MUSIC Competition - Theme: LOVE - March 2017

Started by Dualnames, Wed 15/03/2017 13:49:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

What is a Music Competition?

Well, a music competition, is a competition where music composers can compose and release their musical creations to compete for the ultimate priz, acceptance and recognition.
It's meant to be fun, no one should care about winning, but improving their own skill set. Or trying new things. Be creative!

Who is hosting it? And why is this back again?

I'm hosting it, and the reason it's back, is to make it interesting again.

The main problems of the old tune competition, which explained the lack of entries, were:
1) Unclear deadlines.
2) Very strict themes.
3) Very strict rules.

THEME: LOVE
Definition of love

a :
           (1) :  strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties maternal love for a child
           (2) :  attraction based on sexual desire :  affection and tenderness felt by lovers After all these years, they are still very much in love.
           (3) :  affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests love for his old schoolmates
       b :  an assurance of affection give her my love
      a: A warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion love of the sea
      a :  the object of attachment, devotion, or admiration baseball was his first love
      b :
           (1) :  a beloved person :  darling â€"often used as a term of endearment
           (2) : British â€"used as an informal term of address
      a :  unselfish loyal and benevolent (see benevolent 1a) concern for the good of another: such as
                                                                                                                                                             (1) :  the fatherly concern of God for humankind
                                                                                                                                                             (2) :  brotherly concern for others
      b :  a person's adoration of God
      :  A god (such as Cupid or Eros) or personification of love
      :  An amorous episode :  love affair
      :  The sexual embrace :  copulation
      :  A score of zero (as in tennis)
capitalized, Christian Science :  god
[/list]
RULES:

As long as it fits the theme (and that should be fairly broad), you can compose and post from at least one to x songs. You can even make an EP.
For example you can compose a hip-hop beat that samples the world LOVE and makes a pun as you hear a tennis crowd cheering at the end. You can do anything, as long as you can explain (if needed) how it does fit.

No limit on duration:
          -You wanna make 2 bars, make 2 bars.

No limit on genres:
          -Any genre goes, death metal love songs are fine.

No limit on covers:
          - You can cover an older composition of yours or someone else's, as long as the cover is obvious and you are being honest (aka posting the older song)

No limit on file type:
          - MIDIs are fine.
          - OGGs are fine. (Preferably at 320kbps)
          - WAV are fine.
          - FLACs are fine.
          - MP3s are fine. (Preferably at 320kbps CBR or V0 VBR)

For the lossy filetypes (mp3, ogg) above 128 CBR (Constant Bitrate) plz.

Limit on the time deadline.
          -Entries that are delivered late, unless I'm notified before, won't be accepted, unless the entry is delivered within 24 hours after the deadline.

Deadline:

The deadline is till the 30th of April, that is, because on May 1st I'll post another theme, while this competition goes on the voting part. Voting will be public, and can be done by anyone. We'll see more rules about it, when we get there.
There is over a month for this, because I want to get this started and yeah, normally it would take 30 days per theme, but you know, it isn't bad to have extra time.

Workshop:

If you wanna do your entries, workshop style, that's highly advised. Going into detail, explaining your process, and how you work, if you want. No harm in sharing, people can input on that, but please do so in a respectable manner.

TL:DR
Code: ags

Theme is LOVE. 
Compose a song.
Deadline is April 30th.

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ibispi

my entry:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aeilco5m9wajqg0/irecommendlove2d.mp3?dl=0

EDIT: for those that want to play the song from their browser, but the dropbox doesn't play it https://clyp.it/3bsc1ew2

[delete}

Also he's our team's musician!  ;-D  Just saying, since BSP now is getting famous. Well done, Bospi.

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Mandle

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 20/03/2017 15:40:04
My entry!

https://soundcloud.com/ledzepforever/p-r-o-m-i-s-e

I really felt the music going through the stages of love, from not-quite-sure at the start with a feeling of a heart beating fast, and then through an initial crescendo of feelings, and then backing off a bit, and mellowing out towards the end...

I felt you were telling a love story with this piece and it would be awesome paired with a visual montage of a young-to-old couple over the years...

Mandle

Quote from: Ibispi on Sun 19/03/2017 19:00:46
my entry:

Perhaps you could host it on a site like DualNames did?

People might not want to download the music just to hear it...

But I really want to hear it!

Dualnames

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 20/03/2017 16:51:19
Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 20/03/2017 15:40:04
My entry!

https://soundcloud.com/ledzepforever/p-r-o-m-i-s-e

I really felt the music going through the stages of love, from not-quite-sure at the start with a feeling of a heart beating fast, and then through an initial crescendo of feelings, and then backing off a bit, and mellowing out towards the end...

I felt you were telling a love story with this piece and it would be awesome paired with a visual montage of a young-to-old couple over the years...

Awww, thanks Mandle, I have to say this is one of the songs I've enjoyed more composing over the last 2 years. Glad to see you picture it like this. I personally think of a couple running around dancing (old musical of the 60s-70s) and then at the end, one remains on their own and the other person fades away like a memory.

Ibispi

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 20/03/2017 17:08:37
Quote from: Ibispi on Sun 19/03/2017 19:00:46
my entry:

Perhaps you could host it on a site like DualNames did?

People might not want to download the music just to hear it...

But I really want to hear it!

hey Mandle,
sorry about that, it's supposed to be playable from dropbox without downloading but it might not work on all computers.
I also uploaded it on this site https://clyp.it/3bsc1ew2 you don't have to download it there either, hopefully that works  :=

bicilotti

Here is mine: https://clyp.it/rsqitt32

Thanks to ibispi for having uploaded it for me.

Tournk

Reaction is always funny.

Kumpel

Quote from: bicilotti on Mon 20/03/2017 17:53:00
Here is mine: https://clyp.it/rsqitt32

Oh that was very nice :) You've got a really good feeling for harmonic, renaissance-like composing. Thanks for gifting that little gem to us. I would love to hear a more looped version of this in some fairytale-like medival adventure game at some time :)

bicilotti

Quote from: Kumpel on Thu 23/03/2017 13:03:44
Oh that was very nice :) You've got a really good feeling for harmonic, renaissance-like composing. Thanks for gifting that little gem to us. I would love to hear a more looped version of this in some fairytale-like medival adventure game at some time :)

Thanks Kumpel, I am teaching myself some music and decided this competition was a great way to get started.

I liked the entries so far, I hope to see more!

[delete}

Whohooo, bicilotti returned to the AGS forums, finally  :) That's a lovely little chamber melody! Eco would've listened to when the stars coming out, and truth and fiction becoming the same.

Creamy

Great to have the music competition back! A perfect opportunity to try Magix Music Maker (thanks Captain). It's buggy on my laptop but here's my attempt :
Her number on my palm
Basically, this is a collage of pre-recorded tracks with guitar on top.

Each composition sounds quite different :
- Ibispi went for an electronic ambient track with an ethereal feel.
- p-r-o-mi-s-e is mellow, with a distinctive melody and mixed ending.
- It seems to me that the Viola and Oboe could represent two lovers. A straightforward piece with nice harmonies.

dactylopus

Really good stuff, guys!  I'd love to participate, we'll see if I have time.  Not that I think I could top any of these, but I do find these competitions to be fun, and they stir my creative juices.

Dualnames

I really like the diversity of everything posted so far. Very different approaches to well, a very open-ended theme, but I'm glad to see every one of them. <3 so far. When we get to voting, I'll gladly share my thoughts on them. But I'm loving them all so far!

[delete}

Nice, Ogon. The enchanted sound of the Schwarzwald. I could almost see the fairies romantically waltzing with the bees on a forest meadow.
In German, there's even a saying: Im dichten Fichtendickicht tanzen die Feen tüchtig.

Ogon

@Embla: I'd prefer not to receive comments from you, as you should know. (or interact at all)

Sorry to everyone else, I really don't mind comments at all if you have any.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk