Neofeud

Started by SilverSpook, Sat 25/03/2017 19:30:36

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverSpook

Thanks everybody who voted for Neofeud in IndieDB! Neofeud made it to the Top 100 Indie Games Of 2017 (Apparently out of over 10,000). We'll see if we beat Cuphead! (Not likely but one can hope!

"A Diamond Of Storytelling In The Scrap Pile... The characters of Neofeud are developed so much more than characters in nearly any other game I've recently played" --Sprites And Dice

"'Cyberpunk-Fueled Noir.' Reminiscent of Beneath a Steel Sky and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream... The art, gameplay, music and story come together to deliver a solid game." --Indie Ranger

“An ambitious, atmospheric cyberpunk scenario and essentially the work of a single person (voice acting excluded). Oh, and it might also be one of the best adventure games I have played in a while... The world building is something else. It has a thickness, a density to it." --IndieGames.com

"An immersive cyberpunk adventure game... Echoes of H.R. Giger and William Gibson... [Christian Miller] knows what makes a quality game." --Brandon C. Hovey

"I loved the quirky but fantastic hand-painted visuals, the gruff, cynical humour." --Gaming Respawn

Get Neofeud on Steam!

Get Neofeud on Itch.io!

4/17 - You can also vote for Neofeud on GOG!

Or get Neofeud on Gamejolt.

Synopsis

2033 - We create AI. Sentient robots arrive, but not as our Terminator overlords or our Singularity saviors -- conscious machines are humanity's unwanted bastard children. A few are geniuses who design flying cars, beat cancer, invent teleportation, but millions of defective prototypes roll out of factories -- mentally challenged, motivationally-challenged, criminally-inclined. Legally conscious, but unhirable, these "Defectives" are shuffled through public housing and welfare assistance, straining the already overburdened back of the meager social safety net. The robots who don't end up in prison are dumped, as a last resort, into a massive landfill known as "The Pile".

Humans engage in perfection of their species -- or at least the powerful and well-connected -- genetically engineering children with human and animal DNA. The failed eugenics experiment "Frankenpeople" are discarded into "The Pile" as well. The new dynasties, 'Neofeudal Lords', live in towering neon glass castles, shuttle around in pristine nanotech-enabled pods, minds and bodies full of cyberware, spending most of their time taking selfies and "optimizing their monetization schemes". A race of supermen concerned only with their own status, their prestige, their success. Where machines have become all too flawed and human, people have become flawless, perfect, cold machines.

Karl Carbon is an ex-cop, dishonorably discharged from Coastlandia PD for disobeying an order to shoot an unarmed sentient humanoid. Karl is exiled to "The Pile" as a lowly social worker. There he counsels gangbanging foster-kid robots and confiscates chimera-children from deadbeat half-wolf parents. Till one day a case goes horribly sideways and Karl is drawn into a sordid conspiracy that could threaten the strained fabric of Human-Robot-Hybrid civilization -- or save it.

QuoteA Diamond Of Storytelling In The Scrap Pile

"When I play a game, I play to be compelled or immersed in some way. The game has to dig its claws in and drag me in. Walking away has to be difficult or that's exactly what I'll do. Neofeud grabbed me in just that way through its gripping mastery of storytelling, akin to how last I binged on episodes of Game of Thrones.

Neofeud is a point-and-click game set in a sci-fi dystopia borne of the minds of every prominent science fiction writer from the past century, from H.R. Giger to Ridley Scott. The result is a disturbing yet strangly familiar dystopian society in which social inequality is systemic, the top one percent have their own one percent, and the birth of A.I has resulted in a massive population of unemployed sentient robots. Sound interesting? We're only just dipping our toes.

Beginning by introducing the main character of the story, an ex-cop and currently social worker named Karl Carbon, the story of Neofeud quickly explodes into a story rife with pseudoscience and more twists than an M. Night Shamylan movie. As a single conspiracy unfolds, others follow, creating a story layered so deep that by the halfway mark of Neofeud's potential 15-hour game time I found myself questioning characters motives even more than the main character of the game itself.

Past endless conspiracies and a spiraling story, the characters of Neofeud are developed so much more than characters in nearly any other game I've recently played. Karl and the cast that he interacts with are human to a tee. Interactions with them are immersive and real, a necessity when a majority of the game is dialogue."

Sprites And Dice

Quote"This is an ambitious, atmospheric cyberpunk scenario and essentially the work of a single person (voice acting excluded). Oh, and it might also be one of the best adventure games I have played in a while, so there's that."
Granted, a lot of this is "just" good cyberpunk in the vein of Gibson, Dick, and Stephenson. However, the world building is something else. It has a thickness, a density to it. Almost every line of the game's technobabble fleshes out the game world some more. If that's your thing, the game is immensely enjoyable."

Indie Games

Quote"I did not know what to expect going into Neofeud, but I came out excited to see what's next for Silver Spook Games. The game has more than the surface indicates, which I loved. It offers social commentary, much like its many influences, but successfully stands on its own.
In the end, the art, gameplay, music and story come together to deliver a solid game. Check it out if you are looking for something different and cerebral."

Indie Ranger

FEATURE TIME
- Tricky yet satisfying, point-n-click detective work, interspersed with action shootouts.
- Handpainted, uber-gritty, noir futureland. Makes Mad Max and Rick Deckard crap their pants.  1366x768 resolution for MASSIVE, fully realized backgrounds.
- Endless bombardment of witty one-liners from a veteran hardboiled cyberpunk writer.
- An original world and story that will (hopefully) make you question some of your core beliefs. Or at least my sanity.

Silver Spook Games

Patreon Site

Facebook

Twitter

Itch.io Store

[embed=1020,630]http://youtu.be/wVxUMWqIGIg[/embed]

In addition, if you're more of a bookworm type, Neofeud - The Original Script is now available on Lulu for four bucks. :)

Blondbraid

Congratulations big time on your release! 8-0 ;-D
This is so awesome finally seeing your game out there!

SilverSpook

Thanks!  I couldn't have done it without your support, Blondbraid, and the support of the rest of this awesome AGS community.  :)

Crossing my fingers now that it runs smoothly on everyone's machine.  If anyone wants a Linux version I can look into that.  (If we want a Mac version... we'll see how well the PC version does and maybe I'll hire someone to convert it for Mac!)

Mandle

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS ON THE RELEASE!!!

The screenshots go way beyond anything I experienced as an early tester and it really looks like the game grew into something amazing!

Can't wait to check it out at some point!

Must be an amzing feeling to have cut the umbilical!

Dave Gilbert

Congrats, sir! Best of luck with the release. :)

CrashPL

This looks amazing! Huge congratulations on the release. It's been a wild ride, but you're finally here - that's a great achievement for any game dev for sure. :)
I definitely need to get this on the next payday. :D

SilverSpook

@Mandle: Thank you!  And you get a special thanks for your testing and advice, especially so early in the "game". ;)

@Dave Gilbert: Thank *you*, sir, for making games that brought me around to using AGS.  And can't wait to play Unavowed!

@CrashPL: Getting Neofeud out has been a Odyssey, no doubt, in the best and worst senses of the word, but it is amazing to be finished!  I am getting game-dev withdrawals already, in fact!  I do hope that you enjoy the game when you get paid. :)

Mandle

Holy crap! I just watched the trailer finally and it is AMAZING!!!

The music is breathtaking and the voice acting is really, really good!

And that last scene with the huge battle: WOW!

In fact everything is just: WOW!

NickyNyce

Congrats on the release. The story sounds very interesting and the pics all look great. Now go get some sun and try to blend back in with the population.

Neofeud here I come!

CaptainD

Congratulations on the release, quite an accomplishment!

Bavolis

Congrats! I remember seeing this one as a first screenshot up for critique, so it's very cool to see it now with a launch trailer.

LuciferSam86

I am playing right now and this game it's pretty awesome (and I love the soundtrack)
I had a little problem with the download link you give but I solved with some "wget -c $really_long_url"

One last thing: I tried to download the game with the itch.io client but it didn't worked: is normal?
God is Real, unless declared Integer

SilverSpook

Thanks all for your kind words!  I am just glad that folks are enjoying the game, because I had a good (if sometimes stressful) time making it!

@merlin86:  Sorry about the URL problem, I will look into that... What operating system and type of computer are you using, by chance?  I have not tried downloading through the Itch.io client myself, but I will look into that as well.  I know there is an issue downloading the game using Firefox.

Oh also!  If you want to have the soundtrack to listen to outside the game, it's over here: https://silverspook.bandcamp.com/ :)

EDIT: Would anyone be interested in testing a Linux version of Neofeud?  Are there many Linux AGS users out there?  Let me know!

LuciferSam86

So, I tried downloading with:
- Linux
Firefox and Chromium and since I have some unstable connection (I guess) it got terminated before the full download.

- Windows
only with Chrome since Firefox won't donwload the file and same problem with downloading file

strange thing: downloading starbound from humblebundle did not get stuck, I downloaded it without problems...

i tried to disable the trafic shaper on my alix with no luck, and wget got stucked a couple of times but luckily the -c switch saved the day :)

SilverSpook

Ok, thanks very much, merlin86!  I have just added an alternate download to the Itch.io site, if you could just do a test and see if it downloads at all that would be great.  Don't have to download the whole thing, maybe just see if it at least starts up.

I'm working with the Itch.io staff to try to get the Neofeud to work with the Itch.io app right now.

LuciferSam86

Quote from: SilverSpook on Wed 29/03/2017 23:24:38
Ok, thanks very much, merlin86!  I have just added an alternate download to the Itch.io site, if you could just do a test and see if it downloads at all that would be great.  Don't have to download the whole thing, maybe just see if it at least starts up.

I'm working with the Itch.io staff to try to get the Neofeud to work with the Itch.io app right now.

No problem . I will try asap :)

LuciferSam86

One last thing: I found a bug, but I forgot to save before. Tomorrow (here in italy it's pretty late , 1:04 am) i will get back to the part so I can get the error and I will pm you.
Good night (at least for me :D )

Creamy

Bravo Silverspook! Next game on my toplay list  ;)

SilverSpook

Thanks, Merlin, for all your help!

@Creamy:  Hey man!  Hope everything has gone well for you since Dislocation.  I do hope you enjoy Neofeud. :)

EDIT: Neofeud is now on Steam Greenlight!  We need your votes!

Blondbraid

Yay, I hope this game will be available on Steam soon, already voted and shared on Facebook!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk