WHAM's AGS Monthly

Started by WHAM, Wed 01/03/2017 09:22:44

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

Whelp, I realized I haven't player a lot of AGS games lately and wanted to change that. So, to motivate myself, I decided to start making a video series of AGS games that have made the pick of the month. Basically the format is just me grabbing the game, starting it blind and seeing if I can beat it in one or two sessions of gameplay.

First part, starting from January 2016 and the game "The Unprintable Magenta", is here: LINK

Not my best work, but I hope to improve as I delve deeper into the cream of the AGS crop.

My plan is to release a new episode every 1 or 2 weeks, slowly catching up to the current time so I get to play the most modern games, while also doing separate series's of past year picks.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

CaptainD

Nice idea - make sure you drop Peder a message so he can give it a mention in MAGSAN! 

Stupot

Nice one WHAM. I look forward to checking it out :-)

Fitz

That was so much fun to watch for me as the kreator of this krazy game ;) Especially to see (or hear) how you enjoyed all the baaaad humor -- because I made an effort to make it as improper as I could ;) And I was really impressed by how far you'd gotten in the quiz in your first attempt! Though inducing a rage-quit was sort of the intention here :P Blame Hotline Miami! It came back to haunt me, as more and more gamers and LetsPlayers -- being used to finishing those short indies in one go -- quit definitely at the quiz and moved on to something else. A few did stick through it -- though that quiz alone would take them about an hour -- and usually breezed through last part of the boss fight that came after the quiz.
It's too bad I've put a large Magenta update on hold indefinitely -- because it was only missing a few tweaks, including a simplified quiz, with 4 options instead of 8 for every question, and hints that'd subtly suggest the correct answer.

WHAM

Quote from: Fitz on Thu 02/03/2017 08:39:53
..though that quiz alone would take them about an hour..

I tried! By the Gods I tried! :D I have two full pages of notepad paper on my desk with superhero names and colours and I still couldn't make it!

It was a fun game and I had quite a few good laughs with it, so cheers for that! My only regret is that my recording quality and audio quality were pretty poor, but I'll try to work on those as I go on again.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Fitz

Hm... I could hear some bad compression on high-pitched sounds (like Magenta screaming) and some echo, but other than that it wasn't that bad at all. I also liked that the game ran smoothly on your specs -- as I've seen some LP's where the sound and the visuals went completely out of sync (sync being crucial). Even my own old puter can't handle the intro with FRAPS on sometimes.

If you'd still like to finish the game, even if just for yourself, not the vlog, here's a cheat sheet with all the answers. I've really gone out of my way to make it as annoying and hard as I could. I actually don't know half these supers myself, I just put all the color-themed characters I could google -- and I would frequently fail the quiz myself while playtesting. But other than that, I think I've put the most effort in the game into making failure fun -- and it gets really crazy towards the end, with more and more elaborate cutscenes. There are a few involving the cop that don't end up with Magenta in prison, and there's just a ton in the first sequence with Karbon, depending on whether she tries using her power on Karbon, some element of the environment, dares Karbon to use his power on her or starts a fight with him, different for each of the three spots in that room. There's also one other cutscene for the sewer that you haven't seen -- and I actually made even MORE cutscenes in the yet unreleased update.

WHAM

Thanks man! I'll check out the ending over the weekend. I've got to say I really appreciate it when devs put in the effort to flesh out their game overs and bad ends and you've gone above and beyond when it comes to that. I'll have to try and take some inspiration from you! :)

WHAM

Just uploaded the second video in the series as I try to get this show on the road.
That was... that was an experience.

LINK TO VIDEO

Haggis

To be followed up with the sequel 'Let's vet : with fido'

selmiak

Thanks for playing it so I didn't have to :D

Cassiebsg

My kid loves it though, so there, target audience was reached. (nod)

BTW, you never heard of a fake drawer before? 8-0
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

WHAM

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 05/03/2017 10:14:28
BTW, you never heard of a fake drawer before? 8-0

I have not heard of a fake drawer before, no. Is that a thing somewhere in the world? WHY!?

And yeah, I can see a kid loving to play this sort of thing with a parent. For me, though, I don't think I'll ever get the sound of that dog out of my nightmares again.

Cassiebsg

Quote from: WHAM on Sun 05/03/2017 10:45:23
Is that a thing somewhere in the world? WHY!?

Esthetic reasons, since you can't have a drawer where the kitchen sink is... ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

WHAM

After a couple of weeks sick and hospitalized, I'm back and finally have a new video recorded and up for this series! Woo!

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: A Night in Berry!

LINK TO VIDEO

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk