The "Black Stories" crime riddles thread

Started by Kumpel, Mon 13/03/2017 23:07:23

Previous topic - Next topic

dayowlron

Was the crime arson?
Was there any destruction of property?

so many questions I dont know if either of those have been asked.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Tabata

Sorry, if something of this already has been asked, but scrolling back until I find a complete list to check (and translate some of the stated aspects) isn't that easy for me right now - also I lack of new ideas about what crime he might be guilty from.   :-[

Had the man committed fraud?
Has he mediated babies (illegal)?
He was trading organs?

Mandle

YES
COULD the crime have led to someone being hurt?
Was the man intoxicated?

NO
Is he a world leader?
Did he commit a war crime?
Did he illegally order someone else to do something?
Was a child/pet involved?

I've only answered the ones that haven't been asked before.

Snarky

Mandle

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 18/04/2017 00:30:32
What does "mediated babies" mean?

I'm assuming it means abortion. But as there are no babies involved I put safely in the no list.

Also: I wouldn't make up a riddle that involved abortion. That's just no-go territory!

Stupot

Did the phone call trigger an explosion?

Tabata

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 18/04/2017 00:30:32
What does "mediated babies" mean?
I fear that 'my friend' Google (translate) fooled me wit this. :-[
I tried to ask if he sells them (to those who can't adopt)

Sinitrena

It's a long list, I hope I don't repeat anything.

Was the crime an act of negligence?
Was the victim someone elderly?
Or someone with some kind of disability? (Mental? Physical?)
Did the crime happen at his place of work?
Does he work in a care home for the elderly or disabled?

Snarky

Was the man working when he caused the accident?
Did the outcome of what he did only become apparent later? (E.g. an electrician wiring up something incorrectly so that a day later someone gets electrocuted)
Did the victim become aware of the crime before police got involved?

Mandle

YES
COULD the crime have led to someone being hurt?
Was the man intoxicated?
Was the crime an act of negligence?
Was the victim someone with some kind of disability? (Mental? Physical?)
Did the crime happen at his place of work?
Was the man working when he caused the accident?
Did the outcome of what he did only become apparent later? (E.g. an electrician wiring up something incorrectly so that a day later someone gets electrocuted)
Did the victim become aware of the crime before police got involved?

NO
Is he a world leader?
Did he commit a war crime?
Did he illegally order someone else to do something?
Was a child/pet involved?
Did the phone call trigger an explosion?
Was the victim someone elderly?
Does he work in a care home for the elderly or disabled?

Sinitrena

Did he work with medical equipment?
Was he a health care worker? (Nurse? Doctor? Caregiver?)
Did the crime happen at the home of the victim?

Snarky

Was he a surgeon who drunkenly left his cell phone inside a patient?

Edit: Wait, I'm not sure that fits the "no one was actually hurt" clue...

Mandle

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 18/04/2017 13:05:24
Was he a surgeon who drunkenly left his cell phone inside a patient?

Edit: Wait, I'm not sure that fits the "no one was actually hurt" clue...

As the rest of the clues leading to the full solution have already been exposed, and as I'm quite sure they led Snarky to his conclusion:

I'd say that qualifies as a WIN!!!

SOLUTION
The man was a surgeon with a drinking problem. He performed a surgery, while drunk, to implant a pacemaker in a patient but failed to remove his smart-watch before the operation. During the operation the watch came loose and fell into the patient's open chest cavity and quickly became lost amongst organs and blood.

Upon returning home the surgeon noticed the watch missing and wondered where he'd lost it so he called it from his home phone in the hope that either it would ring somewhere nearby in his home, or that somebody had found it and would answer.

Instead the watch rang inside the patient's body. Greatly disturbed to hear a ring-tone coming from inside his chest, the patient called an orderly and, an X-ray later, the missing smart-watch was located inside his chest and removed by a different surgeon.

As this wasn't the original surgeon's first slip-up and also as a celluar device so close to a pacemaker could have caused it to go haywire and kill the patient, the surgeon was charged with criminal negligence.

(As the smart-watch hadn't yet caused the patient any injury, the "noone was hurt" answer is accurate I believe)

Snarky, I knew you were onto the right answer when you started to get almost every question in the YES list from a few updates ago...

I had a lot of fun this round. I hope others had some too...

OVER TO YOU, "MEI-TANTEI SNARKY"!

Mandle

Oh, and when I invented this case, I actually looked up the legal ramifications if a surgeon is grossly negligent. And yes, if the slip-up is serious enough to have been potentially life-threatening to the patient, then the doctor can be criminally charged, especially if it's not his or her first such mistake, and especially if drugs or alcohol can be proved to have been a factor.

I also researched a bit if it was possible for something as large as a smart-watch to go unnoticed in a patient's body during a surgery and found that even larger objects have been lost during operations and sewn up inside, sometimes with the patient carrying them inside their body for the rest of their lives and only being discovered much later upon their death, usually from unrelated causes. It seems that once something gets all covered in blood and slips into gaps between organs it is very difficult to visually recognize it as a foreign object.

Snarky

Oh phew! ;-D

Ha ha ha! Nice story, Mandle, but man that was HARD!

Yeah, I eventually started to get some sense of what kind of crime it was - basically by eliminating all other alternatives - but I couldn't square it with the idea that the cell phone (or, as it turned out, smart watch) was used to identify the culprit, because it seemed to me like if someone made a professional mistake while drunk it would usually be very easy to tie it to them. It was only Sinitrena's last bunch of questions that suggested a doctor and gave me the prompt I needed.

So credit goes to you, Sinitrena, and if you want to take the next round you are welcome to it. Otherwise I'll try to think up something...

Mandle

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 18/04/2017 13:52:16
Oh phew! ;-D

Ha ha ha! Nice story, Mandle, but man that was HARD!

Yeah, through the questioning process I started to realize how hard this riddle was, and I kept reflecting on if it was unfairly hard, but I kept thinking that as long as everyone keeps following the course of narrowing down the crime, and also finding out more about the man's job, it should become clear.

I almost gave a prod to perhaps ask about the man's profession, but I resisted, wanting to keep the process pure, and now I'm glad I did.

Sinitrena

Wow, what a riddle!
Even though you consider it solved, Mandle, there's still a whole lot we hadn't discovered. Phew.  8-0

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 18/04/2017 13:52:16
So credit goes to you, Sinitrena, and if you want to take the next round you are welcome to it. Otherwise I'll try to think up something...

You take it, I can't think of anything right now.

Mandle

Quote from: Sinitrena on Tue 18/04/2017 14:09:15
Wow, what a riddle!
Even though you consider it solved, Mandle, there's still a whole lot we hadn't discovered. Phew.  8-0

Actually everything was discovered if you sort through the HUGE pile of YES and NO replies...And also the posts where you guys summed up the case so far...

The small details are just really flavour added to the background story, but everything important to the case was asked and answered...

Snarky

OK, I've thought up another one. Might be a bit easier than some of the others.

Case 22
A car is found abandoned in the forest. Nearby, police discover the owners, a husband and wife, buried. The woman has been shot, the man hit over the head with a blunt object.

It's up to you to solve the case!

Yes

No

CaptainD

Did the husband shoot his wife?
Did the wife hit her husband over the head with a blunt object?
Was the gun from which the bullet was fired at the woman found near the crime scene?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk