The "Black Stories" crime riddles thread

Started by Kumpel, Mon 13/03/2017 23:07:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

YES?
Does the betrayer have special abilities?
Does the betrayer want/need something from humans (for example their blood or their fear) to stay alive?
Does the betrayer target victims specifically?
Does the betrayer use a secret identity?
Does the betrayer try to get a parasitic connection with its victims?
Can the betrayer be harmed with ordinary weapons (knives, guns, etc.)
Can the betrayer only be killed in a certain way?
Is the parasite able to take over/control the body of his victim?
Is the parasitic connection, the betrayer is trying to establish, eventually leading to the death of the victim?
Did the betrayer ever die for good on screen?
Is the betrayer sometimes inactive for a longer time span (months, years, centuries...)?
Does the betrayer speak a human language? x2
Does the betrayer target children? x2
Is the betrayer aware that he/she is a killer?
Has the betrayer visited or been in a fight with other killers in movie history?
Does the betrayer act nice towards their victims before turning nasty?
Does the betrayer wear clothes? x2
Does the parasite eat a particular body substance? x2
Is the betrayer from an other dimension? x2
Is the betrayer extra-terrestrial? *
Does the betrayer have telekinetic abilities?
Is the betrayer evil?
Is the betrayer himself the parasite?
Does he/she/it drink blood?
Does the betrayer have special abilities?
Does the betrayer use a secret identity?
Can the betrayer be harmed with ordinary weapons (knives, guns, etc.)
Is the betrayer sometimes inactive for a longer time span (months, years, centuries...)?
Does the betrayer drink blood?
Is the betrayer undead?
Is the betrayer humanoid?
Is the betrayer a vampire?
Does the betrayer target children? (Not specifically though)
Does the betrayer kill directly (rather than using traps, etc.)?
Is the betrayer male (or present as male)?
Is the betrayer a foreigner (relative to where their most famous movie mostly takes place)? (At first, yes. I'm not sure of the exact percentage of screen-times.)
Does the betrayer appear physically attractive (at least in some forms)?

NO?
Is the betrayer undead?
Has the betrayer ever killed children in his movie lifetime? (meaning on screen) x2
Does the betrayer wear a costume of sorts?
Has the betrayer ever spent time in an insane asylum or other psychiatric facility?
Have they been permanently scarred in some way?
Do they have a preferred weapon?
Is (or was) the betrayer at some part of the movie a human being?
Is the betrayer a loner?
Does the betrayer kill directly (rather than using traps, etc.)?
Does the betrayer want revenge on someone?
Can the betrayer change its appearance?
Is the betrayer extra-terrestrial? *
Is the betrayer some kind of ghost or spirit? x2
Is the betrayer being controlled by someone (or something) else?
Is the betrayer able to make himself invisible?
Is the betrayer able to fly?
Is the betrayer bigger than a normal human being?
Is the betrayer a disembodied being?
Does the betrayer need the human body for reproduction?
Is the betrayer humanoid?
Does the parasitic collect energy by absorbing certain feelings of his victim?
Is the betrayer only killing if the victim is in a certain state of consciousness?
Does the betrayer live in the sewers?
Does the betrayer take the form of its victims' greatest fears?
Does it take the form of a clown for a large part of its existence?
Can the betrayer be summoned by some kind of ritual? x2
Is the betrayer just misunderstood?
Can the parasite be fighted with caffeine?
Does the parasite develop inside the human body?
Does he/she/it eat brains?
is the betrayer extra-terrestrial?
Is the betrayer from another dimension?
Is the betrayer able to take over/control the body of his victim?
Is the betrayer the result of experimentation?
Is the betrayer able to enter a dwelling without opening a door or window?
Is the betrayer the creation of someone's imagination?
Can the betrayer change its appearance? (Not to the point of becoming unrecognizable)
Is the betrayer a disembodied being?

* These answers are on both lists.

Bold answers are ones that are 100% confirmed true.

