The "Black Stories" crime riddles thread

Started by Kumpel, Mon 13/03/2017 23:07:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Answer: An American Werewolf in London :-)

I almost thought it was wrong because I nearly missed your comments in the 'no' section. Teehee.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 06/10/2017 04:36:41
Answer: An American Werewolf in London

CASE #51: MIDNIGHT HORROR MOVIE SCREENING.

The opening credits end and the movie begins. As the song "Blue Moon" fades out you see headlights appear in the distance from over a rise in the bleak countryside. The truck stops and the driver opens the back gate. The two young men in the truck bed jump out from amongst the hay and sheep and help the driver close the gate. The driver points and says "That's East Proctor..."

Just when you were getting into the movie, despite your entrapped condition, the lurker... hell, let's upgrade him to proper noun status... The Lurker butts in:

"Yes indeed, the movie is "An American Werewolf In London"! One of my favorite horror movies! But we are not done here yet! You see, as you all entered the theater in costume one of you was quietly chloroformed and replaced by my partner wearing an identical disguise. Ahem, and yes, he/she/it is also amazing at impersonating voices and so that's why... oh, nevermind... I doubt tropes need much forgiving anymore. You've already suspended your disbelief!

My partner happens to be a character from a horror movie, and quite a nasty one!

SO! It is time for a much-used and much-loved horror movie trope: The Hidden Betrayer!"

Challenge #2: The Wolf Amongst The Sheep

Your second challenge is a bit harder than the first, The Lurker tells you all.

Identify which horror movie character the betrayer is by asking YES or NO questions about his/her/its tropes.

You can ask a question like "Is the character immortal?", for example, or "Can the character be killed only by a stake through the heart?" but you should not ask questions like "Was the character ever played by Bela Lugosi?" or "Was the movie made by Universal Studios?"

Please keep your questions related to horror movie character tropes.

Anybody who asks a question that is not horror-movie-character-trope-related will be killed by The Lurker and will be out of the game (meaning I, as GM, will not respond to any further questions from that person...Sorry, but it is a Halloween round and so simulated bloodshed is a must.)

The Lurker (meaning myself, as GM) will be the final judge of whether or not a question pertains to a horror movie character trope, and all deaths will be brutally final.

Guesses at what horror movie character the betrayer is are allowed at any time, but a wrong guess will be your last.

Two players may not ask the same question in the same round, or two similar questions that are basically the same. Doing so will not result in death, but only the first question will be valid. However, a question the same as one asked in previous rounds may be asked. A round means the time between two separate updates.

And, just to add the spice that a decent twist betrayal needs in a horror movie:

The betrayer has now been chosen randomly from amongst the people who have already participated in the game so far.

The betrayer has been informed privately (could be via PM in AGS, IRC, FB chat, or any other means available) of his/her/its role, but NOT of what horror movie character he/she/it is.

The chosen betrayer can refuse this role if they wish to do so. In this case another player will be chosen at random and contacted.

The betrayer can choose once per update to change up to two of the answers The Lurker gives to the opposite: YES to NO or vice versa.

The betrayer may choose to change the answers of their own questions.

The betrayer doesn't need to post before an update to use their power to change question/answer outcomes.

The betrayer should try to send their selection of changed questions to myself (Mandle) privately (by our chosen private communication method) before the next update.

If the betrayer does not respond in time then the changed answers will be selected at random, as well as how many answers are changed (0-2) but the dice will be weighted as such:

1-4: No answers changed.
5: One answer changed.
6: Two answers changed.

In this case the betrayer will be informed of which answer(s) were changed via private communication.

Players may only ask up to three questions per update.

Updates will be fairly randomly timed depending on my RL schedule, but no more than one or two per RL day, and hopefully fairly evenly spaced.

The fate of the betrayer and of the rest of the cast will be determined by The Lurker (myself, as GM) as the end of this challenge.

If The Lurker feels his partner did a decent job of delaying his/her/its exposure as the betrayer then the betrayer shall be spared and a randomly determined player shall be killed in some brutal manner.

However, if The Lurker feels his/her/its partner let him/her/it down then the betrayer shall meet this fate instead.

Now, on with this  MIDNIGHT HORROR MOVIE SCREENING

YES

NO

DEAD PLAYERS

milkanannan

Riaise

Nice one, Stupot! And we all survived! :-D Now I'm wondering what challenge #2 will be...

Mandle

Please refrain from posting questions in this thread until the betrayer character's identity is finalised.

Any comments other than questions are fine.

Tabata

holy moly 
I am feeling really halloweenish - spooky - bloody - ... and touched by a deadly breath already!

... especially because I don't even understand the 'job' of the betrayer and what I have to expect by 'changed' answers :-[
Does it mean we are lied to to make it even more difficult?

Mandle

Quote from: Tabata on Fri 06/10/2017 18:49:20
... especially because I don't even understand the 'job' of the betrayer and what I have to expect by 'changed' answers :-[
Does it mean we are lied to to make it even more difficult?

Basically, yes. But remember that the betrayer is also trying to figure out what character they are (amnesia trope I guess) so they will not be 100% sure what answers are valuable info and which aren't.

Oh, and a slight rule update that I will also add above:

Two players may not ask the same question in the same round, or two similar questions that are basically the same. Doing so will not result in death, but only the first question will be valid. However, a question the same as one asked in previous rounds may be asked. A round means the time between two separate updates.

Okay, CHALLENGE #2 IS NOW OPEN. ASK AWAY!

Kumpel

Is/are the killers undead?
Are highschool teenagers involved?
Are there multiple killers?

Oh boy. Must have missed that post ;)

New questions incoming soon...

EDIT

Is the betrayer undead?
Has the betrayer ever killed children in his movie lifetime? (meaning on screen)
Does the betrayer wear a costume of sorts?

Stupot

Pssst, Kumpel (nudge nudge) we have to ask questions about the character/betrayer but some of yours are more about film tropes again.

Here are some Q.
Has the betrayer ever spent time in an insane asylum or other psychiatric facility?
Have they been permanently scarred in some way?
Do they have a preferred weapon?

Mandle

Oh, and I'd also like to add:

Can we please keep this game only to this thread. Please don't PM other players or hassle them on IRC etc.

And no directly asking someone if they are the betrayer. While this might feel a little like a game of Mafia it is not. Let's not make the betrayer have to lie about their role as they might not enjoy lying directly to someone. The goal is not to make the betrayer squirm until they give themself away. Again, that's Mafia and this is not.

Cheers!

Tabata

Does the betrayer have special abilities?
Is (or was) the betrayer at some part of the movie a human being?
Is the betrayer a loner?

Riaise

Oooh, the game is getting even more twisty! :-D

Does the betrayer kill directly (rather than using traps, etc.)?
Does the betrayer want revenge on someone?

Mandle

Kumpel starts to say something that could have gotten him killed, but Stupot has his back it seems and jabs him in the ribs.

YES

NO
Is the betrayer undead?
Has the betrayer ever killed children in his movie lifetime? (meaning on screen)
Has the betrayer ever spent time in an insane asylum or other psychiatric facility?
Is the betrayer a loner?

DEAD PLAYERS

Tabata

Can the betrayer change its appearance?
Does the betrayer want/need something from humans (for example their blood or their fear) to stay alive?
Is the betrayer from an other dimension?

Stupot

Is the betrayer extra-terrestrial?
Is the betrayer some kind of ghost or spirit?
Does the betrayer target victims specifically?

Riaise

Is the betrayer being controlled by someone (or something) else?
Does the betrayer use a secret identity?

Kumpel

Is the betrayer able to make himself invisible?
Is the betrayer able to fly?
Is the betrayer bigger than a normal human being?

Mandle

YES?
Does the betrayer want/need something from humans (for example their blood or their fear) to stay alive?
Is the betrayer from an other dimension?
Does the betrayer target victims specifically?
Does the betrayer use a secret identity?

NO?
Is the betrayer undead?
Is the betrayer a loner?
Can the betrayer change its appearance?
Is the betrayer extra-terrestrial?
Is the betrayer some kind of ghost or spirit?
Is the betrayer being controlled by someone (or something) else?
Is the betrayer able to make himself invisible?
Is the betrayer able to fly?
Is the betrayer bigger than a normal human being?

DEAD PLAYERS

Mandle

Upon reflection, I have decided that, given the difficulty of this round, The Lurker will be slightly more lenient about the actual character guesses/death rule:

Each player who has previously replied in this thread during this case gets 2 chances extra at guessing. A third wrong guess will maybe be death.

New players to this case only get the one chance. A single wrong guess could mean death.

However if a guess at the betrayer's identity is on the right track/close to the betrayer's identity then The Lurker may consider sparing that player: I will roll a dice to determine if The Lurker kills or spares in this case. The exact odds will depend on how close I judge the guess to be:

1: Somewhere in the ball-park
2: Not so close but on the right track in at least one way
3: Fairly close in at least one way
4: Quite close in one or more ways
5: So close you can taste it

If I roll the number mentioned or below the guesser will be spared.

P.S: The number of questions that any player can ask per update is unaffected by this new rule: Current and new players all still get 3 questions per turn.

Also, this probably goes without saying, but only one guess may be made per update for any player.

Questions may be asked by any player in the same turn they attempt a guess and The Lurker will still answer these questions even if the player is no longer with us.

Tabata

Is the betrayer a disembodied being?
Does the betrayer try to get a parasitic connection with its victims?
Does the betrayer need the human body for reproduction?

I'll take care of you soon!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk