The "Black Stories" crime riddles thread

Started by Kumpel, Mon 13/03/2017 23:07:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Trouble

So just so I understand this, when I move 1 glyph do the other glyphs on the track move too? Or can I move them past one another?

Cassiebsg

Water: NW
Fire: NE
Male: NE
Female: S
God: N
Devil: S
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Case #48
Paragraph #3: The Final Puzzles

Having figured out the puzzle of the key and button, and witnessing the amazing results, the box now sits before you slightly altered: Each side of the box now has a compass-rose of eight narrow slots radiating out from the central glyph-circle in all vertical, horizontal, and diagonal directions.
You have discovered that each glyph-circle can be slid along the compass-rose of new slots in eight directions. For convenience you think of them as: N, S, E, W, NE, SE, SW, and NW. Once a glyph-circle reaches the end of its track it locks into place. Once all six glyph-circles have been slid to the end of a track there is a "CLICK" from inside the box, the whirring sound starts again, and all the glyph-circles slide back to the center points. There is a "CLUNK" and the whirring sound winds down and stops.

You have:

A Wooden Box. ~
It's a wooden box about big enough to contain a softball. It has many intricate designs inlaid in what appears to be gold. You never had the time to examine it carefully while at Kilmurray's mansion, except for when you shook it and heard something heavy and metallic thumping around inside. Now that you have had time to calmly examine the box, you see that each side of the cubical box has some kind of glyph embossed in gold in the middle, surrounded by swirls of intricate and beautiful gold designs. The glyphs mean:
                                                 Top Glyph: God
                                                 Bottom Glyph: The Devil
                                                 Front Glyph: Fire
                                                 Back Glyph: Water
                                                 Left Glyph: Male
                                                 Right Glyph: Female

After solving the key/button puzzle the box is slightly altered: It now has eight slots radiating out in a kind of compass-rose from the central glyph-circle on each side of the box.
The box is sitting on the coffee table in front of you.

A Tiny Roll Of Paper. ~
This tiny paper you found inside the gold key reads:
                                                    As surely as The Mississippi flows non-stop,
                                                    As surely as Mount Vesuvius blows its top,
                                                    As sure as the arrow shot by man,
                                                    As sure as the cross borne by woman,
                                                    God above us is never wrong,
                                                    Yet the sinister one below us still grows strong.

A Gold Key. ~
This is the clockwork-winding key you used to unlock the glyph-sliding puzzle of the wooden box. The key is currently lying on the coffee table.

A Beer. ~
A freshly opened bottle of Wudbeiser beer. It is sitting on the coffee table in front of you. You have had 3 swigs of the beer.

Internet Access. ~
Your tablet lies on the table next to the box and beer.

To keep things simple game posts should follow this template:
Water: S
Fire: SW
Devil: NW
Female: NE
Male: SE

This shows both the order and directions you are moving the glyph-circles in.

WRONG SOLUTIONS

In this section I will copy/paste all the wrong solutions that have been tried and put the list in hide tags to avoid stretching out the post too much.

Spoiler

Fire: N

Water: SE
Devil: NW

Fire: SE

Water: SE
Fire: NW
Female: SW

Water: NW
Fire: NE

Water: N
Male: SW
Female: N
God: S
Devil: N

Fire: W
God: NW

Fire: E

[close]

Mandle

Updated above.

(Not correct)

Quote from: Morgan LeFlay on Fri 21/07/2017 21:36:32
So just so I understand this, when I move 1 glyph do the other glyphs on the track move too? Or can I move them past one another?

There is one glyph on each side of the box, each with its own 8 tracks to slide along. Sorry if my description was unclear. I probably should have used a graphic.

Kitty Trouble

I take a swig of beer.

Spoiler
Water: N
Male: SW
Female: N
God: S
Devil: N
[close]

Stupot

Spoiler

Fire: W (It looks to me like Mt. Vesuvius blew out from the west side.)
God: NW (Never Wrong)
[close]

Mandle

Updated above (including beer-swig counter ;) )

(Not correct)

Extremely mild hint (not hint to actual solution, but something you can do to narrow down your approach):

Spoiler
You still have internet access available. While the whole riddle cannot be googled, maybe phrases or single words can be...
[close]

Riaise

Search the internet for the Mississippi.
Search the internet for Mount Vesuvius.

Thought I'd try this first and then we can search for specifics afterwards if we need to.

Kitty Trouble

Search for any symbols/glyphs representing truth and strength.

Mandle

Nothing specific that could help found yet, or nothing you didn't already know.

Cassiebsg

Search: arrow shot by man
Search: cross borne by woman

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 23/07/2017 00:34:19
Search: arrow shot by man
Search: cross borne by woman

You don't find anything new, but you do gain some confidence in what you currently suspect these phrases might refer to...

Kitty Trouble

Search internet for the direction the river flows.
Search internet for the direction the volcano erupts.

Mandle

Quote from: Morgan LeFlay on Sun 23/07/2017 01:22:15
Search internet for the direction the river flows.
Search internet for the direction the volcano erupts.

The Mississippi river flows south.
There is not particular mention of the direction Mt. Vesuvius erupts in, apart from the obvious...

Kitty Trouble

(Eruption maps show Mt. Vesvius erupting in a general southeast direction, that's what I wanted to see your interpretation :) )

Stupot

Spoiler

Fire: E (for Eruption)
God: NW (Never Wrong)
[close]

Mandle

Riaise

Another guess:

Spoiler
[close]

Mandle

Cassiebsg

Search "God above us is never wrong"
Search "Yet the sinister one below us still grows strong"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk