Sprite Jam (April 5th-April 26th) Travelling!

Started by Scavenger, Wed 05/04/2017 14:10:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Scavenger

For this sprite jam, you've been given the following challenge:

• You must create a sprite of a protagonist who is LOST, TRAVELLING, or somehow OUT OF THEIR NATIVE ENVIRONMENT, in addition to their TRANSPORTATION or ONE INVENTORY ITEM they would have on them. Please explain HOW they are lost, travelling and so on, so we know the character's motivation!
  • These sprites MUST be AGS-ready - no concept art.
  • As an additional challenge, you are limited to a screen size of either 320x200 or 640x400. Try to keep your sprites workable within this canvas! No colour limitations this time, just size!

As a reward, I have created these trophies for you:

Every entry will recieve a Jade Bindle, at least.
3rd Place will recieve a Bronze Luggage.
2nd Place will recieve a Silver Map.
1st Place will recieve a Golden Sherpa - a necessary companion for dangerous treks!

The deadline for this jam is April 1926th, which should give everyone a good two weeks to finish their entries!

DBoyWheeler

I'm in.  And once again, I decided to keep it simple (because I'm not sure if I can do a character right now).  I made a "Magic Compass" for the protagonist to use to get to his/her next objective (not just the Triforce--ha ha I tell bad joke).  So, yeah, an inventory item for the traveler.  May be simple, but oh so vital for a traveler!  And even better if magical, am I right?

[delete}

Twinsen and Dinofly from Little Big Adventure (640x480):

Since this is my last edited post:

This is me, briefly before my final journey begins... I'm holding a wooden copy of the precious cross of Coronado, the one which Dr. Henry Jones finds in Indiana Jones and the Seven Cities of Gold.

CaesarCub

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/QQCFqs1.png[/imgzoom]

This is Steve.
Steve is a transdimensional tourist. He uses his portal gun to visit new and exciting places.
Sadly, he did not read or bring the user's manual with himself, so he is unable to go back to his own dimension.
Despite being lost, he just wanders around taking pictures of the multiverse with his trusty camera.

The wooden pet (that is most definitely not called luggage because of copyright issues) started following him after the visited a lesser dimension, it has a nasty habit of "eating" items from other people.
The first of those items is a towel, stolen from an interstellar hitchhiker.
The second stolen item is some sort of "Magic Compass", that always shows the next objective the wielder is meant to reach.
The third stolen item is a teddy bear, the less said about stealing toys from a child the better.
The fourth item is a medallion, it used to belong to a mysterious traveller that would phase in and out of reality.
The fifth item is a slightly chewed fish. Still alive and swimming inside the chest somehow.
Then we have a broken concertina, stolen from a stranded buccaneer.

[Just as a side note, the entry is the tourist and the gun, the rest is me having fun].

Gurok

Awesome compass, DBoyWheeler! I'd love to see who's carrying that golden trinket!

Also, nice tourist, CaesarCub.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

DBoyWheeler

@CaesarCub Yeah, I can SO see the "inspiration" for said character.  Maybe he could use the Magic Compass I provided.

@Gurok Thanks for the kudos, friend.

CaesarCub

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Thu 06/04/2017 11:31:01
@CaesarCub Yeah, I can SO see the "inspiration" for said character.  Maybe he could use the Magic Compass I provided.

I couldn't resist the temptation, so the chest is nabbing your compass for itself   :-D

Mandle

Quote from: CaesarCub on Thu 06/04/2017 12:35:52
I couldn't resist the temptation, so the chest is nabbing your compass for itself   :-D

Oh crap! This chest is going to devour everyone else's sprites!

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: CaesarCub on Thu 06/04/2017 12:35:52

ROFL!  Oh man!  Fun!  So not only can others submit their entries for this competition, but also provide you with fuel for a little bit of humor to spice up said Sprite Jam too!

blur

This little traveller looks a bit sleepy and puzzled about where in time and space she is.

This is her only inventory item but oddly, she says it is her companion.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: blur on Tue 18/04/2017 23:51:47
This little traveller looks a bit sleepy and puzzled about where in time and space she is.

This is her only inventory item but oddly, she says it is her companion.

Awwwwwwww!  So much cute!  Maybe she might meet Pajama Sam, or one of the other "kiddie adventure game" characters.

Scavenger

Since we didn't get very many entries, would anyone care for an extension on this?

Blondbraid

Quote from: Scavenger on Thu 20/04/2017 19:46:32
Since we didn't get very many entries, would anyone care for an extension on this?
I totally forgot about the sprite jam! I'll try and come up with something soon!

[delete}

Twinsen and Dinofly from Little Big Adventure (1995) (640x480)

jwalt

An entry, but doesn't really meet much of the stated criteria. Skippy, the Mud Skipper, taking his pet for a walk.

[imgzoom]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/jwalt10705/skippy1_zpshjjuyxx3.gif[/imgzoom]

Or, maybe it's just his lunch.

Modeled in Anim8or. Gif file made with GIMP.

Blondbraid

The last words his captain said to him before Pedro the pirate became marooned on an island was
"Goddammit Pedro, if you play that damn song on that damn accordion one more time,
I'll have you marooned on the next damn island!"

The captain also left the accordion on the island.

Scavenger

Alright! Let's get to voting!

Our hapless travellers are:

Blondbraid

Jwalt

blur

CaesarCub

DBoyWheeler

Unfortunately Amy and Embla both seem to be lost, so I'm afraid you can't vote for them.

Which one of these travellers deserves to win? Cast your votes for the first, second and third place now!

DBoyWheeler

dactylopus

Blondbraid

CaesarCub

Blondbraid
blur
Jwalt

(It's a shame is missing, because I really liked Amy's).

Tabata

some cool entries 

my voting:
CaesarCub
Blondbraid
blur

Riaise

1st: CaesarCub
2nd: Blondbraid
3rd: blur

I'm not copying, honest! (laugh)

DBoyWheeler

cat

selmiak

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Scavenger

Alright, tallying up all the votes, I can announce that:

1st Place - CaesarCub!
2nd Place - Blondbraid!
3rd Place - blur!

But also congratulations to Jwalt and DBoyWheeler for their fine entries as well!

Take it away, CaesarCub! I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!

CaesarCub

Thanks a lot :D

I'm working on it already, so expect the Sprite Jam to start soon.

Scavenger: Please gimme a non zoomed version of my trophy, so I can add it to my collection :D

Danvzare

Scavenger

Here are the cropped and 1x size trophies for your signatures! Enjoy!

Danvzare

Oops, I just realised I voted after voting had closed. :-[

blur

Thank you my dear voters! I made third place although I just joined as there where only two entries just a short time before the deadline and I wanted to enter something so that there were enough entries.
Thank you for hosting this Sprite Jam and for providing these nice trophies! I will wear it proudly! ;-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk