly of a fish, the Professor sends you up north to investigate! This could be your big chance to prove to everyone you have what it takes!

Work-in-progress game intro:
&t=2s

Screenshots:

Development progress:
Story: 85%
Scripting: 15%
Graphics: 75%
Sound/Music: 0%

Expected completion date: When it's done.

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
  • Fleeing the Cylon tyrrany...
Re: Julia's Canadian Mystery EGA text parser mystery game
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2017, 17:34 »
This looks awesome!  (nod)
Looking forward to the release.  :-D

By, that was a long intro.  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CaptainD

• I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
  • CaptainD worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!CaptainD worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2017, 17:44 »
Gorgeous screenshots - and I'm not even a particular fan of that style!  (Arj0n is going to be in fits of rapture when he sees this!!)

All the best with development.  :cheesy:
Want to help me make pointandclick games and blog about indie games?

Become a patron!

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2017, 14:36 »
Looks terrific and being from Toronto I'm excited about the Canadian content and especially the ROM. Good luck!

Mandle

• NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!
  • Mandle worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2017, 15:17 »
Go Go Go!

This looks amazing!

arj0n

• Mittens Vassal
  • why do meteors always land in craters?
  • arj0n worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2017, 18:56 »
Gorgeous screenshots - and I'm not even a particular fan of that style!  (Arj0n is going to be in fits of rapture when he sees this!!)
Cappy, you're right. I absolutely LOVE those EGA (& CGA) games!

Keep up the good work jmjm!!

EDIT:
I was wondering why another Colonel's Bequest game was popping up :-D
Until I took a peek at that youtube video. Then I realized this is the work of Julia Minamata
(I've been following her work for quite some time already)

Can't wait to see this game being released, Julia, this looks so gorgeous! ;-D
« Last Edit: 10 May 2017, 19:01 by arj0n »

AnasAbdin

• Peace, Love and AGS
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2017, 19:16 »
How didn't I see this before?
I want this as soon as possible please.

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2017, 20:53 »
Hey Julia! Great to see a GiP thread for this. I'm the guy that helped with resizing pixel art for facebook a while back ;) The trailer looks lovely, that's some rad placeholder artwork. The finished screenshots are crazy good (nod)

ThreeOhFour

• AGS Baker
  • Wild colonial boy.
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    •  
  • ThreeOhFour worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!ThreeOhFour worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2017, 21:30 »
This looks awesome.  :cheesy:

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2017, 00:19 »
Charming.

This reminds me of my early years growing up near Toronto.  I watched the videos, and they look very nice so far.  The Intro had lots of super sketchy art that I thought was hilarious.  When the real art started to show, it looked fantastic.  Looking forward to seeing more.  Good luck!

selmiak

• ǝsıɔɹǝxǝ ʞɔǝu puɐ uıɐɹq
    • I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
    • I can help with web design
    •  
  • selmiak worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2017, 05:21 »
this looks spectacular. Some grass fields (green areas) like in the last 2 pictures could need some more highlights (one hl color) or brown patches like in image 2 to add some more variety. Keep it up! :-D

« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2017, 06:16 »
this looks spectacular. Some grass fields (green areas) like in the last 2 pictures could need some more highlights (one hl color) or brown patches like in image 2 to add some more variety. Keep it up! :-D

Ah, that's a good tip! The grass around the shed does look a bit too uniform. Jack probably isn't that great of a landscaper :P.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words! I have no idea when this game will be done. I'm a little intimidated by you seasoned veterans with your many completed games. This is my first one -- It started slow because I was learning how to use AGS. I'm STILL learning, but now the work is progressing faster.

Hey Julia! Great to see a GiP thread for this. I'm the guy that helped with resizing pixel art for facebook a while back
Thanks, Chicky! Thanks to this game, I'm learning so much. Especially from helpful AGS folks!

« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2017, 06:40 »
WOW that's like... my all time favorite style. And you blitzed it! Looks killer.