DEAD PLAYERS
Cassiebsg: Electrocuted

WRONG GUESSES
Stupot: Pinhead, Candyman
Kumpel: Freddy Krueger, Kurt Barlow
Cassiebsg: It
Snarky: Dracula

Mandle

HAPPY PAGE 100, BLACK STORIES THREAD!!!

I didn't answer some questions because of the rollback. I probably just should have, but now they are all answered.

@Snarky: The horror movie trope rule was that only questions relating to matters that are likely to occur in horror movies, or relating to likely horror movie characters, should be asked. For example: "Is the betrayer male?" is too generic but "Does the betrayer eat its victims?" is fine. Any questions that fell into a grey area I answered though. This was an attempt to give the contest a slightly different flavour to just a "Guess Who" game. Anyways, yeah, the rule is now removed to speed things up.

Kumpel

@Mandle: Please add Dracula as a wrong guess ;)

Is the Betrayer Kurt Barlow from Stephen King's "Salem's Lot"?

Mandle

Quote from: Kumpel on Fri 27/10/2017 09:16:39
@Mandle: Please add Dracula as a wrong guess ;)

Is the Betrayer Kurt Barlow from Stephen King's "Salem's Lot"?

Oh, thanks, forgot about that.

Actually I will add your guess there as well. :P

Not Barlow, although I do love that book and character.

(I updated the above post rather than repost yet as the list groweth long. Also I kept the same format as before with guesses next to names even though it doesn't really matter anymore as there is no longer a guess-limit.)

Kumpel

Is the betrayer male?
Did the betrayer ever appear in a film mainly about him after 2000?
Can the betrayer be killed by a wooden peg through the heart?
Has there ever been a scene where one couldn't see the betrayer's mirror image?
Is the betrayer evil through and through?

Snarky

Well, there aren't THAT many famous movie vampires, so...

The Vampire Lestat?

Mandle

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 27/10/2017 09:42:06
Well, there aren't THAT many famous movie vampires, so...

The Vampire Lestat?

The Lurker says:

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN OF THE CAPTIVE AUDIENCE, WE HAVE A WINNER!!!"

(The GM has no time at the moment to close this challenge out properly so please feel free to talk amongst yourselves during a brief intermission in tonight's feature.)

Riaise

Oh wow, well done, Snarky! So you're safe from death, now. We'll have to wait and see what The Lurkerâ,,¢ has in store next! 8-0

Also, Happy Page 100, everyone! :-D

Mandle

Quote from: Riaise on Fri 27/10/2017 13:49:16
We'll have to wait and see what The Lurkerâ,,¢ has in store next! 8-0

What The Lurkerâ,,¢ has in store is:

A MINI-CHALLENGE!!!

Everybody gets one guess at which player The Betrayer was.

No penalty for wrong guesses.

In the event of a tie the winner will be chosen randomly.

The winner is safe from death during the transition from Challenge 2 to Challenge 3.

And continue to feel free to chat amongst yourselves as well. Halloween grows close so anything to add to the mood would be wonderful...

The next update will be in 24+ hours from now. Halloween party for the kids at my school tomorrow. Busiest day of the year!

Stupot

Well done Snarky. I like how Mandle even used example questions pointing to Dracula in his examples at the beginning of the round. So it was obviously not going to be Dracula. But who would've guessed it would turn out to be another famous vampire.

My guess as to which player was the betrayer is Kumpel.

Good luck with the Halloween day, Mandle. Will we get a video tour like last year?

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 27/10/2017 16:04:38
Good luck with the Halloween day, Mandle. Will we get a video tour like last year?

Thanks mate. Yeah, hopefully a video tour but I will have to send a child through with the camera most likely as this year it's a Ninja Yashiki (Ninja-(Maze)-House) made from cardboard boxes much below my body size.

The maze is tricksy as well, with secret doors, sliding blockable passages, and turnable "rooms" that could lead N-S or E-W depending on rotation.

So the maze will be constantly changing while the kids are exploring it. I have a very complicated diagram of the layout drawn on the whiteboard so I can remember what's under the complex layers of cardboard that make up the maze's roof.

If all else fails I will just burrow through the maze myself with camera in hand destroying it as I progress.

Kumpel

Cassiebsg

I'm pretty sure it's not me.... I'm just a ghost, so don't mind me. (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Riaise

Haha, I'm glad Cassie can still communicate from beyond the grave! (laugh)

Mandle, that maze sounds awesome! I bet the kids will have a fantastic time! ;-D

As for the game, I also guess that The Betrayer is Kumpel.

Tabata

Congratuations to Snarky!
I was/am so confused, I never thought of a vampire as a parasite
... and now you come up with my favorite vamp-movie - gaah!

Sadly I lost track now because I usually get notifications whenever someone does a post,
but there wasn't any for several days now (wtf)

About guessing I don't have someone in mind but as you all are real clever I presume that you are correct with Kumpel.
On the other side - if you are even more clever it can only be someone that you don't think of ... hmmm
I think I'll guess Stupot then :wink:
(btw. Stu, did you loose you google+ connection? I was sooo used to that+ at your name (laugh) )

Happy 100!

Mandle

Quote from: Tabata on Sat 28/10/2017 12:43:44
I never thought of a vampire as a parasite
... and now you come up with my favorite vamp-movie - gaah!

It's also my favorite ever vampire movie and the only one that really tells the experience, fictional as it may be, of what it's like to be a vampire and what all those centuries more life than a human would really do to someone's psyche.

As for the confusion over the term "parasite". I took parasite as meaning an organism that depends upon taking something from another being to continue its existance. I guess maybe you meant a parasite as in something actually living within the body of the host like a xenomorph from the movie Alien. But the term "parasite" can even be applied to someone not actively seeking employment and just living off of welfare. So, in my opinion, which is also The Lurker's opinion, it certainly applies to a vampire.

I will be updating tomorrow sometime with the start of Challenge 3 which I promise will not be as tedious as this one started out to be.

So get those guesses in if you haven't already!

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 28/10/2017 14:51:48
But the term "parasite" can even be applied to someone not actively seeking employment and just living off of welfare.

I disagree, that is not a parasite! That is an unemployed person!
A parasite is when someone lives out of welfare and does NOT seek out employment (or someone that pretends to look for for a job, but doesn't really want one).

Snarky

Nice, cheers. I had to look up to check that Lestat is originally French, and therefore a foreigner (sort of) in New Orleans. And the "targets children" served as a good bit of misdirection while being perfectly accurate. (I always liked Kirsten Dunst in that role and others.)

Just in case there's some "person who it couldn't possibly be" twist, I'll guess that the betrayer was... Mandle!

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 28/10/2017 22:18:33
Quote from: Mandle on Sat 28/10/2017 14:51:48
But the term "parasite" can even be applied to someone not actively seeking employment and just living off of welfare.

I disagree, that is not a parasite! That is an unemployed person!
A parasite is when someone lives out of welfare and does NOT seek out employment (or someone that pretends to look for for a job, but doesn't really want one).

Cassie that's what "not actively seeking employment" means. The two bolded sections mean the same thing. ;)

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 28/10/2017 22:50:49
Nice, cheers. I had to look up to check that Lestat is originally French, and therefore a foreigner (sort of) in New Orleans. And the "targets children" served as a good bit of misdirection while being perfectly accurate. (I always liked Kirsten Dunst in that role and others.)

Just in case there's some "person who it couldn't possibly be" twist, I'll guess that the betrayer was... Mandle!

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant by "targets children". He purposefully drained the girl's blood so that Louis would have to turn her to save her "life" and that would bind Louis to him more once they had their own little "family". I'll have to watch the movie again on Halloween I think. That's just one example of how brilliantly written it is and how deep and real-feeling the characters all are.

Hahaha and I like your thinking on the "twist" betrayer theory. Now THAT'S a real horror movie trope.

Unfortunately it's not the case this time.

I will close guesses now and continue on to the betrayer's reveal and Act III tonight after work.

Cassiebsg

Oh, oops... somehow I missed reading the not in your sentence... :-[ And me thinking that I only forgot the "not" when typing... (roll)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk