Mittens 2017 - Hafnir, Iceland, 15-22 July

Started by AGA, Fri 17/02/2017 07:48:42

Previous topic - Next topic

AGA

Of course no Mittens has ever involved the whole time being spent in the city regardless. The whole country's only eight hours' drive south west to north east, so we could probably do all the things in a week if we have cars...

GarageGothic

Too late to join? I am taking a loan in my apartment anyway, so who cares if it's gonna be pricey :) Wanted to go to Iceland since watching Sense8.

AGA

Well... I did notice that there are two sofas in the living room. And of course floors in every room.

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: Esseb on Fri 31/03/2017 11:23:01
other than http://phallus.is/en/ of course.

Thanks for booking AGA!

I will bring a drone along to get some pretty pictures

Disco

Quote from: Esseb on Fri 31/03/2017 11:23:01
http://phallus.is/en/ of course.

\o/

---

I have unearthed a website unique to the house with a few bits of information and a slightly expanded image gallery at http://www.luxuryhouse.is

Privateer Puddin'

Has anyone started looking at flights yet? Only one coming from UK, but just to get idea of what time people would be arriving..

AGA

Well we're very close to the airport, and house rentals usually open around 14:00 like hotels do...  If we rent two cars it might be sensible to either all arrive at the same time, or for there to be two sets of similar arrival times.

Since the booking's in my name, we'd plan to arrive at around 14:00 to collect the keys.  We're not quite ready to book, but should be doing so over the next couple of weeks.

Snarky

2ma2

Unless there's a large influx of Mitteneres that plan to arrive late at night on Sunday the 16th, I and Yamipanda* will arrive around 15:30 on Sunday at Keflavik.

*which of course is enslaved by blasphemous magick and follow my every logistical whim, be it by road, air or sea (but not across running water or out of Swindon by car, which I'm told to believe is beyond the ken of any mortal man, woman or sentient polyp...)

AGA

You do know that's the second day, right, not the first?

2ma2

...yes. Absolutely. Mm-hmm. Yup.

In honesty, I never re-calibrated my inner calendar from Snarky's initial suggestion. An understandable mistake to be sure, could've happen to anyone, it's not like the correct dates ARE PRESENT IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF THIS VERY THREAD.

:cool:

AGA

Are two people willing and able to rent cars?  We don't have access to the credit card at the moment, so unfortunately won't be able to book one ourselves.  Of course we should split the costs of the two cars combined eight ways to ensure the drivers aren't left out of pocket.

2ma2

I haven't bought my airfare yet, so I'll be sure to look for promising combos of flight and car-rental. If not, I'll just book a car separately.

If available, we'll still go with two 5-seaters instead of one 9-seater, correct?

AGA

I don't personally have a preference for two over one vehicle... I'd just consider the price!

Esseb

I'd book a car, but I strongly suspect they require a license to drive? Maybe Iceland is more relaxed about these things though, I don't know.

Privateer Puddin'

Hello! I will arrive at 17:15 on the 15th.

Snarky

I'm arriving in Reykjavik quite early on 15. July, at 07:55 (and flying out on the 22. at 18:35).

No driver's license, so can't help with the rentals, I'm afraid.

Are you going to want some money from us at some point for the house?

2ma2

Been checking up on the car rental. There's a couple of brands that offer 8- and 9-seater vehicles, but the fee matches two smaller 4- or 5-seaters, so we might as well go for two and the additional mobility. I found no good offers along with my air fare, so I can post a couple of rental suggestions in this thread. I initially thought about going with Rent-a-wreck, since I've had perfectly good experience with the franchise back home, but an emailed query return an answer with a redirection URL of www.wowcarrental.is - and since WOW is regarded as a shite company overall, I feel less inclined to try that rental service; I really don't want to hassle with a non-existent customer rep if something goes south :(

EDIT: Me and Yamipanda will arrive at 09:10 local time on the 15th.

Disco

Quote from: 2ma2 on Fri 12/05/2017 15:30:30
...and since WOW is regarded as a shite company overall, I feel less inclined to try that rental service;

I was going to ask if anyone had any experience with them in this thread, as it is the best fare for me by over $100, even including bag fees (I normally bring a single backpack anyways).

Are they any worse than the likes of easyJet or Ryanair? I would not be traveling return with them, so may be willing to take a chance on a single five hour overnight flight.

AGA

We booked WOW.  They're actually headquartered at Keflavik, so who knows, maybe those routes are well served...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk