Room background canvas size of game resolution

Started by Snarky, Mon 06/02/2017 19:44:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Whenever I create a room in the editor, there's a gray border around it, and if you zoom in and scroll around, you can end up outside of the actual background.

A while back someone explained that this is because some sort of default room template has a different resolution than the game resolution (for some to me inexplicable reason), and that there's a way to fix it. But my forum searches haven't been able to find the message. So if someone could explain it again, I would appreciate it!

Crimson Wizard

When AGS Editor creates a room it does not create a completely pristine blank object, but loads up a room template, similar to how it loads up game template to start new game project.

Default room template is called "blank.crm". I found out that even not every experienced AGS user knows that you can actually create more room templates from your existing rooms and select them when you create new rooms (even Dave Gilbert did not know that until recently), which probably means that UI design was not explicit enough to bring users attention to this fact.

I'd figure out that default room template is 320x200, and if your game is very hi-res, the difference may cause glitches. Ofc this is not an excuse for such glitch, and it should be fixed.

I also think that may be a good idea to import some blank background matching game size right after you create new room.

Snarky

Thanks! So... how do you change the template?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 06/02/2017 20:15:11
Thanks! So... how do you change the template?

Right-click on your room -> Create template from room -> Enter name of existing template and confirm overwrite.

Snarky

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk