Speech files get cut off ingame

Started by Kumpel, Wed 22/03/2017 02:57:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Kumpel

I don't really understand the reason for this problem, but the game somehow cuts of the last few miliseconds of several of my autonumbered speech files that are played without problems in the editor's audio test window.

I already tried the command "Speech.DisplayPostTimeMs" because I thought the display time is just not enough for some files, but this seems to affect only the displayed text if it isn't linked to a speech file that the engine is playing.

Do I have to add some miliseconds of silence after every speech file now or is it a game setup configuration problem on my end or maybe even a sound driver software/hardware thing?

Cheers
Kumpel

Crimson Wizard

If it is OGG, than this is a known issue in AGS, it was reported before (many times), for example:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=50884.msg636496064#msg636496064
...and my attempts to improve it:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=50884.msg636499522#msg636499522

As far as I remember, I managed to achieve better results, but was not able to find 100% fix (see the last post in that branch). My conclusion was that it is the bug in the alogg library that serves an intermediate between AGS and OGG/Vorbis.

Slasher

I too have had this trouble in the past.

I imported the problem audio file into my audio software editor (Audacity).. checked if it played ok and amended if required then exported it back into the Speech folder and it worked ok... the format was .ogg

As Crimson say: He is aware of audio issues and this is but one of them that can occur.

Kumpel

No, sorry for the missing relevant information. I am using mp3s (22400mhz, 64bit/s, fixed bitrate mode) converted from wavs in audacity.
The length of the files seems to be irrelevant and it's always only the last one or two letters or syllables of the last word.

My guess is: the game cuts at every file a few milisecs (my tests showed a cut off area of about 0,2 to 0,25secs) of speech but only those with too little silnce are affected.
Adding silence to a few test files that had nearly no or not at all silence at the end solved the problem.. Not that hard to add  that silence on every file with batch processing in audacity.

But is this a common bug or has anyone an explanation for that?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Kumpel on Wed 22/03/2017 12:10:05
No, sorry for the missing relevant information. I am using mp3s (22400mhz, 64bit/s, fixed bitrate mode) converted from wavs in audacity.
<...>
Any other ideas? Would adding silence work? Not that hard to do with batch processing in audacity.

That could be relevant for mp3 too, because there is a similar library layer for mp3 (maybe even by same author).
I recall people solved this by adding bit of silence to the end.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk