MAGS January - "Transformation" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Sun 01/01/2017 01:23:06

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the best game of MAGS JANUARY?

'Hyde and Seek' by Slasher
2 (10.5%)
'Black Morph' by Selmiak, Emont and Creamy
15 (78.9%)
'Shunday' by Mandle
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: Thu 16/02/2017 01:10:08

Slasher

Hyde and Seek

Story-line:

James Hyde is confined to his room and not allowed to venture outside, except to go to school. His parents disowned him from birth because he is 'different'. But that is about to change.

After reading an old chemistry book on 'Chemicals and the body' James sets about seeking out everyday ingredients in the hope that they will 'CHANGE' him into someone who his parents will accept into their 'family'.

Finding and then choosing the right combination of food stuff is not so easy and at times outrageous or nothing appears to happen, but perseverance is James' key to a successful CHANGE.

The moral of this story is that it only takes a change for things to be so different.

Game finished and now testing....

Mandle

Quote from: slasher on Mon 09/01/2017 09:46:58
Game finished and now testing....

So...plenty of time for two sequels to the game before deadline! (laugh)

Slasher

Hyde and Seek

Now released... Download Hyde and Seek

Story-line:

James Hyde is confined to his room and not allowed to venture outside, except to go to school. His parents disowned him from birth because he is 'different'. But that is about to change.

After reading an old chemistry book on 'Chemicals and the body' James sets about seeking out everyday ingredients in the hope that they will 'CHANGE' him into someone who his parents will accept into their 'family'.

Finding and then choosing the right combination of food stuff is not so easy and at times outrageous or nothing appears to happen, but perseverance is James' key to a successful CHANGE. Remember: quantity is not always best...

The moral of this story is that it only takes a change for things to be so different.

* This game is one room.
* No Save or Load.
* Single cursor for Interact/Use Inventory only.
* Many dramatic effects.

Have you got the perseverance needed to CHANGE successfully?

Specs:
640 x 480
16 bit color
d3d

Download Hyde and Seek

Riaise

Wow, great work, slasher! I think there should be an extra category added to the Maggies - Speediest MAGS Creator! (laugh) I'll wait to play the game until the competition is over so that I can play all the entries together. :)

Blondbraid

Congratulations on the quick release, Slasher! I must say your pace is most admirable and I'll have to try your game when I get the time.
Meanwhile, I did this image for my game:

I suppose the title is a wordplay of sorts, I'm trying to come up with something catchy, though I must admit I'm worried that I'm using too obscure references.
The titular commissar is a Soviet political officer in WWII,
and contrapasso is what the poet Dante calls the ironic punishment sinners receive in hell.
Now this story doesn't take place in a literal hell, but I hope it might convey sort of the direction this story is going.
I also tried to add some symbolism just for the fun of it...

I know two sprites and a snappy title doesn't sound like too much now, but if you combine those two with all my artistic vision, my ambition and all my planning, you will get...

...two sprites and a snappy title...

selmiak

I decided to use a canvas- or rather gamesize of 240x135 and use dawnbringers 16 colors palette. The palette seemed to have way too little dark colors and I was about to introduce new colors just because, but then I didn't and stayed with it just because and I played around with lots of dithering and now I'm in love with the palette. The canvassize is really small so it's a bit faster than pixeling 320x240 but it's tricky to get a lot of detail in that size with that few colors. Here is a small teaser for you (with only 5 colors) :)
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/AHtOm9I.png[/imgzoom]

Gurok

That looks really good, Selmiak. The reuse of the yellow for the moon gives the reflection almost a perfect appearance. If not for the colour limits, I would be tempted to squeeze some shimmmer and height distortion into the reflection. It might complicate things too much and it looks lovely as is though.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Benworks Creations

Man I would love to participate in this if my hands weren't already full with "Penga & Obcster's Christmish Adventure" Good luck to everyone!

Danvzare

Wow selmiak, that art is incredible. You've really outdone yourself with that palette.
I can't fathom how you're going to finish a whole game in one month with that kind of quality. But I'm certainly looking forward to seeing it. :-D

selmiak

seems our protagonist is a mysterious hooded figure. And now he can walk too.
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/Pke2kkl.gif[/imgzoom]

Stupot

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 16/01/2017 04:11:30
seems our protagonist is a mysterious hooded figure. And now he can walk too.
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/Pke2kkl.gif[/imgzoom]
I don't know if he can walk but he can certainly get down and groovy.

selmiak

that's the advantage with having a small canvas. Don't pixel any feet and if anybody might ask just say there was no place for them in that resolution :D
He can also go all metal! \m/
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/FItjcDH.gif[/imgzoom]
though his missing feet are more obvious in that animation, but that are just 2 frames of a longer animation where it doesn't matter then again ...

Riaise

Keep going, Blondbraid, you can do it! (nod)

Selmiak, your game is looking amazing! I'm interested to see how the metal animation fits in! :-D

Slasher

Quotethough his missing feet are more obvious in that animation, but that are just 2 frames of a longer animation where it doesn't matter then again ...
May as well "Off with his head" as well (laugh)

selmiak

leaving the magical mystery forest. But how will you cross that gap?
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/vtUJwHo.png[/imgzoom]

Mandle

Quote from: selmiak on Sun 22/01/2017 00:32:04
leaving the magical mystery forest. But how will you cross that gap?

Well, first I sit for about half an hour and drink in how beautiful the scenery is before even worrying about that... :)

Riaise

That's looking really good, selmiak!

How is everyone else doing with their entries?

Mandle

Quote from: Riaise on Thu 26/01/2017 14:04:13
How is everyone else doing with their entries?

I am stupidly starting on an entry just now as I suddenly had an idea for a game that won't leave my head alone until I at least try to make it...

Damn head!

Working title:

Transformatronbots

Riaise

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk