Loooking for some critiques.

Started by Wolfina, Wed 18/01/2017 23:45:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

Is there a particular reason why the grass by the tree is down? Grass normally grows up, and then if it's windy and it's high enough might look like that, but then the rest of the grass would also be down. And then the tree leaves would also need to reflect the wind, but those look like they are peacefully resting.

Okay, someone could have stumped the down, but then they would look mashed, not "blowing in the wind".

On another note, that tree stump looks too big for the size of the leaves.

The boulder looks great. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

NickyNyce

The only thing that sticks out to me now is the grass curling towards the building at the top of the screen. I believe it should go straight up and also curl away from the building instead of towards it.

One more thing. If you look in the window, you can see that the floor boards are facing the wrong direction.

Wolfina

I fixed up the grass a little bit, and i even made a new background, doing my best at perspective ^^

(The inside of the one shop isn't finished yet. I still have to add in what it looks like in the inside thus there's nothing there :) Also going to add more details to the buildings so they're less flat)

Tabata

Just my 2 cents as a player:
It seems to me that you haven't chosen the isometric view intentionally. It is playing in birds view when the characters are done in the same style or it looks wired when mixed (using 'normal view' for the chars and iso for the bg's).

Well, I am not the one to teach but  if it isn't necessary for your game I'd personally prefer the angle at least a bit lower for to make it smoother while watching/playing (and easier for you to show the cute heaven you have in store already).
Aside of that you can always change to birds view for a sequence/puzzle/minigame in case of need (best with an isometric character image).

I try to explain what I mean by showing the difference with one of your bg

Sorry for the quality but I am not a dev and my english isn't good enough to put it all in the right words. Hope you don't mind.

Wolfina

I can for sure see what you mean! That looks way better with the lower angle :o

I'm not much of a background artist and i'm mostly just learning as I go.

Yea the isometric view isn't intentional i'm just trying to get the hang of making backgrounds and all this feedback is wonderful and helpful! :D thank you very much! I think i'm getting a bit better with each feedback!

I really appreciate everyone helping me out with this, I'm ending up putting a lot of work on this hobby project but I hope I can finish it so I can share the end product! What I should really do is invest some time into looking up background tutorials on tutorial. Thank you all for being so patient and helpful ^^

NickyNyce

The greatest thing you can probably do is just Google rooms, store fronts, alley ways, hill tops, houses. Look at all the angles and perspectives. Do this when you go to create a room or a background. A real picture never lies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk