Holy Ship! PLEURGHBURG IS AWESOME!

Started by shitar, Wed 16/04/2003 01:24:22

Previous topic - Next topic

shitar

I just finished the game. This is the best game ever! ::) (wasn't that obvious) Anybody gives this game a bad rating, I'll kill them. Yeah right. But seriously this is a good game.
MIRC: #ags #agsfun #hello #agsnude #agscake

AGA

I hate it. I hate that Chrille guy and all his games.

[Fe]

Matt Brown

I concur. it is a grand game. but is wasn't as cool as say...lassi quest!!!

I FOLLOWED YA!
word up

shitar

I hate it. I hate that Chrille guy and all his games.

[Fe]

:o ??? :o ??? :o ??? :o ???
MIRC: #ags #agsfun #hello #agsnude #agscake

auhsor

Yep, i agree, its the best original AGS game that i have played. It just goes to show that graphics don't mean much... Even though i played through ver 1 which didnt have the extra death pics... heh.

n3tgraph

* N3TGraph airguitars!

Gonzo

Auhsor, I always though Pleughberg graphics were kind of neat, they were simple but they looked good and you could always tell what stuff was meant to be. I may just be desensitised to it though - whenever my brother sees me playing an AGS game he often comments on the graphics being 'crap' when it doesn't bother me at all.

Back to the point, Pleughberg is awesome, one of the best games made using AGS. I took a long time before I got round to playing it (the name put me off I think, it sounded like some crazy fantasy game) but when I did I was blown away.

The close-up death scenes are eww though, I had to turn them off.

n3tgraph

eww?

I thought they were well made :) Just part of the game, I mean, come on. It's not real...... - is it? :o ;)

it's a great game ufcuz, but I thought the ending was a bit weak, but that's just my opinion. Not many made a great game like that - good work gaspop ;)

* N3TGraph airguitars!

Gonzo

Quote from: N3TGraph on Wed 16/04/2003 11:05:32
eww?

I thought they were well made :) Just part of the game, I mean, come on. It's not real...... - is it? :o ;)

it's a great game ufcuz, but I thought the ending was a bit weak, but that's just my opinion. Not many made a great game like that - good work gaspop ;)

I didn't mean they were badly made, just a little gruesome for my taste. If anything, they were TOO well drawn because they made me jump a little bit. I'm probably a big girly wussboy though, it's not like it's real.

As for the ending, that was one of my favourite bits. I saved a game at the start of that section and played to all the alternate endings just to see, which was fun.

Gilbert

Don't you know that the game has multi-endings ? ;)

I never really complete the game, but I know that for unknown reasons. ;D

Flippy_D

I went through the rather painstaking process of getting to all four endings as well... one of them really sucks, you kill yourself and half the population of PB. This is a very good game, right up there with King's Quest VG (and IMHO beyond it, because I don't really like KQ:VG that much).

Gonzo

You mean KQ1VGA? Yeah, Tierra's KQ1VGA is a bit boring, to be brutally honest - I had no real clue what to do. But KQ2VGA was wonderful, I really enjoyed that game. It probably has a slight edge on Pleughberg for best AGS game, in my humble opinion. Not to detract from the awesomeness of Pleughberg though, it really is an amazing achievement by Chrille.

n3tgraph

I know pb has multiple endings  :-*

But I just think the last bit was funny and not really that evil.
The first part with the morgue was very scary imo. But those men in robes at the end were kind of funny and didn't look like nasty head chopping killers.

But that's just my opinion. Don't forget that I like this game very very much
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Czar

FUNNY? MEN IN ROBES??? :o What more do you want it to be, so it is scary...i mean the word men in robes gives the whole scary thing its wholeness....
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Barcik

I think P:DA's graphics fit the atmosphere very well. It also has a great "underground" sense to it, which I think is good for an amateur game.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Archy in Germany

And don't forget the music. It reminded me of Deus Ex... who wrote the music for Pleurghburg btw?

AGA

Chrille

GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

Las Naranjas

I think 3d modelling would have worked alot better.

And that action scene in the woods was awesome, we you should have replaced some of those boring dialogue bits with more of that.

I mean, we don't need to know all the shit about the cult, we know they're evil, they wear robes and have red eyes. Lets skip to the shooting bit.

The music should have had more of a doof beat in in, 'cause i mean, I was trippin' half the time and it did nothing for me.

for a game for a guy who's stuck in the middle 90's it was ok I guess, but geez, ain't time caught up with you in Swedzerland or whatever, that's where you still have kings and all right?
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

n3tgraph

still I wonder why so little ags games use .mod or .xm files
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Gonzo

I don't actually know what .mod and .xm files are, and what their advantages over .mid are. Anyone care to clarify? Can Cakewalk make them?

n3tgraph

Mod and XM files are rather old... they come from the 386 / 486 age

(where I came from too ;D)

anyway... mods and xm's are usually made in so-called 'trackers' or 'tracking-programs'.

Examples of these are:
- Scream Tracker series
- Fast Tracker series
- Impulse Tracker series etc.

These probably won't work anymore on teh juicy windows machine's
but there are several windows trackers... I don't know many of them, but I have used 'ModPlug Tracker' once or twice and that is actually a pretty good program.

Mods and xm files aren't very large, but the sound quality is rather sweet. It has it's own feel to it. Midi files sound different on every computer because of different sound card....

Mod and xm files contain their own instruments. And you can also use sequences and other waves with mod / xm files. note that the waves have to be copied with the file. But the normal instruments are rather small.

I used to have a programme in dos with was like the winamp of dos for mods, but I don't really remember the name... was it something with 'visual' ? well anyway. I still like the mods pretty much

The mod and xm sound is used a lot by epic in the early days. Think of 'epic pinball'.

here's an interesting link
http://www.united-trackers.org/
Lots of instruments / downloads and songs

modplug tracker is to be downloaded here:
http://www.modplug.com/index.php3

You need to get used to it, because making the music differs a lot from making midi music, but it's not that hard - because I was doing that when I was 10 or so ;)

I believe the Pleurghburgh music were also xm files.

So there you go

I talk too much

I hope I have helped

Else shoot me ;)

Mommy I wanna go home

Bye ;)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Trapezoid

Epic's mod music was always nice, but to me the sound quality sounds rather cheezy, and the composition usually sounds kind of stiff and robotic. I have a 140 MB GM soundfont installed, so for me, MIDI > MOD a dozen times over.

Ben

But you have to remember that those early Epic games were made to run on 386 PCs and were distributed on floppy disks. Nowadays we can use lots of channels and high quality samples..

Okay, so we didn't do that in Pleurghburg, but we could  have :P

Really, in terms of sound quality, Xm and Midi are about the same.. It's just that most tracker musicians limit themselves to very mechanical-sounding styles.. Don't ask me why. It's probably just tradition -- people emulating the styles of the early trackers who didn't have the power we have now..

Trapezoid

Yep. The music in Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is awesome...

n3tgraph

Quote from: Trapezoid on Thu 17/04/2003 17:11:10
Epic's mod music was always nice, but to me the sound quality sounds rather cheezy, and the composition usually sounds kind of stiff and robotic. I have a 140 MB GM soundfont installed, so for me, MIDI > MOD a dozen times over.

what soundfont do you use?
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Trapezoid

Fluid, Release 3.
Looking at the reviews, it seems like a lot of people don't like it. But I do. :D There are some other full GM soundfonts there, I think Fluid is the best free one though.

n3tgraph

okay thank you :)

Sorry for late post... It seems when you leave here for 3 days... all the - then recent topics end up in page 2 / 3 :P

bu thank you, I will try them out soony.

Gonzo... you'd better reply!
I wrote that story for you ya know ;) ;D

edit:
btw... ben. I really liked the pleurghburg music! No need for hi tech stuff ;)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

LL Notorious B.I.G. Will C-H

i just started it last night, its really good, got a real police quest vibe to it, plus the musics great, the best ive heard in an ags game i think.
one thing, if anyone could help me, im stuck after finding the first body in the morgue. id of thought you would need to inform head office or something about it but dont knwo what to do. hints anyone?
Punk Quest 0.5 is now available for your perusal if you so wish http://punkquest.to-j.com

Flippy_D

Make sure you've got ALL the evidence from the crime scene. Plastic bags etc are useful. Give it to the evidence guy at the police station, then visit everywhere you can.

wha? what police station. ive done all the plastic baggery etc. but im pretty sure there's no police station on my map.
Punk Quest 0.5 is now available for your perusal if you so wish http://punkquest.to-j.com

Flippy_D

Er.... there must be.... the Detective HQ thing?

Chrille

Have you looked at the victim's wallet yet?  There's a name in it which you can search for on the computer in Jake's apartment.
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

Yahtzee

Not nearly as good as Rob Blanc... ;)

n3tgraph

hmmm okay, so I typed that story for nothin :P

oh well  :)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

sorted. i hadnt checked his body for the wallet. id assumed that you shouldnt mess with the body at murder scenes. its cuz of the police quest vibe im being a little too careful :)

Las Naranjas

in defence of the story, you're a detective, not a constable.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Trumgottist

Quote from: Ben on Fri 18/04/2003 02:31:55
Really, in terms of sound quality, Xm and Midi are about the same.. It's just that most tracker musicians limit themselves to very mechanical-sounding styles.. Don't ask me why. It's probably just tradition -- people emulating the styles of the early trackers who didn't have the power we have now..
A big reason is also that the rythmic resolution of the tracker formats is very limited compared to midi, so you can't play as natural as you would like. And the interface of the tracking programs also contributes to that.

That being said, I'm using .it for the music I'm writing for my game beacuse while MIDI sounds pretty good on *my* computer, it can sound absolutely horrid on someone elses. I used to have MIDI music in my action game Rocket Duel, but after hearing how it sounded on my brothers new computer I decided to change the format. The biggest plus with the tracking formats is that they sound exactly the same on any computer, without growing to the size of recorded sound.

Trapezoid

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember from a tracker I used, you could only place notes on every 16th or 32nd note or something. In MIDI you can place notes as freely as you want... I could be wrong though.

Edit- Oh, I see you just said that in the first paragraph. Yep. Well, there's another reason.

Ghormak

QuoteCorrect me if I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember from a tracker I used, you could only place notes on every 16th or 32nd note or something. In MIDI you can place notes as freely as you want... I could be wrong though.

True that. However, with some tempo manipulation you can achieve more complex rhythms than that in trackers, but granted, it's easier with midi.
Achtung Franz! The comic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk