Multiple Background without automatic looping

Started by m0rph84, Sun 19/02/2017 22:13:01

Previous topic - Next topic

m0rph84

Hello,
I thought it was simple to achieve but I was wrong  :smiley:
I've no idea how to load multiple backgrounds without making AGS automatically looping them.
I can't find anything on the manual or in the forum.
What I want to obtain is to load, after the user clicks on a specific object, a completely red background
with the DrawSurface function on the top of the main background with a certain degree of transparency and for a certain number of seconds:

DrawingSurface.DrawSurface(DrawingSurface *source, optional int transparency)

I have also the Tween module installed...I don't know if there is a simpler way to achieve that with it...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: m0rph84 on Sun 19/02/2017 22:13:01
I've no idea how to load multiple backgrounds without making AGS automatically looping them.
Simply use SetBackgroundFrame function, it locks room background at certain frame.

EDIT: actually...
Quote from: m0rph84 on Sun 19/02/2017 22:13:01
What I want to obtain is to load, after the user clicks on a specific object, a completely red background
with the DrawSurface function on the top of the main background with a certain degree of transparency and for a certain number of seconds:

if you want to make a red overlay over room, you could use SetAmbientTint function instead.

m0rph84

Thanks a lot!
Now I'm able to lock and switch backgrounds.

Quoteif you want to make a red overlay over room, you could use SetAmbientTint function instead.

Actually, I just tried SetAmbientTint but it apply only to characters and objects, I need the red tint to be applied also
to the whole background (I want to obtain an "hit damage" effect).

Any suggestion?

Crimson Wizard

Two background frames would work too, but if you have large scrolling room, or multiple rooms where you'd like to have same effect, painting on same background will work better:

Make global DynamicSprite variable, save original room background there, upon room load:

Code: ags

DynamicSprite *SavedBkg;

function Room_OnLoad()
{
    SavedBkg = DynamicSprite.CreateFromBackground(0);
}

When you need to change room background to red, get DrawingSurface from that frame and draw effect upon it. Then restore background by painting saved sprite on it.

Snarky

If you want to tint everything on screen red, instead of messing around with drawing on the background I would simply put a semi-transparent, non-clickable red GUI over the whole screen.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: m0rph84 on Sun 19/02/2017 22:53:58
Actually, I just tried SetAmbientTint but it apply only to characters and objects, I need the red tint to be applied also
to the whole background (I want to obtain an "hit damage" effect).
Quote from: Snarky on Mon 20/02/2017 00:00:56
If you want to tint everything on screen red, instead of messing around with drawing on the background I would simply put a semi-transparent, non-clickable red GUI over the whole screen.

Oh, I actually misread that m0rph84 wanted to make both background and characters tinted.
Yes, in that case transparent GUI or Overlay is better.

PS. I think I also confused SetAmbientTint with SetFadeColor/FadeIn function, because I thought that SetAmbientTint also works on background.

Snarky

... and then you can use the Tween module to "flash" red (by quickly fading the GUI in and fading it out more slowly), which I think is the effect you're looking for.

m0rph84

Perfect!

Thank you both.
I think the non-clickable red GUI is what I was looking for.

This is an amazing community!
Thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk