Mittens 2017 - Hafnir, Iceland, 15-22 July

Started by AGA, Fri 17/02/2017 07:48:42

Previous topic - Next topic

AGA

Mittens 2017 is confirmed for this house in Hafnir, Iceland from 15-22 July.

Attendees

2ma2
AGA
Disco
Esseb
Privateer Puddin'
Snarky
Tamara
yamipanda
(8)

It's that time of year again when we need to think about organising this year's Mittens. Does anyone have any suggestions? I think someone might have suggested Iceland during last year's Mittens.

Interested Parties

2ma2
AGA
Disco
Esseb
Monsieur OUXX
Privateer Puddin'
Snarky
Tamara
yamipanda
(9)

Disco

Iceland would be lovely. Nothing much else comes to mind that we haven't explored previously, and it would be a good compromise for location between North America and Europe.

I am fine with any time before September.

AGA

We're going on a longish trip early September, and have other some stuff early August, so we'd prefer sometime in July if possible.

Privateer Puddin'

I am fine with Iceland and July

AGA

So I've had a quick look at villas, mid July:

10 bed cottage, close to Reykjavik and the golden circle
15 people house, similarish area
20 person house, east of the country.  This is fairly expensive though, and would require a change at Reykjavik airport to get to the local airport

There are only 18 villas in the whole country on the site I looked at.  Most of them seem to fit a fair number of people at a decent price though, so we should find something to suit our numbers.

Snarky

I'm in! As always, I'm all about the bathing, and despite Iceland not exactly being a tropical paradise (avg. high of 13ËšC in July!), they do have a lot of hot pools. I've been there once before; that was in November, though, so the overall impression was dark and drizzly. Seemed to be a good music scene in Reykjavik, but I think that may have been because it was some kind of festival.

I can do July, as long as we get the dates fixed relatively soon so I can schedule other stuff around it.

Andail

I would love to go to Iceland, but we got a new baby coming up and we'll also just have moved into a new house, so the odds aren't great. Still might be able to pull off a weekend, who knows...

yamipanda

Grundislav

Out of my price range, unfortunately, though it would be awesome to check out some hot springs.

2ma2

I've wanted to visit Iceland for a very long time. Nothing like a good excuse to pull the thumb out of my idea-repository.

Esseb

I'm interested. July works for me, and I've always wanted to visit Iceland!

abstauber

Awesome destination (nod). But I'm in the same shoes as Andail, so no Mittens for us I'm afraid.

AGA

So we're eight so far. We should start thinking about booking something that I can do it in  soon. Around ten looks like a safe bet.

Monsieur OUXX

I'm interested but it will be a complicated summer (a wedding to attend, not much holiday left, etc.). So I can't give a final answer yet.

EDIT : not my wedding

[delete}

Whoohoo, Monsieur OUXX is getting married!  ;-D  It'll be not complicated â€" just simply great!

/starts drawing bridegroom-to-be over Indy sprite (53px)

EDIT: /cancels DJ and ice-statue.

Stupot

We were planning a trip around the sane time and were super close to booking Iceland. It would have been cool if it had coincided with Mittens. As it turns out though, we're going to Prague, Vienna and Budapest so that's off the table.

AGA

Congratulations to Cat, but I've split all that discussion off into another thread.

Snarky

So, is it a plan? The 10-person cottage looks good, and is available 16-23 July. Might not be a bad idea to book it soonish.

AGA

Are all eight who've expressed an interest so far okay with those dates? Anyone else?

Privateer Puddin'

I'll need to double check I can book it off, but personally yep that's fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk