AGS Awards 2016 - Results!

Started by cat, Sun 01/01/2017 09:39:47

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

Welcome to the AGS Awards, the event where the you, the player, choose the best games of the year!

Step # 0 - play them games!
You have some time to play games made in 2016. Do it!
Step # 1 - nomination time!
Select games you deem worthy in each category!
Step # 2 - vote, folks!
Pick from the nominees and we get a winner!
Step # 3 - party!
Big party to celebrate the winners!

Awards are over

The full result including all nominated games can be found on the wiki page.

Best Game Created with AGS
Kathy Rain by Clifftop Games

Best Freeware Game Created with AGS
Toffee Trouble in Creamville by Miez and cat

Best Writing
Shardlight by Wadjet Eye Games

Best Puzzles

Best Character
Kathy Rain (Kathy Rain)

Best Short Game

Best Demo
The Journey of Iesir Demo by Dream Cauldron

Best Non Adventure Game Created with AGS
Until I Have You by Dualnames

Best Gameplay

Best Background Art

Best Character Art

Best Animation

Best Programming

Best Music and Sound

Best Voice Work

Best Innovation
Gurok (for improving and extending the AGS scripting language)

Lifetime Achievement
Crimson Wizard

Party like it's 1990 in this thread!

selmiak

cat

Yay indeed :)

Several people posted their games already in the For Your Consideration thread. Go and play them!

But there were so much more games released last year. Don't forget to post your games in the FYC thread to get people play it and increase the likelihood of being nominated for an award!

cat

How are you getting along with playing all games? Are you ready for nominations yet?

Chatting about the awards is allowed (and encouraged) in this thread :)

Two Tales

Still have a couple to play. Downloading them now!

cat

Nominations will start today, this is your last chance to add your game to the For Your Consideration thread.

CaptainD

Cat, quick question - some games are released in whatever year, and sometimes only have the voiced version come out some years later.  I take it the voice work cannot be considered for an award on a standalone basis, since we go by the year of release for eligibility?  (Not a problem but I thought it was worth asking.)

cat

Yes. The eligible games are automatically determined based on the date when they were added to the database. The only option would be to create another DB entry and call it a deluxe version or something like that.

cat

Nominations are open!

Big thanks to AGA for setting up the page.

Nominations run until 17:59 GMT on Saturday 04 February 2017. You still have some time to play the eligible games before you make a decision. Don't forget to have a look at the For Your Consideration thread.

Remember to judge each game for its own merits in each category.
The categories for the awards stay the same as last year's.

Stupot

The nominations have to be done all in one go and it involves a lot of clicking through all the menus to select the titles you want.
So I made myself a little nominations manager on Google Docs. Nothing fancy, just a basic table, but it's there if anyone wants to copy it :-)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qYK1PoYAJTsNRHvwHp3lcWtCLsLUZNVNUtlr5U2a0ZM/edit?usp=sharing

cat

Cmdr

Just one question:
Is ist legit to nominate your own games?  :-D

cat

Quote from: Cmdr on Fri 20/01/2017 23:27:14
Is ist legit to nominate your own games?  :-D

Yes, it is, if you think your game deserves it based on each categories. Please just don't nominate your game in every single category, but think about where the game really stands out above other games.
Your MI game for example uses ripped graphics, so you probably wouldn't want to nominate it for the graphics awards. But what I've heard about it, it has great humour and puzzles, so you might want to nominate it for "Best Writing", "Best Puzzles", "Best Freeware Game",...

This actually applies to all games: don't go all fanboy but try to judge each game for its own merits. Try to play as many games as possible and then decide on your nominees.

Danvzare

Thanks Cmdr for asking that question, and thanks cat for answering, I've been wondering that for a while (even if I haven't released any games for years), so it's nice to finally know.
I was always too scared to ask myself for some reason. Also, like I said before, I haven't released any games for years, so there wasn't really a reason to ask just yet.

Cmdr

I also thank you for your detailed answer, cat.  :)

Actually, the idea to vote for my own games feels a bit weird.... I think you know what I maen.
But I also think that have some great fangames, not mentioned about the time I offered to create them.

Stupot

@Cmdr
You can nominate up to 10 games per category. Putting one of your own among them is fine. It's just the nomination phase so all you're doing at this point is choosing which games you'd like to se on a shortlist. I can understand if you don't feel comfortable voting for your own game (some people don't) but just nominating should be fine.

Riaise

Stupot+, that nominations document is really useful, thanks so much for sharing!

Ark

Wow, so many games were made this year and I have played like... 3 including my own. I can't vote of course, but good luck to everybody! I'll play the games of the winners. :-D 

selmiak

pffft, play as many as you can of the games you know you would vote for, screw the games you know you wouldn't vote for anyways and then some. Then be fair and resist the urge to go all fanboy when voting. resist the urge! :-D

cat

Have you already nominated your favourite games for the AGS awards? You know, that big, red announcement in the forum is there for a reason ;)
I just did it right now, even though it was hard to decide.

Nominations end at 17:59 GMT on Saturday 04 February 2017. When everything is going smoothly with the voting script, results will be announced on Sunday in a small casual IRC ceremony and of course in this thread afterwards.

Watch this space for more details!

Stupot

Phew. Done. I didn't get a chance to try all of the games I wanted to before nominating but I did some.

Mandle

I'm done also! Phew...quite the list but many categories were no-brainers to fill quite easily.

Best of luck to all!

Creamy

I got logged out  :angry: I guess I'll redo it with Stuport's form next time. It's a bit tedious.

EDIT : I did it just in time. I don't know if it's normal to get disconnected after a certain amount of time or if my problems come from my connection.

cat

Last few hours!

I hope you were able to nominate, Creamy? Please contact AGA if you have any problems.

cat

Nominations are over

The results are in! This year I want to try something different and present the nominees in a casual IRC ceremony.

AGS nominations will be revealed on Sunday, 5.2.2017 at 18:00 GMT in the #ags channel on irc.adventuregamestudio.co.uk.

Just pop in, chat, play a game of acro and hang around with friendly people.

Join the #ags channel on the official AGS IRC server at irc.adventuregamestudio.co.uk (see here for detailed instructions: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/community/irc/).

Danvzare

Woo hoo, can't wait for tomorrow. :-D
This will be my first time using IRC.

cat

I moved the nomination improvement discussions to a new thread to keep things organised:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=54415.0

Cassiebsg

AGS nominations are being revealed as I type... :-D

Join in everyone!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

paolo

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 05/02/2017 18:25:44
AGS nominations are being revealed as I type... :-D

Join in everyone!

I think I missed you all... I joined the channel just now and it looks like everyone's already gone home  :(

EDIT: Thanks Cassiebsg, I'm in now.

Cassiebsg

Actually we're playing trivia now, so you must have joined the wrong channel.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

cat

Nominations are revealed!
Thanks everyone for playing the games, nominating and joining the small ceremony!

I am currently updating the wiki. However, since this is a lot of work and will take some time, here are the results, sorted alphabetically per category:

Best Game Created with AGS
Tales by AprilSkies

Best Freeware Game Created with AGS
Among Thorns by Matt Frith
Sniper and spotter being patriotic by Blondbraid
Stair Quest by No More For Today Productions
The Man From Fugue State by Haggis

Best Writing
Fallen soldier by Blondbraid
Tales by AprilSkies

Best Puzzles
Tales by AprilSkies
The Man From Fugue State by Haggis

Best Character
Kathy Rain (Kathy Rain)
Shardlight (Amy Wellard)
Tales (The Cheese Seller)
The Journey of Iesir Demo (Bjorn)
Toffee Trouble in Creamville (Toffee)

Best Short Game
Among Thorns by Matt Frith
GNRBLEX [MAGS version] by WHAM
Graveyard by CaesarCub

Best Demo
Jacqueline White - Curse of the Mummies by Grok with team
Legend of Hand - Demo by shaun9991
This City at Night - DEMO by paolo

Best Non Adventure Game Created with AGS
Columbus Lander by Ross Kevin Moffat (AKA Mandle)
Monkeys to the Moon! by Crystal Shard
Predators Prey For Plants by Ross Kevin Moffat (AKA Mandle)
Space Tunneler by CaptianD

Best Gameplay
Tales by AprilSkies

Best Background Art

Best Character Art

Best Animation
Tales by AprilSkies

Best Programming
Monkeys to the Moon! by Crystal Shard

Best Music and Sound

Best Voice Work
Order of the Thorne : The King's Challenge by Infamous Quests
Tales by AprilSkies

Congratulations to all nominees!

CaptainD

Congratulations to all who got a nomination - a great variety of game types and styles in that lot!

[delete}

That was a wonderful live ceremony too, highly enjoyable! ;-D  #ags is just the place to be.
Congrats to all the nominees, who are now rivaling with each other. Of course all the other good adventures won't be forgotten (only the bad ones will  := )

Spoiler
Jk, I will play them too. Thanks for creating them.
[close]

Blackthorne

Haha, this is what I get for releasing a game in Jan. of 2016! Forgot about this... thanks to all who nominated "Order of the Thorne: The King's Challenge" for best voice work!

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

cat

Quote from: Blackthorne on Mon 06/02/2017 12:13:32
Haha, this is what I get for releasing a game in Jan. of 2016! Forgot about this... thanks to all who nominated "Order of the Thorne: The King's Challenge" for best voice work!

That's what you get for not posting in the "For your Consideration" thread. It's not related to the month of release.

Danvzare

Quote from: cat on Mon 06/02/2017 12:49:36

That's what you get for not posting in the "For your Consideration" thread. It's not related to the month of release.

Exactly, just look at Captain D's Space Tunneler which was posted in the "For your Consideration" thread. It got an award and it was posted on the 1st of January. As a matter of fact, almost everyone tried to nominate it at the last year's awards.

TheVoiceGuy

Congratulations everyone! On what date will the winners be announced? Can we watch the awards online?

Blackthorne

Quote from: cat on Mon 06/02/2017 12:49:36

haha, no I'm blaming myself! I totally forgot we released in in 2016, cause it had been so long since the release.  I forgot to come around and do a "For your consideration!" I only knew now because a friend had told me it was nominated for Voice Acting!  I hadn't checked the general forums in a bit, spend too much time lurking the technical ones!  There's a lot of great games nominated this year; I'm just kicking my own butt for not being pro-active!

Bt

Dave Gilbert

Hurrah! Thanks to all who nominated Shardlight!

JSH

Thanks to everyone who nominated Kathy Rain! :)

Grundislav

CaptainD

For some reason I felt inclined to see how many nominations each game got.  Here are the results:

12   Shardlight
11   Kathy Rain
9   Until I Have You
8   The Journey of Iesir Demo
7   Tales
6   Toffee Trouble in Creamville
5   Star Quest
2   The Man from Fugue State
2   Monkeys to the Moon!
1   Among Thorns
1   Snipare and Spotter Being Patriotic
1   Fallen Soldier
1   Among Thorns
1   GNRBLEX
1   Graveyard
1   Jacqueline White - Curse of the Mummies
1   Legend of Hand
1   The City at Night
1   Columbus Lander
1   Predators Prey for Plants
1   Space Tunneler
1   Order of the Throne: The King's Challenge

22 different games nominated in total.

cat

Thanks, Dave! This list is also very useful for people who want to know which games they still have to play.

I know there are lots of commercial games, but most of them have a free demo. Even if you don't want to or can't afford to buy them all, please play at least the demo. Maybe you like it so much, that you want to buy the game after all :)

A hint to authors: Now might be a good time to offer discounts on your games ;)

Haggis

Thanks to everyone who voted for Fugue State, just to be in that 'best puzzle' nomination list among those fantastic games is mind boggling 8-0 and I'm very honoured. Now discount those games woooo ;)

paolo

It's nice to see a good range of games there. It's going to be fun playing them and deciding which to vote for.

And a nice surprise to see This City at Night among the nominees for Best Demo. Thank you so much to everyone who nominated it!

cat

I have updated the Wiki-page.

If you find any errors, please tell me. Or, even better, fix them yourself, since it's a wiki :)

Dualnames

I'd also like to say I'm very grateful for all the nominations <3
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Blackthorne

Quote from: cat on Mon 06/02/2017 17:09:23
A hint to authors: Now might be a good time to offer discounts on your games ;)

Not a bad idea: If you haven't played our games, here's a special sale just for you AGS forums peeps - $.99 on Itch.io this week, get it while it's hot. Order of the Thorne is nominated this year, and Quest for Infamy is a previous AGS Award winner!

https://infamousquests.itch.io/AGSAWARDS

Bt

Stupot

@Blackthorne - that's a mighty generous offer. Thanks.

CaesarCub

Thank you guys for nominating Graveyard :D

cat

Voting will start soon!

Make sure to play all the games that were nominated and pick your favourite for each category!

In contrast to the nomination phase, I think this time you should not vote for your own games, to keep things fair. Is everyone okay with this?

CaptainD

Quote from: cat on Thu 09/02/2017 20:25:34
In contrast to the nomination phase, I think this time you should not vote for your own games, to keep things fair. Is everyone okay with this?

This seems very fair, but it does raise a question... if you are part of the team that worked on a game, and your game is nominated for an award in a department you didn't work on yourself, would it be seen as unethical voting for it?

cat

I'd say yes, please don't vote for games where you actively worked on (I'm not talking about giving advise in CL or the technical forums, but games where you are listed as team member). Otherwise it's more a matter of having lots of team members voting for each others accomplishments.

dactylopus

Congratulations to all nominees!

:-D

And to all the other games that were suggested for nomination, you all did a fantastic job.  My favorite game of last year sadly has no nominations, but many other favorites do.  Very happy to see that.

As for voting for your own game, I see nothing unethical about that.  In my opinion, vote for the game that you think deserves the award, whether you worked on it or not.

Stupot

Quote from: dactylopus
As for voting for your own game, I see nothing unethical about that.  In my opinion, vote for the game that you think deserves the award, whether you worked on it or not.

I agree with Cat that it's not a good idea. It's not that I think it's unethical per se. If you genuinely think your own game deserves that prize more than any others, then why shouldn't you? However, some people don't feel comfortable voting themselves even if it's legal so those people are sort of shooting themselves in the foot if they vote for a different game while that game's own author has voted for themself.

cat

It's time to vote!

Make sure to play all the games that were nominated and pick your favourite for each category!

In contrast to the nomination phase, this time you should not vote for your own games or games where you are listed as team member, to keep things fair.

CaptainD

Thanks Cat - let the voting commence!!  ;-D

Riaise

The link to the list of nominees in the header banner goes to the 2015 page, rather than the 2016 one. ;)

dactylopus

I haven't made a game that would ever qualify for an award, let alone this year, but I am curious.  What would happen if you did vote for your own game?  Would the vote be disqualified?

cat

@Riaise: The link is updated, thanks AGA!

Ok, guys, please just don't vote for yourself. We might or might not check it, but actually I'd prefer if I can trust everyone.

Calypso

@cat Could the rule about not voting for your own (or your team's) games be also included on the voting page itself? Otherwise people may miss that information if they don't follow the forum thread.

Also, congratulations to the nominees!
Chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized.

pcj

I get an error 403 when voting:

Error 403
We're sorry, but we could not fulfill your request for /site/awards/ on this server.
You do not have permission to access this server. Before trying again, close your browser, run anti-virus and anti-spyware software and remove any viruses and spyware from your computer.
Your technical support key is: 62b8-90b6-b40c-8ddc
Space Quest: Vohaul Strikes Back is now available to download!

Stupot

JSH

Quote from: pcj on Fri 10/02/2017 23:25:52
I get an error 403 when voting:

Error 403
We're sorry, but we could not fulfill your request for /site/awards/ on this server.
You do not have permission to access this server. Before trying again, close your browser, run anti-virus and anti-spyware software and remove any viruses and spyware from your computer.
Your technical support key is: 62b8-90b6-b40c-8ddc

I was able to fix this by clearing my browser cookies for the website.

Quote from: Calypso on Fri 10/02/2017 20:58:22
@cat Could the rule about not voting for your own (or your team's) games be also included on the voting page itself? Otherwise people may miss that information if they don't follow the forum thread.

Also, congratulations to the nominees!

Seconded, I didn't realize this wasn't allowed before popping back into the thread :) A suggestion for next year - Maybe we could deny voting on a particular entry if the forum account is listed on the team in the game database? Would be a way to automate this process and prevent anyone from making that mistake.

Radiant

Thanks to everyone for nominating Monkeys to the Moon! May you all have a banana-filled year!

Quote from: cat on Fri 10/02/2017 19:04:25
Ok, guys, please just don't vote for yourself. We might or might not check it, but actually I'd prefer if I can trust everyone.
I'm fine with that; however I would prefer a simple rule that votes for your own games are discounted, over a reminder to "please don't do that" which some people may not notice. Scripting it (as JSH suggests) is even better.

AGA

Votes will now autofill if you return to the page after having previously voted.  Other things may happen later.

I don't think it's really fair to enforce the voting for credited games programatically.  What if I was credited on a game because someone used a module I created?  Or for moral support or something minor like that?  Or a little bit of beta testing?  Does that mean I shouldn't be allowed to vote on a game I loved, just because I'm vaguely associated with it?  The only way we could maybe do it to discount votes from the first credited person (generally the 'owner'), otherwise I think it could end up being too strict.

AGA

Quote from: AGA on Sat 11/02/2017 20:54:01
The only way we could maybe do it to discount votes from the first credited person (generally the 'owner'), otherwise I think it could end up being too strict.

Implemented this.

Mandle

I'm kind of in a pickle here too...

I worked on Tales. I wrote the English text version. While it follows the Italian version, it is more an adaptation than a direct translation, which AprilSkies trusted me to do as I was on board since the very start of development and gained a very intimate understanding of the game and its characters because of this.

I invented one puzzle in the game: I wrote the tavern door riddle from scratch so that the game would have an original riddle that nobody had heard before.

But I did not write the story. Nor did I work on the gameplay, pacing, music, etc. except to offer a comment here and there as a playtester.

Here's my pickle: On the list of games (that I have played) Tales would get my vote in several categories. This would be an honest vote and not just blind support for a project I had worked on.

For example: I would vote for Tales in a category such as Best Voice Acting because I truly believe that performances such as Alfred, Iktan, Merlin, Jack, and Gilgamesh and Enkidu, etc. etc. really bring the characters to life, but I would not vote for it for awards like Best Programming or Best Character (The Cheese Seller) because I believe there are more deserving games on those lists (Until I Have You, and Kathy Rain, in these cases).

Cat asked me in person when we met a few years ago what my favorite AGS game was and I answered "Tales" without hesitation, and that was when the game was still only about 80% finished and still unvoiced. My love for the game has grown hugely since then and I would now say that it is one of my favorite games of all time, not just AGS games.

I even watch youtubers let's plays of the game to re-enjoy the feeling of first playing my favorite parts through their reactions.

Despite these feelings, I'm not allowed to vote for it. I realise it's "just" one vote and it's "just" for a community award, not some elite award that will bring the game more into the spotlight. But it is for those reasons precisely that I want to vote for it. It's just one vote, but it's my vote and I wished my vote could represent my true opinion. It's just a community award but for me that's all the more reason I feel like my honest vote is not cheating or corrupt, as I would maybe feel if the award had a higher probability of increasing the sales of the game.

I'm not going to boycott the vote or whine about the rule or anything like that, but I felt I just wanted to post my real feelings about it in here.

Cheers for reading!

cat

Wow, tbh I didn't expect people being so much upset with not voting for their own entries...

I thought this would be the fairest solution for everyone. Otherwise some people will feel uncomfortable voting for themselves or others might feel they have to vote for themselves to have a chance. Just imagine a team of 5 or 6 people all voting for themselves and what advantage they would get. That's why I wanted to have the same fair conditions for all games and teams.

If people really feel this is unfair, of course we can discuss this for next year's awards. But for now, we will stick to it.

Btw, thanks AGA for improving the voting page!

Mandle

Quote from: cat on Sun 12/02/2017 09:39:48
Wow, tbh I didn't expect people being so much upset with not voting for their own entries...

No,no, please don't get me wrong... I'm not upset... Like I said I still voted and followed this rule. It just means that it wasn't my 100% accurate vote reflecting my true feelings, but I voted for the game that I thought was next best on the list, so... close enough...

Tales, however, is not my own entry... I wouldn't vote for a game that I was the author of, and I believe that authors should not do so.

But where then should the line be drawn?

Some examples:

Could someone who only had a voice acting role in a game vote for it for best game, but not best voicing?
Could the inventory item sprite artist vote for the game for best audio?
Can playtesters vote for a game they tested? (I was a tester on Kathy Rain and I voted for it in some categories. I don't feel that playtesting the game shaded my opinion of it unfairly. But I will change my vote if this is breaking the rule.)

Or should it just be a common sense kind of thing like: Don't vote for a game in any category that you personally worked on?

This would pretty much bar the main author from voting for anything, which is 100% fair, and also prevent anyone else from voting for their own work, but still be able to show respect for the work of others.

And also to only vote for a game you had involvement in if you honestly feel it's your true opinion that it deserves that award (but, once again, not in a category you worked on).

Of course, the bottom line is that voting is based on the honour-system anyways. After all, there's really nothing to stop some dishonest person from creating 10 fake AGS accounts to vote for their own game. Just as there's nothing to stop, as you mentioned, a large team from all just blindly voting for their own game in any category they didn't work on. But I feel (or I hope at least) that the AGS family isn't quite that cut-throat about the AGS Awards, and we mostly look forward to it as a bit of fun together as a community.

Just my 2 cents of course, and looking forward to the ceremony as always!

cat

I know you are all busy playing the games and voting, but please spare a minute because we need to decide on a date and time for the ceremony. Just post your availability (using your forum nickname) in the

Doodle poll