Can anyone point me in the direction of tutorials for Adventure Game creation?

Started by Uhfgood, Sun 05/02/2017 22:03:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Uhfgood

I'm looking for content to put onto the subreddit I'm moderating at present.  I'm interested in anything that is specific to adventure game development.  For instance, backgrounds, characters, animations, writing.  Granted you can find a lot of stuff on each of these as individual subjects (for instance how to draw/paint), but not as specifically applied to adventure games themselves. 

For instance I can learn how to paint a nice fantasy scene, but doesn't mean it would make an interesting and useful background for an adventure game.  ADV games are a bit like animated cartoons.  The background with an animated cartoon has got to support the animation that's going to be displayed over said background.  So you find ways of drawing the eye to a particular location, and try not to make it too busy because it will eventually be filled. 

However, an adventure game background may require several areas where the action will take place, and will have some general animations (not specific ones, for instance in the washing scene in the animated film snow white, only half of the dwarfs bodies are animated, and the wash basin or trough is in the center.  They didn't need the area around in the background to be used so they made the background very specific to the animated scene, which might not work for an adventure game where characters may need to roam around).

Also in writing the story for an adventure game, you may want to use the 3-act structure, but not necessarily want to write the game like a complete screenplay (since a game is more dynamic and less linear).  So while I can find tutorials on screen-writing, even writing for some other types of games, I'm interested in writing specifically for adventure games.  In fact ADV games might have slightly different story requirements than, say, an action game which might only be concerned with cut-scenes).

Sound and music is similar to this.

So could anyone point me in the direction of tutorials that specifically deal with adventure game development?

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Danvzare

There's a stickied thread in the Critics' Lounge full of tutorials that have been posted in this forum.
You can find it here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=30939.0
Most of the tutorials probably don't work anymore, or the pictures are gone. But I'm sure some of them still work, and for those that don't, there's always the Wayback Machine.

Babar

The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Uhfgood

Babar - didn't you actually subscribe to the ags subreddit, because if so you should post that link in the sub.  Otherwise I'll probably post it.  I'm looking for more things to post in the sub, and it would look better if more than just myself posts to it.

Again, if you aren't subscribed then don't worry about it.

Quote from: Babar on Mon 06/02/2017 18:01:54
The tutorial section here: http://babar.uoou.info/

Babar

Quote from: Uhfgood on Tue 07/02/2017 16:29:02
Babar - didn't you actually subscribe to the ags subreddit, because if so you should post that link in the sub.  Otherwise I'll probably post it.  I'm looking for more things to post in the sub, and it would look better if more than just myself posts to it.

Again, if you aren't subscribed then don't worry about it.
I don't use reddit, uhf, so probably not. Go ahead! :D
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Uhfgood

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 06/02/2017 13:15:07
There's a stickied thread in the Critics' Lounge full of tutorials that have been posted in this forum.
You can find it here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=30939.0
Most of the tutorials probably don't work anymore, or the pictures are gone. But I'm sure some of them still work, and for those that don't, there's always the Wayback Machine.

Actually most of them don't work.  That thread needs to be updated or removed.  Honestly I looked there first before posting this message.  Perhaps I should have made that clear when I posted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk