User has weird problem related to Japanese locale

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sat 04/03/2017 11:14:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

We were reported this problem:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?issue=813.0

In short, whenever the user compiles the project, following error reported by AGS:
Unexpected error: The output byte buffer is too small to contain the encoded data, encoding 'Japanese (Shift-JIS)' fallback 'System.Text.InternalEncoderBestFitFallback'.
Parameter name: bytes
This error comes from .NET Framework during the compilation and printed on the output pane. Unfortunately such messages do not contain full call stack, so I cannot tell which operation failed exactly.

I was not able to reproduce this. I tried installing Japanese IME locale and compiling several projects, both existing ones and newly created.

Have anyone ever seen an error like that?

Crimson Wizard

This is caused by another bug in AGS, it does not save game properly if the default system locale (locale used for non-Unicode applications) is Japanese, or similar language which does translate to 1-byte ANSI strings as 1 letter to 1 character.

I am not sure, but I think this only happens in 3.4.0. Have to make another fix for this...

Crimson Wizard

I would like to ask for a little help from anyone who can spare 10-15 minutes of their time.

Here is a build that supposedly has fixed game compilation under default Japanese locale:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4bk2p2eq55rv305/AGS.Editor.3.4.0.15--japanese-locale-fix.zip

I do not ask you to try japanese locale on your computer, if you don't have one. I just want to be sure that it does not affect simplier cases (English, etc).
Could you download these files, copy them into your AGS program folder, and try compiling the biggest game you have (make a copy of that game first!).

If something goes wrong, reinstall official version of AGS.

I tested this myself, but I need to be sure, and I do not have too much free time to do extensive testing.

NicolaGs

I tested it. My project uses a custom font (with french accentuated letters) and it hasn't got issues.
My first game : I Want Out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk