I need code for "Using same Item again on same hotspot or object". Solved!

Started by Meystari F, Mon 09/01/2017 23:44:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Meystari F

Hi all and Happy new year!

Does anybody know the code on this one?

What code do I use when I use a same item on same hotspot or object to get different messages?
I don't want a random messages to show up. I want the game to display another messages after I click on it again.

In case if you don't understand me.
Remember in Leisure suit Larry 1 EGA/VGA when you where in the toilet.  There was a messages on the walls there. And when you click on the wall you could read a different messages after each time you clicked on it.

And also when you clicked on the TV with the remote. You got a another messages after the last messages.

Cassiebsg

There are different ways to do the same.

If you only want 2 things, you can use a if Game.DoOnceOnly for the first time, and then just else...

If you want more than 2 events, you can add an int variable

Code: ags

int counter=0

if (counter == 0)
{
    // do 1st thing
    counter++;
}
else if (counter == 1)
{
    // do 2nd thing
    counter++;
}
else if (...)
{
    // keep adding as many events you need
}
else if (...)
{
    // last event here
    counter=0; // if you want it to repeat (in this case you can just use a else instead of else if), or counter++; is you want it to stop.
}

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Meystari F

Thanks.

But I'm still getting this wrong.

function hTV_UseInv()
{

int Remote;
Remote =0;
if (Remote == 0){
cLarry.ActiveInventory = iRemote; 
oTVscreen.SetView(VPIMP);
oTVscreen.Animate(4, 10, eRepeat, eNoBlock, eForwards);
Display("You click the power switch on the remote control");
Display("'Oh John.'  'Oh Marcha'['Oh John.'  'Oh Marcha'['Oh John.'  'Oh Marcha' ['Oh John.'  'Oh Marcha'");
Display("Another boring soap opera");
Display("The pimp seems vaguely interested, but not enough to leave his post by the stairs.");
Remote++;
}
else if (cLarry.ActiveInventory == iRemote){
if (Remote == 1){
  Display("You click the channel selector on the remote control.");
  Display("..I'm Al Fartles, and this is my partner, Fed Ames. We just want to tell you how much we appreciate your support...");
  Display("Another boring commercial");
  Display("The pimp seems vaguely interested, but not enough to leave his post by the stairs.");
Remote++;
}
else if (cLarry.ActiveInventory == iRemote){
if (Remote == 2){
 Display("...and now, ALoHa Producktions is proud to present 'The Revenger of the Software Developers' in full color and sterio sound...");
 Display("Another boring musical comedy");
   }

}
}

What is wrong with this code?  I only get the first messages to appear but not the others.

RickJ

• INDENT YOUR CODE PROPERLY
  • Define Remote outside the bounds of your function.  Variables defined within a function are created when the function is invoked and destroyed when the function returns.  In this case values are not returned from one execution to the next.
  • Remote is being set to a value of zero each time the function is called. Not sure but I think AGS variables are automatically initialized to zero at game start.  If not then initialize Remote in the game_start() event handler.
  • if-else structure is wrong.  You would see it if you indented your code properly

if Remote==0 {
}
elsif (Remote==1) && (cLarry.ActiveInventory==iRemote) {
}
elsif (Remote==2) && (cLarry.ActiveInventory==iRemote) {
}

Cassiebsg

Or put your int on the top of the script, if you don't need it to be global.

Also you want it as:

if (cLarry.ActiveInventory == iRemote) // you want to check first if he's using the remote, otherwise any item the player will use will run the code.
{
    if (Remote == 0)
    {
        // code
    }
    else if (Remote == 1)
    {
        // code
    }
    else if (Remote == 2)
    {
        // code
    }
    else // last line for the remote, if you wish it to reset and start again from 0.
    {
        // code
    }
}
else Display("That doesn't help change the channel."); // or some line to tell the player that that item doesn't do anything to the tv.

I like to give a line for the opening {, and then ident the block, as it helps me visualise.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Khris

int remote = 0; // "int remote;" would work, too; ints are init'd to 0.

function hTV_UseInv()
{
  if (player.ActiveInventory == iRemote)
  {
    if (remote == 0)
    {
      Display("You click the power switch on the remote control");
      Display("'Oh John.'  'Oh Marcha'['Oh John.'  'Oh Marcha'['Oh John.'  'Oh Marcha' ['Oh John.'  'Oh Marcha'");
      Display("Another boring soap opera");
    }
    else if (remote == 1)
    {
      Display("..I'm Al Fartles, and this is my partner, Fed Ames. We just want to tell you how much we appreciate your support...");
      Display("Another boring commercial");
    }
    else if (remote == 2)
    {
      Display("...and now, ALoHa Producktions is proud to present 'The Revenger of the Software Developers' in full color and sterio sound...");
      Display("Another boring musical comedy");
    }
    else
    {
      Display("Some message for further interactions.");
    }
    remote++;
  }
  // player used something else on the TV
  else
  {
    Display("That doesn't work.");
    // alternatively: standard unhandled behavior:
    // will only work if you add "import function unhandled_event(int what, int type);" to global header
    // unhandled_event(1, 3);  
  }
}

Meystari F

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk