The "Black Stories" crime riddles thread

Started by Kumpel, Mon 13/03/2017 23:07:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: The Last To Know on Tue 05/09/2017 17:34:52
Nope, just guessing which words could make sense and would rhyme ;)
But nice that you found a character where it fits. :grin:

Oh... I was sure you were guessing at Pet Semetary by Stephen King...

Stupot

Nice one. I like the format. This could be made into a minigame in AGS.

I preferred trying to make whole rhymes with all 7 slots in one go. Maybe one way the game could be adapted would be for entrants to have to guess all slots per turn. Then the host can only say how many correct answers there are but not which ones. Then as a team or individuals we have to play around until someone gets the whole rhyme and the name.

Mandle

Hmmmm... 50 cases? Could be a good curtain call for this game but...

NAAAAAW!!!

It's Halloween month so let's go with:

CASE #51: MIDNIGHT HORROR MOVIE SCREENING.

You all enter the darkened movie theater together in costume but only one of you will leave alive.

There is a maniac in the theater and he/she/it  HATES   patrons that are not up on their horror movie tropes and wants to  KILL   them all!

As you take your seats and the projector flickers into life clamps slide out of the armrests locking all your hands in place. No popcorn during this screening I'm afraid.

The killer lurks in the row behind, ready to off any one of you that fail his/her/its challenges.

The movie begins.

Challenge #1: The Curtain Rises

Your first challenge is a fairly easy one, the shadowy lurker tells you all.

Simply identify which horror movie you are watching by asking YES or NO questions about its tropes.

You can ask a question like "Is there a chainsaw in this movie?", for example, or "Is there an innocent virgin in this movie who is the only survivor?" but you should not ask questions like "Is this movie directed by Tobe Hooper?" or "Are there four main characters in this movie?"

Please keep your questions related to well-known horror movie tropes.

Anybody who asks a question that is not horror-movie-trope-related will be killed by the lurker and will be out of the game (meaning I, as GM, will not respond to any further questions from that person...Sorry, but it is a Halloween round and so simulated bloodshed is a must.)

The lurker (meaning myself, as GM) will be the final judge of whether or not a question pertains to a horror movie trope, and all deaths will be brutally final.

Oh, and guesses at what movie is being screened at this  MIDNIGHT HORROR MOVIE SCREENING  are allowed at any time, but a wrong guess will be your last.

YES

NO

DEAD PLAYERS

The Last To Know

Very cool idea! Is it okay to ask more than one question? If not, ignore the other questions but the first.

Is there a killer in the movie that seems to be dead, but suddenly is alive again?
Are persons in the movie that die shortly after or while they had sex?
Is magic or a curse involved in the story?

Mandle

Let's limit questions to three per update, so yours are fine AND you survive with nice tropey questions!

YES

NO
Is there a killer in the movie that seems to be dead, but suddenly is alive again?

DEAD PLAYERS

The Last To Know

Is a magic/evil book in the movie?
Are demons or demonlike creatures involved?
Are the victims cut off from civilisation (telephone is dead or something like that)?

Mandle

YES

NO
Are the victims cut off from civilisation (telephone is dead or something like that)?

DEAD PLAYERS

dayowlron

I will probably be the first dead player since horror movies are not something I have seen a lot of, but:
Not sure if it is similar to the question already asked about a dead character coming to life but
1) is the killer something that is anthropomorphic? (such as a doll or plant?)
2) does the killer kill more than 3 people?
3) not sure if this is a valid question as I understand your rules, but was there multiple sequels to the movie?
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Kumpel

Is the killer an angry restless soul that as a human suffered great harm or injustice?
Is the last surviving person a girl/woman?
Is one of the people that gets killed someone who thinks, being alone in a dark place/at night is a great idea?

Mandle

At first the lurker seems on the fence about one of dayowlron's questions but then decides that multiple sequels could be considered a horror movie trope. Horror movies, on average, do have the most sequels after all...

YES
is the killer something that is anthropomorphic? (such as a doll or plant?)(The lurker had to wiki the full definition of "anthropomorphic" and then decided on a "yes")
does the killer kill more than 3 people?
Is the last surviving person a girl/woman? (out of the main characters at least)
Is one of the people that gets killed someone who thinks, being alone in a dark place/at night is a great idea?(Not alone as in by oneself, but alone with someone else and thinking it great fun. This scene is about one and a quarter hours into the movie.)

NO
was there multiple sequels to the movie?
Is the killer an angry restless soul that as a human suffered great harm or injustice?

DEAD PLAYERS

The Last To Know

Is there some kind of mysterious virus or disease in the movie?
Does the movie have more than one killer/enemy?
Are the main characters acting stupid (like not staying together when they are in danger)?

Riaise

I don't watch horror movies, so I'm going to die horribly. Probably quite soon. :P

Does any part of the movie take place in an abandoned building?
Does the movie take place at Halloween?
Are the main characters teenagers?

Mandle

YES
is the killer something that is anthropomorphic? (such as a doll or plant?) (The lurker had to wiki the full definition of "anthropomorphic" and then decided on a "yes")
Is the last surviving person a girl/woman? (out of the main characters at least)
Is one of the people that gets killed someone who thinks, being alone in a dark place/at night is a great idea? (Not alone as in by oneself, but alone with someone else and thinking it great fun. This scene is about one and a quarter hours into the movie. And also there are some other victims that would match this description now that the lurker thinks about it (and the GM rewatched the movie))
Is there some kind of mysterious virus or disease in the movie? ("debatable, but probably yes" the lurker replies)
Does the movie have more than one killer/enemy? (Yes, but only briefly, and not overlapping.)

NO
Are the main characters acting stupid (like not staying together when they are in danger)? (There is a scene where the main characters split up while in danger, but not out of stupidity.)

DEAD PLAYERS

Tabata

Should the victims have avoided a specific car?
Should the victims have avoided using their smartphones?
Should the victims have avoided to watch TV?

Kumpel

Is the killer dying in a satisfying way in that movie?
Is there a twist that the killer is someone of the allegedly friendly main characters?
Does the movie take place in an american small town where everyone seems to know each other?

Creamy

Is one of the characters tripping while trying to get away from the killer?

Mandle

YES
is the killer something that is anthropomorphic? (such as a doll or plant?) (The lurker had to wiki the full definition of "anthropomorphic" and then decided on a "yes")
Is one of the people that gets killed someone who thinks, being alone in a dark place/at night is a great idea? (Not alone as in by oneself, but alone with someone else and thinking it great fun. This scene is about one and a quarter hours into the movie. And also there are some other victims that would match this description now that the lurker thinks about it (and the GM rewatched the movie))
Is there some kind of mysterious virus or disease in the movie? ("debatable, but probably yes" the lurker replies)
Does the movie have more than one killer/enemy? (Yes, but only briefly, and not overlapping.)
Should the victims have avoided a specific car? (One victim would not have died if they had not arrived in a car at the wrong time so, yes. Also several people (presumably) die in car crashes or getting hit/run over by cars so, under a different definition of "avoid", yes)
Is there a twist that the killer is someone of the allegedly friendly main characters? (Not a twist for the audience, but for the other characters: yes)
Is one of the characters tripping while trying to get away from the killer? (If you mean stumble and fall then, yes. This happens twice in the movie I believe. But nobody is on drugs at any point if that's what you meant. I'm assuming the former though.)

NO
Are the main characters acting stupid (like not staying together when they are in danger)? (There is a scene where the main characters split up while in danger, but not out of stupidity.)
Is the killer dying in a satisfying way in that movie? (The killer's death is quite sad so, no I guess. Matter of opinion I suppose)
Does the movie take place in an american small town where everyone seems to know each other?

DEAD PLAYERS

Mandle

At this point the lurker says "Wow, for a movie that I chose because I thought it was quite un-tropey, this film sure does have a lot of tropes actually..."

Stupot

Is one of the characters told not to veer off the established path in some way (for example, to "Stay off the moors!")?
Does a portion of the movie take place in an underground railway system (e.g. The London Tube system)?
Does the killer frequently change form (i.e. from a human into a werewolf)?

Mandle

YES
Should the victims have avoided a specific car? (One victim would not have died if they had not arrived in a car at the wrong time so, yes. Also several people (presumably) die in car crashes or getting hit/run over by cars so, under a different definition of "avoid", yes)
Is there a twist that the killer is someone of the allegedly friendly main characters? (Not a twist for the audience, but for the other characters: yes)
Is one of the characters tripping while trying to get away from the killer? (If you mean stumble and fall then, yes. This happens twice in the movie I believe. But nobody is on drugs at any point if that's what you meant. I'm assuming the former though.)
Does a portion of the movie take place in an underground railway system (e.g. The London Tube system)? (Not exactly a horror-movie trope question, but underground railway settings have been used in a fair few horror movies so the lurker will let it slide, especially as the answer is yes.)

NO
Is the killer dying in a satisfying way in that movie? (The killer's death is quite sad so, no I guess. Matter of opinion I suppose)
Is one of the characters told not to veer off the established path in some way (for example, to "Stay off the moors!")? (No, two of the characters are.) :P
Does the killer frequently change form (i.e. from a human into a werewolf)? (Not that frequently. Only twice.) :P

DEAD PLAYERS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk