Blender CG cutscene movie for my BSG game (suggestions?)

Started by Cassiebsg, Wed 22/03/2017 17:09:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

Hey all... after a lot of headache, this is currently the best I could do, and what I will be using (I need to start adding a "done" to things and move on even if they're not perfect).

Anyway, I know there's a glitch at 1:13, and the last frame is ending "empty". I have already fixed it in the final version.
This is currently as it looks (minus the bad low quality YouTube insists in adding) in game:

[embed=1024,576]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPGhktSvpuc[/embed]

Think I'll add some more text after the Galactica comes on screen, for "Special Guests" or "Featuring the voices of..." :D

Anyway, thanks all for your help!
Oh and feel free to add more criticism, I may not do anything more with this video, but I'll take any help I get into the next. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CaptainD

I've already commented on your other thread but wanted to add that Eric's music score is majestic!

If you wanted to go really old school corny, you could have each character#s face come up with their name and the person voicing them, zooming on-screen and then off again.  :grin:

Cassiebsg

Yes, that was part of the original plan, but decided I needed to simplify, or risk never to finish this.  (roll)
So, think I'll just add some text for this one and leave the option open for the future.  (laugh)

EDIT:

Last but not least...
[embed=1024,576]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCDOY4fHcmU[/embed]

Ali

I love seeing 3D stuff on these forums! Please do more! It may be too late for feedback but here are some thoughts:

The first ship model looks great - lots of detail. By comparison others look a bit smooth and plastic-y.

When the camera moves, the stars stay completely static - even when it's panning. This isn't realistic and the result is, when the camera pans it means the big ship looks like a 2D render sliding out of frame. This also means there's no sense of movement in the middle of the shot. You could try using a spherical sky texture.

It's hard to show an object moving though empty space, so you can use depth to create more dynamic movement - have the shuttle fly closer to the camera, towards and away from.

The trickiest thing - and this is something lots of 3D VFX fails to achieve - is a sense of scale. Because the shuttle moves fast, and the viewer has no frame of reference, it looks small. The BSG reboot's solution was to use documentary style operating - the cameras would whip around and crash zoom. Sometimes they'd nearly miss the shot they were trying to get - like a human operator would if they were trying to follow something huge moving fast. The Star Trek solution is to make their miniature shots very slow and grand - the slow movement of the camera helps imply the relative size of the vessels.

Cassiebsg

Thanks for the feedback Ali, I'll keep it in mind for the future.  (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk