Movie Suggestions?

Started by Guybrush Nosehair, Fri 28/01/2011 04:01:22

Previous topic - Next topic

RetroJay

Hi.

Ok. I know you said that you would like other movie sugestions without Haley Joel Osment in them but...
I really like the film 'The sixth sense' with Haley and Bruce willis.

Also. Another Bruce willis film 'Mercury rising' is a good one. I can't remember the child actors name but he plays the part of Simon who is a nine year old autistic boy who cracks a government code and finds himself needing Mr Willis's protection.

Hope you enjoy.
Jay.

Chicky

Child actor? Adult audience? That's as far as i got, try Hard Candy.

RetroJay

Another one is 'Stir Of Echoes'.

A film starring Kevin Bacon. The child actor is Zachary David Cope.
His character is the one who communicates with the deceased girl throughout the film.

Sorry. I am a dark minded bastard and enjoy dark films. ;D

Jay.

EDIT: Another one is 'Scary Movie 3'. The child actor in that makes me piss my pants with laughter!

Guybrush Nosehair

Quote from: tzachs on Thu 03/02/2011 18:11:32
Dude, I must say that this:
Quote from: grim107 on Fri 28/01/2011 04:01:22
Mostly, I'd like to see sentimental movies with child actors, but aimed towards an adult audience.
sounds a bit creepy on first reading...  ;)

Anyways, I'd like to second Lord Of The Flies, I remember seeing it as a teenager, and getting the shock of my life.
It's been a long time so I hope my memory doesn't fail me, but I remember it as a really thought provoking movie.

I knew it was only a matter of time until someone pointed that out. Frankly, I'd reword it, but can't think of a good way to do so. Any help in rewording is appreciated!

Which Lord of the Flies are we talking about? I've come across two different versions. The more famous one was made some time in the 90's, but seems to suffer from poor reviews. The lesser known one was (I believe) made in the 70's. It got much better reviews. I've been given this suggestion many times now, so I think I'm going to watch it.

Guybrush Nosehair

Quote from: RetroJay on Thu 03/02/2011 23:03:27
Hi.

Ok. I know you said that you would like other movie sugestions without Haley Joel Osment in them but...
I really like the film 'The sixth sense' with Haley and Bruce willis.

Also. Another Bruce willis film 'Mercury rising' is a good one. I can't remember the child actors name but he plays the part of Simon who is a nine year old autistic boy who cracks a government code and finds himself needing Mr Willis's protection.

Hope you enjoy.
Jay.

I saw the The Sixth Sense. It's pretty good (and it rightfully shot Haley Joel Osment into stardom). I came across reviews of Mercury Rising a few days ago, but it suffered from poor reviews. I think I'm going to skip on that one.
Quote from: Chicky on Fri 04/02/2011 00:51:27
Child actor? Adult audience? That's as far as i got, try Hard Candy.

Appropriate suggestion, considering I may have come off as a little creepy. I really need to reword that part."  ;D

Stupot

Might I recommend "Toy Soldiers" if you haven't already seen it.  It has Sean Astin (Goonies) and Will Wheadon (Stand by me), albeit slightly more grown up that most of the films in this thread... but nevertheless, a ripping yarn.

Guybrush Nosehair

It's been a month since the last post, so I figured I'd start this topic up again. Since my last post, I've watched Where the Wild Things Are, Lord of the Flies (1990), Kramer vs. Kramer, and Empire of the Sun.

Where the Wild Things Are was somewhat disappointing. Max Records, the main actor, did a fine job with what he was given. However, he was just too old for the role. It was kind of a lose-lose situation for the filmmakers. The main character called for a young child, but finding someone much younger than Records who could act well would have been a near impossible task. This had Records acting younger than he clearly was. Furthermore, the movie just wasn't entirely well-written. Finally, although this is something that I've never complained about before, all of the indie-music really bothered me. They tried to fit in a song at every chance they had. None of the songs were particularly good.

Lord of the Flies was good. I have no real complaints except for Danuel Pipoly, the actor who played Piggy. He has to be one of the worst actors I've EVER seen! It's no wonder his career never took off. Everything else about it was pretty good.

I most recently watched Empire of the Sun. I have to say that it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Christian Bale did an amazing job with his acting. The movie had a great storyline. Furthermore, it took me on a complete emotional journey. I don't think the ending could have been much better than it was.

Kramer vs. Kramer was also a great movie. Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep both did a good job. I was very impressed with Justin Henry. He was only eight at the time, and had no previous acting experience, but he did a great job.

I began watching The Bicycle Thieves last night, but fell asleep about 30 minutes into it (I was really tired.) It seemed like an interesting movie, so I'm going to finish the movie some time.

I also plan to watch the 400 Blows some time soon.

As always I'm still open to suggestions.

milkanannan

A few favs:

Spirited Away (I don't usually dig anime, but I LOVED this movie!)
Lost In Translation
The Room (yes - so unbelievably bad it's good! I wish Tommy Wisseau would make another film)
Indie Game (awesome documentary)
Dazed and Confused
IT (the old one - haven't seen the remake)
Wall Street
Clerks

Cassiebsg

Kids in drama movies... just about the main reason I often get my self stuck watching a movie before that I previously had no plan to watch... (roll)

Here's a few that come to mind (sorry if any have been mentioned/watched before).

The Champ (1979): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078950/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1
Billy Elliot (2000): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0249462/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_9
A Perfect World (1993): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107808/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

I'll post more if they come to mind.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

Wow. This thread is old.

Danvzare

While I probably shouldn't be contributing to this necroposting. I'm going to anyway. (laugh)

Quote from: manifest class on Sun 17/09/2017 18:05:02
Spirited Away (I don't usually dig anime, but I LOVED this movie!)
If you liked Spirited Away, you should watch the other films by Studio Ghibli. They're like the Japanese version of Walt Disney with how many great animated films they've made. (By the way, once you've watched them all, you're quickly realise that Spirited Away is mediocre at best. And I think that, even with the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia.)
The best one so far I think is Grave of the Fireflies. A word of caution though, that film WILL MAKE YOU CRY! It's the best film they've made in my opinion, but I certainly would never watch it again.

I highly recommend almost all of their films. Rather than list the films I do recommend, I think it'll be much quicker to list the films I don't:
Only Yesterday
The Cat Returns
Tales from Earthsea.

As for the rest of the films by Studio Ghibli, I recommend them wholeheartedly.

milkanannan

I was going to start a new thread but this one already had a good roll going and why not keep all earlier movie suggestions grouped with any new ones? ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk