Does my game even have a pause menu?

Started by doctorhibert, Tue 21/02/2017 20:16:52

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorhibert

So I'm doing a game with the BASS template, and there's code in the in built scripts that goes "isgamepaused" and things like that, and I was wondering if there even is a pause menu, because I never messed with menus, and I don't remember ever being able to pause the game. Does the pause menu come with the template or do I need to make it myself? If so, how?

Danvzare

No, the BASS template doesn't come with a pause menu. Mostly because Adventure Games don't need one unless you're using timed puzzles. And timed puzzles are generally frowned upon in Adventure Games (not always though, it depends on the game).

The reason why the script uses functions like "isgamepaused" is because the game can be paused for other reasons. Such as the Quit Game dialog.

dayowlron

I haven't gotten to where I needed to research this but a question related to this. When the game is running a blocking command such as a walk with eBlock, if you had code in execute_repeatedly_always would "isgamepaused" return true?
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

doctorhibert

Thanks. Do you think adding a pause menu is worth it?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: doctorhibert on Wed 22/02/2017 22:26:53
Thanks. Do you think adding a pause menu is worth it?

What are you refering to as the "pause menu"?
If it is a menu where you can choose to save/load and change gameplay settings during the game, then it depends on whether there is any actual use for it in your game, and your general GUI style.
If it is only in sake of pausing the game, then I really do not know, maybe just add a pause mode which displays "paused" text on screen?

Quote from: dayowlron on Tue 21/02/2017 21:47:17
I haven't gotten to where I needed to research this but a question related to this. When the game is running a blocking command such as a walk with eBlock, if you had code in execute_repeatedly_always would "isgamepaused" return true?
If I remember right, it should not, because it is not really paused. Paused state makes everything in the room stop.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk