AGS 3.4.1 - RC 3 (new release candidate)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 09/04/2017 22:02:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Radiant on Fri 06/10/2017 22:00:56
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 06/10/2017 21:09:40
Make sure you're using Default Setup panel in the editor, not winsetup. Winsetup writes config to user profile, not game directory.

So 'default setup' is what winsetup used to do, and the new winsetup is something else?

Well... I guess you may put it that way too. It's just that acsetup.cfg that Winsetup saves is now located in user directory.

I had to add Default Setup page into editor because of that, so that you could generate default acsetup.cfg for you game. Otherwise you'd have to copy it from saved games.

The current config system and file locations are explained in the OPTIONS.md in our repository, here's the excrept:
Three configuration files are supported by the engine, which are read in the order listed below, every next overriding previous one:

* Default config file, found in the game's installation directory, applied for the game loaded from that directory;
* Current user's global config file, applied for any AGS game.
* Current user's game config file, applied for only game of given title. This config file is also the one being written to when the engine or setup application (Windows only) modifies game configuration.
Locations of two latter files differ between running platforms:

Linux:
* user's global config: $XDG_DATA_HOME/ags/acsetup.cfg
* user's game config: $XDG_DATA_HOME/ags/GAMENAME/acsetup.cfg
NOTE: if $XDG_DATA_HOME is not defined, then "$HOME/.local/share" is used instead.
Windows:
* user's global config: %USERPROFILE%/Saved Games/.ags/acsetup.cfg
* user's game config: %USERPROFILE%/Saved Games/GAMENAME/acsetup.cfg

Note, the "global config" was asked by Linux users, IDK if it is useful for Windows users; personally I use it to set up config for debugging purposes. There is also no way at the moment to generate it using GUI, you have to make one by hand.

eri0o

Hey @Crimson Wizard, in this new build, changing to openGL makes the Scaling Filter empty for me and it crashes when I click on the dropdown button of Scaling Filter. Granted I run AGS on Wine, but this is my first crash of it on Wine. :O

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: eri0o on Sat 07/10/2017 02:47:34
Hey @Crimson Wizard, in this new build, changing to openGL makes the Scaling Filter empty for me and it crashes when I click on the dropdown button of Scaling Filter. Granted I run AGS on Wine, but this is my first crash of it on Wine. :O

Completely forgot about filter selection. Well, I will fix this tomorrow then.

Radiant

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 06/10/2017 23:39:04
It's just that acsetup.cfg that Winsetup saves is now located in user directory.
Well that makes sense, as program files is not guaranteed to be writable.

Quote* Current user's global config file, applied for any AGS game.
This strikes me as problematic, though, as settings for one game are not guaranteed to work for another. For instance, suppose I normally play games in 320x200 and have set the DEFAULT config to scale at 3x. Then I play a 1024x768 game, and it won't initialize because at scale x3 this doesn't fit on my screen. So now a file that most users won't know about may cause other games to not work. I understand you're using it for debug purposes but I don't think this fits in a release version.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Radiant on Sat 07/10/2017 08:14:35
Quote* Current user's global config file, applied for any AGS game.
This strikes me as problematic, though, as settings for one game are not guaranteed to work for another. For instance, suppose I normally play games in 320x200 and have set the DEFAULT config to scale at 3x. Then I play a 1024x768 game, and it won't initialize because at scale x3 this doesn't fit on my screen. So now a file that most users won't know about may cause other games to not work. I understand you're using it for debug purposes but I don't think this fits in a release version.

It is only being used if you created one. And you cannot create it unknowingly, you should go to appropriate location on your HDD, create text file and write something into it.
Then, if display mode config is unusable for the game, engine will automatically adjust settings at startup. In your example the game window will be reduced to fit the screen.
Lastly, it were Linux people who asked for this and they are using it with release version.

Radiant

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 07/10/2017 15:48:49
It is only being used if you created one. And you cannot create it unknowingly,
I think that the installer script for Game A could create a global config that is incompatible with Game B. It shouldn't but it can.

Crimson Wizard

Very well, I will remove it on Windows.

Crimson Wizard

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7xzerukbcnjnst/ags--07-oct-2017-fixes.zip?dl=0

- Fixed scaling filters selection in default setup
- Disabled global config reading on Windows
- Fixed ShakeScreen for software renderer.

eri0o

Hey @Crimson Wizard, I get the above error on launch (double clicking the AGS icon) with this new build. :(

I just copy pasted the files in the c:\Program Files\Adventure Game Studio 3.4.1\ folder, over the latest 3.4.1-7 files, and ran AGS.

eri0o

@Crimson Wizard these now works flawlessly apparently, including the filters on Default Setup. I built my game using it and it worked. ;-D

You are awesome. :-*

Dave Gilbert

eri0o

Hey,is there any difference between this version and whats expected to be final release?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 13/10/2017 22:00:32
Hey,is there any difference between this version and whats expected to be final release?

Basically, I just need to finish updating the manual, but I was unexpectedly busy in last weeks and could not get to it yet.

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Fri 11/08/2017 22:09:33
I originally posted this in the wrong thread!

One odd glitch I'm noticing. If my computer has been on for a very long time (say, I leave it on overnight) and then I compile and run my game, the game will not accept ANY keyboard input. No escape, no press-key-to-advance-dialog, no nothing. I can't even type in names for save files. The only input it accepts is the mouse button. Rebooting my computer fixes the problem every time.

This could be an issue with my computer, but it's a problem that only surfaced with AGS 3.4.0. As a test I switched over to to a game compiled with earlier versions (before I rebooted, obviously) and they accepted keyboard inputs just fine.

Bit of an update regarding this. It turns out the problem was completely on my end. It had to do with using the Steam plugin under a VERY specific set of circumstances. I spoke to Michael Rittenhouse about it and he has fixed the plugin for me.

Crimson Wizard

Sorry for all the delay again. I am in an annoying situation when some job takes much of your time and you don't feel like doing anything else. Finally I am able to continue updating manual, and hope to create the "Release Candidate" of 3.4.1 maybe later this week.

Since people were asking about this before: current version is like 99.99% what final release suppose to be, so it should be safe to use now. On the other hand I won't be adding anything to it unless a critical error requires fixing (anything else goes into next development stage, whatever that would be).

Crimson Wizard

AGS 3.4.1 RC1
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/releases/betas/AGS-3.4.1-RC1/AGS-3.4.1-rc-1.zip
(also updated first post)

Changes since Beta 7:

Editor:
- Removed "this is beta!" warning.
- Added missing OpenGL driver selection to Default Setup.
- Fixed crash when importing old games which have extended editor version string saved in the project files.

Engine:
- Implemented vertical sync for OpenGL renderer.
- Actually fixed audio volume drop when new music starts playing during voice-over.
- Fixed speech portrait was displayed below GUI, contrary to speech text (thanks to eri0o for the tip).
- Properly toggle console upon play.debug_mode variable change in script.
- Fixed Speech.SkipStyle getter did not return correct value if it is set to eSkipTime.
- Disabled the use of the global AGS games config on Windows, by request.
- Fixed ShakeScreen command was causing graphic artifacts when game is run with software renderer.

* Updated the Manual.

EDIT: I just realized that forgot to add Linux build component to the Editor. Will do in couple of days (its just the matter of compiling Linux engine and libs).

CaptainD

I just wanted to pop into this thread to tell CW that's he's awesome and his hard work is massively appreciated.

selmiak

what the captain said!

+ I love reading your changelogs :D

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 05/11/2017 20:31:08
- Actually fixed ...

eri0o

Hey CW, I checked and things appear to build successfully and Vsync with OpenGL appears to work. Haven't checked the manual yet.

EDIT: Got some time to read the included help file and I saw the new default setup, the updates in global settings regarding script compatibility, the windowed property and to me the manual seems to be updated. (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk