The "Black Stories" crime riddles thread

Started by Kumpel, Mon 13/03/2017 23:07:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Kweepa

You forgot to mention that the man was a slow moving psychopath. :-D
(What's with the hour, and the lack of regret?)
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Mandle

Quote from: Kweepa on Thu 30/11/2017 15:40:58

It's a lot of work to drag a dead body around. The TV shows make it look easy but it's not like just pouring a drunk friend into the seat of your car to take them home. There is no cooperation at all and the human body has feet that get stuck around door frames and table legs and...

Actually nevermind all that... What was the second bit again?

janleht

Quote from: Kweepa on Thu 30/11/2017 15:40:58
Maybe he just waited the right moment, when there was nobody on the yard.

Well... you have a point on "lack of regret". Let's say the man was in panic and couldn't think anything else than getting out from the island free. (roll)

The Last To Know

Nice riddle, janleht!
Was fun to solve.
And nice work Mandle for coming up with the chimney idea.

Mandle

Case#54: A Very Silly Riddle

A man was imprisoned in a tiny concrete cubicle deep underground. Inside the cubicle were only a chair and a saw. The man used both in a very silly, and potentially rage-quitting manner for the participants of this riddle, to escape.

What was it that he did?

YES

NO

Kweepa

Did he combine them anagramattically?
Did he cut the chair into tiny pieces?
Did he saw off his own foot?

Cassiebsg

Was there an opening in the cubicle?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

I happen to know this. Or an even sillier version perhaps. It was my favourite page from an old joke book I had as a kid. I'll PM you.

Kweepa

The man 'saw' an exit and propped it open with the chair?

Mandle

A man was imprisoned in a tiny concrete cubicle deep underground. Inside the cubicle were only a chair and a saw. The man used both in a very silly, and potentially rage-quitting manner for the participants of this riddle, to escape.

What was it that he did?

YES

NO
Was there an opening in the cubicle? (Sorry, I forgot to mention that the concrete cubicle was entirely soid and without any exits)
The man 'saw' an exit and propped it open with the chair? (No, but the word-play to find the solution is on track)

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 12/12/2017 21:43:52
I happen to know this. Or an even sillier version perhaps. It was my favourite page from an old joke book I had as a kid. I'll PM you.

Hahaha I never knew this riddle was a real thing. I thought my mate in school had made it up.

He only knew the middle part though it seems. I think maybe once our solvers have escaped the chamber you might be able to run a Part Two round where they have to figure out how to escape from the middle of nowhere...

Riaise

OK, let's do some clarification:

Does the chair exist as an object inside the cubicle?
Does the saw exist as an object inside the cubicle?
Does the word 'saw' relate to the man seeing something?

Cassiebsg

Since the cubicle is perfectly solid and without any exits, he can't really see anything, as there's apparently no light source either... (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Tabata

It reminds me not just on the chain-saw movies but also an AGS-game I played.
Sooo ...

Is the imprisoned man a character in an computer game?
Is the imprisoned man a character in a movie?
Is the imprisoned man a character from literature?

Mandle

What was it that he did?

YES
Is the imprisoned man a character from literature? (Well, he is at least a character from a riddle book Stupot had as a kid so yes!!!)

NO
Was there an opening in the cubicle? (Sorry, I forgot to mention that the concrete cubicle was entirely soid and without any exits)
The man 'saw' an exit and propped it open with the chair? (No, but the word-play to find the solution is on track)
Does the word 'saw' relate to the man seeing something? (No, but I have received a PM from dayowlron who knew the riddle where that word-play was actually a thing: In that riddle it was a table and a mirror. They "saw" themself in the mirror and that's how they got the saw. In another version (Stupot's) there was only a chair. They rubbed their hands together until they were "sore" and that's how they got the saw. Yeah, it's pretty much that level of wordplay to get the solution... (laugh) )

Kumpel

He saw off the ch and reached the "air"?

Mandle

Quote from: Kumpel on Fri 15/12/2017 00:02:21
He saw off the ch and reached the "air"?

NICE!!! But no. It's not a word-play of cutting words in half although that's a nice potential riddle in itself...

Tabata actually solved this in PM as a non-native english speaker who had never heard the riddle before but doesn't want to spoil the fun by just coming right out and solving it.

So I would probably award her the win and ask that if anyone else figured it out without having previous knowledge of the riddle then to just solve it here in the thread for a co-win...

Kweepa

Did he cut something with the saw?
Did he cut the chair with the saw?
Did he sit in the chair?

Mandle

What was it that he did?

YES
Is the imprisoned man a character from literature? (Well, he is at least a character from a riddle book Stupot had as a kid so yes!!!)
Did he cut something with the saw?
Did he cut the chair with the saw?

NO
Does the word 'saw' relate to the man seeing something? (No, but I have received a PM from dayowlron who knew the riddle where that word-play was actually a thing: In that riddle it was a table and a mirror. They "saw" themself in the mirror and that's how they got the saw. In another version (Stupot's) there was only a chair. They rubbed their hands together until they were "sore" and that's how they got the saw. Yeah, it's pretty much that level of wordplay to get the solution... (laugh) )
Did he sit in the chair?

Kweepa

Did he cut the legs off the chair?
Did he cut the back off the chair?
Did he cut the seat off the chair?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk