SOLVED: Folder not updating

Started by Slasher, Sun 12/02/2017 21:11:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

My latest game is NOT updating its game folder properly... i added a new gui and it does NOT appear when i run the game from the games folder (after build all files).. it shows when played in editor ok.

i change the developer name to test and this shows up when run from game folder..but no up-dated gui.

frustrated

Crimson Wizard

Is the game exe's time of last modification is same as time of your last building the game?

Slasher

Hi Crimson,

i'm in a bit of a pickle..

i open the Game.exe from game folder.. Game opens... if I save the game it does not update.. or it's doing it somewhere else...how can i know where it is and if its is updating..?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Sun 12/02/2017 23:56:16
i open the Game.exe from game folder.. Game opens... if I save the game it does not update.. or it's doing it somewhere else...how can i know where it is and if its is updating..?

First of all, what folder is it exactly where you run your game from?
Secondly, open File->Preferences in the main menu and see whether the "Use legacy compiler" option is checked in the very bottom of the window.

Slasher

hI

I opened up Desktop/LOST DEMO/PROJECT NEW LOST Test

files are in this directory

In ags properties i pointed to this folder..

If I add a SAY then in-game it display...but not from Game folder...

I've just looked and NO GAME exe was bulit..

Just got this when compile all files

Unexpected error: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\PC-user\Desktop\LOST DEMO\PROJECT NEW LOST test\Compiled\Windows\Thumbs.db' because it is being used by another process.

When i now open the game from compiled folder it shows old game version...

Crimson Wizard

This seem to be related to same extra Thumbs.db file in your Compiled folder.
Try enabling seeing hidden files in windows file explorer and remove it.
How to see hidden files: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files
(Optional) How to disable Thumbs.db creation in Windows: https://www.sitepoint.com/switch-off-thumbs-db-in-windows/

Meanwhile I will check why AGS even bothers about hidden files and try to make patched version that will ignore them.

Slasher

Hi Crimson,

i'v just looked and it seems that the set up and exe saved in the compiled folder but not into the windows folder...

i'll recheck a few times... i'll be back (laugh)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Mon 13/02/2017 00:28:28
i'v just looked and it seems that the set up and exe saved in the compiled folder but not into the windows folder...

This is what I asked to check couple of posts earlier...

Also open File->Preferences in the main menu and see whether the "Use legacy compiler" option is checked in the very bottom of the window.
If it's checked, file gets created in Compiled.
If it's not checked, file gets created in Compiled/Windows.
If you change this option, I strongly recommend to delete Compiled folder completely before proceeding.

Slasher

Legacy was NOT checked.. so i checked it.. and the exe and setup were there outside windows folder.. i did have it unchecked but it failed to save the exe to run the game...

having these outside the windows folder, is that a problem as it seems to work?

If I were to delete the complied folder i assume it would be rebuilt???

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Mon 13/02/2017 00:36:43
Legacy was NOT checked.. so i checked it.. and the exe and setup were there outside windows folder.. i did have it unchecked but it failed to save the exe to run the game...

having these outside the windows folder, is that a problem as it seems to work?

If I were to delete the complied folder i assume it would be rebuilt???

Unless you have important files in Compiled folder that you put there by hand, then everything should be rebuilt after you run Build.

If you are fearing something may go wrong, make a backup copy of whole game project.

But honestly, I am confused again by what you say. Was legacy checked before or after you started getting those problems? I just cannot tell.

BTW, deleting Compiled folder may also fix the Thumb.db problem (unless Windows decided to create one there again).

Slasher

Hi Crimson,

legacy was unchecked and only checked a short while ago as per last post...

i will do a back up, delete compiled folder and do a full rebuild and hope..

thank you Crimson for your help ;)

slasher

Slasher

Hi Crimson,

I copied the games folder and moved it somewhere safe. I then deleted the Compiled Folder. Opened ags and un-ticked Legacy Compiler. Did Build all files. Low and behold...back to normal (nod).

I'm going to try to QuitGame normally and see if those warnings still come up..
Edit: Yep..still get warning of Dynamic sprites not being deleted..

Remaining problem..
I'm using 3.4.0.14 and if i import a  game from 3.4.0.10 it will make a template from it but ags errors when trying to start new game.

Cheers Crimson ;)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: slasher on Mon 13/02/2017 14:20:37
Remaining problem..
I'm using 3.4.0.14 and if i import a  game from 3.4.0.10 it will make a template from it but ags errors when trying to start new game.

I am looking into this.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 13/02/2017 14:36:17
Quote from: slasher on Mon 13/02/2017 14:20:37
Remaining problem..

I am looking into this.

I found error in AGS, occuring since AGS 3.3.5; it happened when game template or compiled game contained a file which name had more than 50 characters in it.
Here is a fixed version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/7abqc7xcs91kcqk/AGS.Editor.3.4.0.14--template-load-fix.zip
I will be releasing a new patched version soon.

Slasher

Hi Crimson,

Patch fix works and solves the Template issue (nod)

thanks so much (nod)

Sent you a PM...

Edit: There are also no longer the dreaded warning text file of un-deleted sprites.

Edit: The warning text file of un-deleted sprites are back when quitting via Quitgame button.

Cheers ;)

slasher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk