Visual Studio Just-In-Time error

Started by Slasher, Thu 02/02/2017 19:49:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

Whenever I try to start a brand new game ags errors and this shows after selecting more info:

ags 3.4.11

any ideas/remedies?

Crimson Wizard

No idea what that error is.
Are you loading particular template?

Slasher

After i start ags 3.4.0.11 and select new game the error comes up and ags closes.

in 3.2.1 this does not happen and i can select start a new game and templates open...

i did have visual studio but deleted it some weeks back...

Loading previous games is ok.

Crimson Wizard

I searched a bit and found this topic, discussing a very similar looking situation: a person started to get such errors right after uninstalling Visual Studio:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/24b356ad-59ef-446f-aa8b-df6b55fa78bb/an-unhandled-win32-exception-occurred?forum=Vsexpressinstall

Maybe some solutions from the topic will help. If not, I will continue searching.

Slasher

Cheers crimson,

not really helped in this instance ;(

CrashPL

Remember having an issue with the JIT debugger, but I simply disabled it in Visual Studio.
Since you already uninstalled VS, I suppose one of the answers listed here should help you - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1893567/how-to-stop-just-in-time-debugging-messages-blocking-a-buildserver (removing a certain *.exe, modyfing registry keys, uninstalling VS Shell).

tzachs

@Crimson Wizard, from the error it looks like the released editor was compiled in Debug mode, and not in release mode?

@slasher, if you don't want to wait to get a release version of the editor, I see 2 options:
1. Re-install visual studio and enable just-in-time debugging.
2. If you're set against installing VS, you can enable it in the registry (just be sure to backup your registry first).
Look at this link here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5hs4b7a6.aspx
and scroll to "Enable or disable Just-In-Time debugging", both options are described there.

Note though that it looks like the error you posted is not the real error, but the error after the error. So fixing the current error
will probably result in another error (the real error)...

Slasher

I ended up re downloading community edition which caused license issues..

I have now uninstalled it and am downloading wdexpress (desktop) version..

here's hoping :X

EDIT@

When i try opening Template from Template folder i get this Run-Tine error:

May have to go back to 3.2.1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Users\PC-user\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3D7C.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
  C:\Users\PC-user\AppData\Local\Temp\WER8D32.tmp.appcompat.txt
  C:\Users\PC-user\AppData\Local\Temp\WER8E1D.tmp.mdmp

Ooooops downloaded for windows 10 :-[

now downloading version 13 for win 7

AGS 3.4.0.11 Will no longer get passed splash screen and errors..

3.2.1 ok

May have to go back to 3.2.1 :~(

Crimson Wizard

I think there is a huge misunderstanding, you do not need Visual Studio, you need Visual C++ Redistributable:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26368
VC Redist is a smaller package, which is downloaded for free, and needed to run certain programs made with Visual Studio (AGS Editor is one).

Requirements for AGS are listed on the homepage:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/ags/

Quote from: tzachs on Fri 03/02/2017 01:56:42
@Crimson Wizard, from the error it looks like the released editor was compiled in Debug mode, and not in release mode?
It is made by build server, but I never paid attention. Might check that out.
But seriously, one would need to have MSVC debug libraries if it is built in Debug configuration.

Slasher

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Fri 03/02/2017 18:24:05
If 3.2.1 runs ok why not 3.4.0?

3.2.1 was the last version built by Chris Jones, and when we started to build our own versions, we used different version of libraries, so it now needs different VC Redist.

tzachs

Quote from: slasher on Fri 03/02/2017 08:39:27
I ended up re downloading community edition which caused license issues..
VS Community 2015 is completely free, it shouldn't cause license issues.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 03/02/2017 17:52:49
I think there is a huge misunderstanding, you do not need Visual Studio
He does need visual studio in order to re-enable JIT debugging (or alternatively, change the registry, as I explained earlier). This will not be necessary if he gets a release build of the editor instead of a debug build.

But seriously, one would need to have MSVC debug libraries if it is built in Debug configuration.
I'm not following your train of thought here, surely a build server which supports c# release builds also supports c# debug builds.

Slasher

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help guys (nod)

i'v weeded out what seems to be the problem...

I reinstalled a new 3.0.4.11 and it inadvertently (not knowingly) installed it to the Desktop... So AGS error'd when trying to create a game from ags original location..hence the problem... I discovered the Desktop AGS this morning..Loaded it up  ok, chose start new game and Templates opened up. Only about 8 of my original Templates were there..

I tried transferring the original Templates but AGS error'd. So I opened up previous game and saved it as a template... ok so far.. However, it does not overwrite the files in MyDocuments which still point to the original AGS..

If I move a MyDocuments Game folder somewhere else it loads it warns about the version when it loads. If I then compile it and it overwrites the game new location folder. It also allows to make a template in the new ags templates folder.. This is a bit of a pain thing to do..

This is seems strange behavior that i need to deal with.. I need the new AGS to point to the correct Folders...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: tzachs on Sat 04/02/2017 04:48:37
I think there is a huge misunderstanding, you do not need Visual Studio
He does need visual studio in order to re-enable JIT debugging (or alternatively, change the registry, as I explained earlier). This will not be necessary if he gets a release build of the editor instead of a debug build.

I meant, he did not need it to make AGS work. I was under impression that slasher installed visual studio by mistake, thinking that he needs that to run AGS Editor.

Quote from: tzachs on Sat 04/02/2017 04:48:37
I'm not following your train of thought here, surely a build server which supports c# release builds also supports c# debug builds.

I mean, you may need debug versions of native libraries to RUN debug build of the Editor (because it contains native C++ code).
I recall in the past I did this mistake couple of times, and people complained that they cannot start Editor because of that.

EDIT: I tested DLL dependencies for AGS.Native.dll and it is definitely built for release, but I do not know how to check the configuration of C# binaries.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Sat 04/02/2017 06:53:13
This is seems strange behavior that i need to deal with.. I need the new AGS to point to the correct Folders...

AGS does not support this now. You need to either install AGS at same location as before, or copy templates from old location.

Quote from: slasher on Sat 04/02/2017 06:53:13
I tried transferring the original Templates but AGS error'd.

And what was the error?

Also, you keep saying that you installed 3.4.0.11, but that version is pre-release version of AGS 3.4, and is several months old. Are you sure you did not have higher version installed last time?

Slasher

Hi Crimson,

QuoteAlso, you keep saying that you installed 3.4.0.11, but that version is pre-release version of AGS 3.4, and is several months old. Are you sure you did not have higher version installed last time?
I installed ags 3.4.0.11 from the same .exe I already had...

AGS-3.4.0-RC2... to be precise..

The latest installed AGS will not except templates from the original ags' template folder when I copy them over..

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Sat 04/02/2017 15:58:16
The latest installed AGS will not except templates from the original ags' template folder when I copy them over..

Could you be more precise, does it not display them in the template list, does it show some error when loading them?

Slasher

If I copy any template from the original ags location and paste them into the new ags location then open ags and click make game the game errors. If I then delete the template from the new folder location and restart ags it does not error and open up templates.

I think there must be an AGS incompatibility between ags template versions for moved templates to be rejected.

Mind boggling (laugh)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Sat 04/02/2017 18:05:32
If I copy any template from the original ags location and paste them into the new ags location then open ags and click make game the game errors.

And the error message is?...
Does it show error when you open template selection, or when you click on template and create game, or when you compiled game?

Slasher

Hi Crimson,

QuoteAnd the error message is?...
Does it show error when you open template selection, or when you click on template and create game, or when you compiled game?
it errors as soon as you click on create game...

error i believe says..close and then get debug message..

Slasher

I may well have pin pointed why ags will not load certain Templates (perhaps).

I just noticed that one ags installed is 3.4.0.11 and the other installer was 3.4.0.11 R2

Could this be the issue why it errors when trying to load a template.agt?

That is, will 3.4.0.11 R2 load old 3.4.0.11 templates?

And will the last 3.4.0.11 installed override where the Templates are stored?

Crimson Wizard

Older versions of AGS cannot load templates that were made with later version. If you are having errors loading templates, then you probably trying to use templates from newer version in the old version of the Editor.

Newer versions of AGS should load templates from older versions, although you sometimes may need to change certain settings to make them compile.

There is no such thing as "AGS 3.4.0.11 R2". There were AGS 3.4.0 RC2 (means release-candidate #2) which full version is 3.4.0.11, and 3.4.0 P2 (means patch-2) which full version is 3.4.0.14. Maybe you are confusing them?

In any case, 3.4.0.11 is pre-release, not final, version (and half-year old). I keep suggesting to update to most recent version, which is now 3.4.0 Patch 2 (full version 3.4.0.14).
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=54417.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk