How to avoid "mixed resolution" effect with scaling sprites?

Started by daniel, Fri 07/04/2017 13:49:31

Previous topic - Next topic

daniel

Hey guys,

I'm just starting out with AGS and built a small test scene following the tutorials provided. So far so good.
The only thing I can't seem to figure out right now is how to avoid the "mixed resolution" effect when characters scale to a smaller size.
It seems to me the game is scaling to the final resolution before rendering...?
I tried setting up the game to be 320x200 and after building the exe I set the options to use "native game resolution" and "stretch to fullscreen".
However what's happening is:

1. my monitor switches resolution (to 640x480 I believe)...happens on both my PC screen (1920x1200) and TV (1920x1080)
2. the scaled characters' pixels are still noticeably smaller than those of the background (about 1/4, which coincides with my guess of the screen switching to 640x480)

What I believe should be happening is:

1. The screen stays at it's native resolution (i.e. 1920x1080)
2. After rendering the game in it's native resolution (320x200) the engine should upscale the graphics to the screen's resolution

What am I missing? Is it even possible to use character scaling without that "mixed resolution" effect occurring at the moment?

thanks!
daniel

CaptainD

From WinSetUp, I think it you're using Direct Draw it will show lower-res figures appropriate to the backgrounds, but if you use Direct 3D it will scale the sprites at the resolution of the current game resolution.  At least this seemed to be the case with one of my games. 

NicolaGs

If you want to stick to the stable version of AGS, do as CaptainD told you : switch to DirectDraw in Winsetup.
If you want to test the latest beta version, this behaviour affecting Direct3D, as CaptainD  said, has been modified. From now on, you can choose to display the characters at game native resolution or at screen resolution.
My first game : I Want Out!

Crimson Wizard

This is fixed in upcoming AGS 3.4.1 where you will have an option in both General Settings and winsetup to switch this effect on and off (off by default).

Since you are just starting, you may tolerate it for a while, or simply use DirectDraw renderer for now (if it works for you).
I suppose that (relatively) stable 3.4.1 version may be complete later this month.

daniel

awesome, thanks for the quick replies guys!:)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk