Sea Monster X (An Almost Complete Game!!!)

Started by helpessfool, Sun 09/04/2017 18:59:24

Previous topic - Next topic

helpessfool

So I've been working on Sea Monster X by myself for quite awhile. Only a few people have played it. I'm not really sure if it's any good. The idea behind the game was for it to be like a long episode of a show like Gravity Falls that you could actually play. The puzzles are supposed to be fairly simple and intuitive, though one near the end might be a bit too convoluted. We'll find out if you play the game, I guess.

Sea Monster X is basically finished, except for any bugs/mistakes/typos I might've missed (and I'm sure those exist). I would like to add a little more content, but first I want to see if I even have something enjoyable on my hands. Otherwise maybe I'll cut my losses and stick with what I already made, which again... is essentially a complete game.

OK, I'd say it's 90% complete in all aspects.

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/LzfXE6P.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/FGJMSh9.png[/imgzoom]

DOWNLOAD: https://ufile.io/8bc48

Darth Mandarb

Please review the forum rules and update your post accordingly.

helpessfool

I'm sorry. I messed up. I'm not going to have access to an actual PC for a few days so I won't be able to add screen shots until then. You can delete this topic. I shouldn't have wasted anyone's time.

Slasher

I had a quick play of the first bit..

* Mouse image cursors could do with being bigger and look more like they are supposed to be.
* The player walks to slow.
* The fog could be well improved.

But it's in production...so just keep working on it.. (nod)

Mandle

Quote from: slasher on Mon 10/04/2017 06:50:46

* Mouse image cursors could do with being bigger and look more like they are supposed to be.

Maybe you could provide a few screenshots and post them? It seems the game author is not able to at the moment.

Gurok

[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Slasher

Video PM'd

[embed=700,450]http://youtu.be/IY3eyWzjZeY[/embed]

helpessfool

Quote from: slasher on Mon 10/04/2017 06:50:46

Thanks for the feedback slasher and many thanks for the screenshots Gurok!

Looks like I'll have to increase the walking speed. That's a common complaint already. I like the idea of having a character have a realistic  walk speed (after all walking sucks for getting around in real life, hence cars), but it annoys players. You're basically running or speed walking in most games. At least it keeps our protagonists fit!

Snarky

Off topic, but the walk speed shown in the video isn't really realistic, because your character is taking tiny steps. A man's stride length is typically almost 90% of his height. Admittedly that's on flat, solid ground â€" it might be less in desert sand.

CaptainD

@Snarky - Really?  I would have thought it was more like 40% (for walking).
@helpessfool - congrats on making your first game!

Mandle

The game looks great from what I've seen and I can't wait to play it later this month when I have the time!

Congratz on making it to an actual releasable game, and best of luck with improving it if you see fit!

EDIT: And yeah, the fog effects need a bit of work: Just draw some clouds of fog, make the objects semi-transparent like you already have, and move them left and right, and it should look sweet!

helpessfool

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 10/04/2017 13:21:41
Off topic, but the walk speed shown in the video isn't really realistic, because your character is taking tiny steps. A man's stride length is typically almost 90% of his height. Admittedly that's on flat, solid ground â€" it might be less in desert sand.

OK... you got me. My character's animations are far from realistic, hehe. I just wanted to capture that walking is a really slow way to travel. I always enjoyed waiting for Guybrush Threepwood to amble his way across the screen. It always felt right.

I'm not trying to be defensive here. Just kinda stating my view. I definitely appreciate the feedback.

Mandle: Thanks for the compliment. When you say draw the fog, what do you mean? Like more detailed?

Gilbert

I think he meant the large rectangles do not look so good as fog, so you may just put in large semi-transparent clouds (with shape similar to those clouds in the sky) to be used as fog instead.

It is not the Critics' Lounge here though, and I think our dear moderator may warn us of being off-topic if we continue here. So if you want more comments on your game (especially related to art) you may as well start another thread there.

Anyway, congratulations! Your game already seems to be much better than most "1st projects" here.

Slasher

Just an example

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x423/qikfire/FOGGY_zpszgct9syp.png

Gilbert may be right....

edit by Darth - non-game image changed to link.

Darth Mandarb

Yeah, it's getting a little too Critics Loungey in here!

Let's reel it in just a bit!

helpessfool

Thanks again for the comments everybody. I actually liked the "Critics' Lounge" vibe. I need all the help I can get.

Anyway, now for a small update... I made a web site for the game. The game is essentially in the "release candidate" stage now, and I added an installer, did bug/typo fixes and all that fun jazz. I also made some changes to the fog - such as adding motion - but it's still a bunch of rectangles. It's an essential part of the game's Atari aesthetic for me. I could be making a mistake, but I'll live with that.

The site still needs a Youtube video. Hopefully I can knock that out this weekend.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk